Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roll off switch problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 05:18 PM
gobblerhuntr
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Roll off switch problem

Ok a week or so ago I posted a prob with my cruise not working. Front brake lever switch was bad and had cruise thinking the brakes were on so it wouldn't engage. I changed that switch and went for a ride today. Cruise did not work. The red cruise light would come on, when I hit the switch to activate cruise it would turn to green for just a second until the throttle rolled to either give it gas or let off. So I stopped for lunch and took the wires loose from the roll off switch. Headed down the road and the cruise worked like new. My big question is what if I leave it that way?? I am headed on a 4000 miler in a few weeks and need cruise. will it cause and problems?? Ideas?

Old 08-04-2012, 06:05 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Is this the switch down by your right foot (brake switch), the one they recalled last year?

Old 08-04-2012, 10:08 PM
Bill03E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

to get it to work correctly you need to do the lash procedure in the service manual, and it will work again, if you leave the switch disconnected you will have to hit the brakes to stop it, or turn off the rocker switch, some say it is dangerous to do it that way but that is how you do it in a car.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:10 AM
gobblerhuntr
Road Captain

Originally Posted by TUCCI
Is this the switch down by your right foot (brake switch), the one they recalled last year?
No this is the inline switch on the throttle cable itself that cancels cruise when you roll off the throttle. Located on the right side of the neck sorta under the tank.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:14 AM
gobblerhuntr
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Bill03E
to get it to work correctly you need to do the lash procedure in the service manual, and it will work again, if you leave the switch disconnected you will have to hit the brakes to stop it, or turn off the rocker switch, some say it is dangerous to do it that way but that is how you do it in a car.
Yeah I got the manual out trying to follow the cable lash initialzation procedure. The steps are:

1. push resume switch to resume and hold
2. turn cruise switch to on
3. turn key switch to ignition
4. start engine and the green cruise indicator will light after about three seconds release resume switch.

THAT'S WHERE I GOT. My cruise indicator would not turn green. Any ideas why that is?

Old 08-05-2012, 09:12 AM
gobblerhuntr
Road Captain

anyone?

Old 08-10-2012, 02:56 PM
tomweste
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default roll off switch

This is exactly the problem I had with my 07. I followed the diagnostics and everything pointed to the roll off switch. One would think this is a high tech device but it is actually a mechanical switch (contacts being held apart by foam rubber, so much for technology) After I made the following adjustment mine is now working.

The switch works by closing the contacts when you roll forward on the throttle sending a 12v current to the cruise module. There should be no current or continuity when the cruise is activated or the engine off.

Here's what you do...........

For starters I assume you know where the roll off switch is located.
Remove both connectors revealing the spade connectors.

Test for voltage 0r continuity with a multimeter, volt meter or continuity tester ..The switch should be open , meaning there should be no continuity or voltage running thru the switch. If you have continuity this means that you have a 12v current running thru the switch canceling your cruise control. (The contacts are closed, pinched together, touching)

Loosen the lock nut and Adjust the idle cable by backing it out 1 -2 turns. Test for continuity again. You may need to back it out more than 1 or 2 turns.

If the dealer is aware of a switch problem, adjustment is one of the first things they try.

Good Luck..............

Old 05-27-2019, 09:59 AM
Uinseann Di Simone
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tomweste
For starters I assume you know where the roll off switch is located.
looking into a friends CC issue on his 2006 RK, EFI.
manual on order.
so where is this switch located ?

Old 05-27-2019, 10:39 AM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

When I replaced my cables, my cruise control would not work. I discovered that you can adjust the cables as I did on my Dynas and it will work but the cruise control will not. I had to go back and readjust my cables by the book to make sure the roll-off switch was adjusted and the system would work. The procedure sequence in my manual is specific, adjust throttle full open, pull the connector off the cruise control module and put an ohmmeter on the switch inputs, and adjust the idle cable to make sure the switch stays open until the throttle is rolled forward, then adjust the cable lash.

The first time I ran the lash procedure after installing the rebuilt engine, it did exactly what the procedure said would happen, the engine RPM increased slightly and the light went out before I released the switch. When I ran it again after replacing the cables, the change in engine RPM was barely noticeable.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Last edited by skinman13; 05-27-2019 at 10:45 AM.
The following users liked this post:
dafrisco (05-27-2019)
Old 05-27-2019, 01:45 PM
hdbob2006
Stellar HDF Member
Received 419 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by Uinseann Di Simone
looking into a friends CC issue on his 2006 RK, EFI.
manual on order.
so where is this switch located ?
It's in the throttle return cable,right next to the frame neck.[like,between gas tank and front fairing.