Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Fairing

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 08:46 AM
wndchsr2
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Which Fairing

Ok guys, I know a few on here have purchased the Dead Center and the Reckless Fairings for Road Kings. I have made the decision to put a fairing on my Road King this winter and need some advice.

I have narrowed this down to either of these two brands..............Dead Center or Reckless. The Reckless Fairing is cheaper than the unit Dead Center offers, however cheaper isn't always better.

Since this is a big purchase for me I want to do everything I can so as to get the best one for my money. So my question is to you folks that have these two fairings...............Which one is the better of the two and why is one better than the other?

Will Harley accessories fit either of these fairings or are you stuck buying accessories from the fairing manufacturer?

Appreciate any advice.............Thanks.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:25 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 396 Likes on 338 Posts

Since nobody has responded to the specific questions- I can offer that I have seen the Memphis Shades RK fairing and thought is was a nicely finished quality piece.
And at under $400 retail seemed worth it.
I do not own one, my RK Pal was looking at options

so my 2¢ and a bump to the top.

Mike

Old 08-25-2012, 10:51 AM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My wife has the Reckless on her bike, for the price, I really can't complain, the painter didn't have to do a whole lot of work on it. She has the one with a stereo, the speakers are a wierd size, (they didn't have the 6x9 option then), but other than that, pretty happy with it.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:52 AM
wndchsr2
Road Captain

Originally Posted by mkguitar
Since nobody has responded to the specific questions- I can offer that I have seen the Memphis Shades RK fairing and thought is was a nicely finished quality piece.
And at under $400 retail seemed worth it.
I do not own one, my RK Pal was looking at options

so my 2¢ and a bump to the top.

Mike
The Memphis Shades is simply a shell, I am not interested in a shell like the Memphis Shades. I am wanting to get as close to the OEM style batwing as possible. The Dead Center and Reckless both appear to have an inner/outer shell which is close to an OEM design.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:54 AM
wndchsr2
Road Captain

Originally Posted by dbell66253
My wife has the Reckless on her bike, for the price, I really can't complain, the painter didn't have to do a whole lot of work on it. She has the one with a stereo, the speakers are a wierd size, (they didn't have the 6x9 option then), but other than that, pretty happy with it.
Yes the Reckless is the better priced option for sure. I do like the fact that a Dead Center has room above the stereo for a future mounting point for gauges if I was so inclined.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:28 PM
Bait56
Club Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I checked most of the brands out while at Sturgis this year; I consider Reckless the best deal for the money and it will be my next large expendature.

Last edited by Bait56; 08-25-2012 at 12:31 PM.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:51 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,527 Likes on 1,422 Posts

I have been researching this for some time, and I just ordered a Reckless XL for my 'King. I have not seen any better quality out there, smooth fit and finish. Went with the Bluetooth Reciever, 6X9 Polks, two tone painted, two shields, the works.
Looking forward to this quick connect baby to add more versatility and comfort for fall/winter rides. Plenty of excellent reviews on Reckless, not so on some others.
"Don't you buy no ugly fairing!"

Old 08-25-2012, 01:15 PM
booch
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a Deadcenter. I don't think you will find anything bad said about them unlike some other choices.
Great quality, finish and customer service.
Room above stereo for gauges or in my case a GPS.
Uses standard harley accessories and windshield mounts (I have a Klockwerks)
Best part is it comes off in less than a minute when I want to ride without it.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:10 PM
Mikee930
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had the Hoppe Industries Quadzilla fairing since 2005 and love it. The others you are considering look similar and I have no experience with them but this may be another option for you to consider if you are not familiar with this brand.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:32 AM
Wildland
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

booch, what bars are those? They look great!

Quick Reply: Which Fairing