Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken fairing brackets

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 09:42 PM
r0ckie
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Broken fairing brackets

Hello, all,

Some help please. I got stranded at the beach last week when the compensator on my 09 UC finally gave out at 33K. Got it started finally and to the dealer and they replaced for $588 in about 3 hours. So far so good.

But here's where I need help. They told me I also had broken fairing brackets and indicated it is a hard job to replace(remove radio, etc.)

My question is how hard is it really? Can't imagine why you'd have to remove the radio but I've never done this so maybe it's true. Also was told there 4 brackets - 2 for around $10 and the other 2 for around $50.

I ran across a thread that mentioned a repair kit but it only fits up through 08 batwings.

Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks in advance.

R0ckie
09 UC Pewter and white - Rush slip-ons, Xieds, Big Sucker on the way, a center stand and some sparkly pieces.

Old 05-18-2012, 10:25 PM
Challenger
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

No not hard at all. I replaced all of mine in a couple hours and the radio does not have to come out

Old 05-18-2012, 10:40 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by r0ckie
But here's where I need help. They told me I also had broken fairing brackets and indicated it is a hard job to replace (remove radio, etc.) My question is how hard is it really? Can't imagine why you'd have to remove the radio but I've never done this so maybe it's true. Also was told there 4 brackets - 2 for around $10 and the other 2 for around $50.
There are two small horizontal and two larger vertical brackets. The horizontals are easy to replace but the verticals are more difficult, and I think it would require removing the radio if you were replacing both of them.

The good news is that if your vertical brackets are broken you don't need to replace them. Instead, just repair them. I did a write-up on this a few years ago and to date the fix has held even through an accident that broke the outer fairing. There was also two other write-ups done not long ago that are worth reading. The third is a major project and would probably survive a direct hit by an RPG, but the other two are fairly quick fixes.

Write-up #1

Write-up #2

Write-up #3

A fourth write-up was my attempt to fortify the horizontals with a fabricated second bracket on each side. It is probably of use only for those with heavier-than-stock speakers.

Note that since I wrote that tutorial HD has upgraded the brackets and the new ones are sturdier and should last longer. I fixed my left-side vertical when it broke and fortified the right side, and have replaced the horizontals probably twice each in 5½ years and 54k miles. So far the new-style horizontals have not broken, but they haven't been installed very long.

Last edited by iclick; 05-18-2012 at 10:55 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:21 AM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts

You might give Dan A call. Maybe he has something new for your fairing.
raganfabworks@yahoo.com
By the way , his bracket repair kits work awesome.

Old 05-19-2012, 05:37 AM
smokeybones
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have Dan's kit...quick and easy, and it worked perfect!

Old 05-19-2012, 05:47 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,626 Posts

If you can hold a wrench & screwdriver in your hand - you can replace fairing brackets. One easy way to find out - take off outer fairing & look...they're very visible & then you can also check to see if the dealership was telling the truth. I check my brackets every year during pre-winter storage prep (10-min job).

Old 05-19-2012, 08:05 AM
Hrlyrider
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went to Home Depot bought 2 l brackets in the hardware section they are about one and half inches long on both sides and have holes drilled in them already. I layed it along the broken bracket remove the bolt from the broken piece into fairing. Put bolt through the hole in bracket and tighten then drill 2 holes in the stock bracket and bolt the L bracket to it, I used lock nuts so the will not vibrate off. Totaol of cost to repair was less then $5. It has never broken again.

Old 05-19-2012, 09:26 AM
aussiesport
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

'do yaself a favour and put the 2010 brackets in had the 09 ones replaced under warranty twice and then demanded they use the 2010 brackets the third time havent had any drama since

Old 05-19-2012, 09:38 AM
Terrabella
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Like all have said, this is very simple to do. I took two L brackets purchased from ACE Hardware, ground off one end to fit, drilled the holes and put in the bolts with nuts.

Attached Thumbnails Broken fairing brackets-dsc00756.jpg   Broken fairing brackets-dsc00754.jpg   Broken fairing brackets-dsc00753.jpg   Broken fairing brackets-dsc00746.jpg  
Old 05-19-2012, 11:35 AM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

guy on ebay sells repair kits that will not break again (if you just replace the stock with stock it will break again).

Quick Reply: Broken fairing brackets