Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 Ultra headlight upgrade, need input

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 08:32 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts
Default 09 Ultra headlight upgrade, need input

I determined it's time to upgrade my stock headlight. My stock headlight with stock bulb doesn't cut it. The deer population is larger than ever in PA and I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I don't want to spend a fortune because I don't ride too often at night on country roads but when it happens I want to be able to see better than with the stock headlight. So I won't spend $500 for an LED headlight.

I won't replace my auxiliary lights. I have amber sealed beams and I want to keep them. They help me get noticed in traffic and that's another requirement.

So basically, I want a better traditional headlight and my choice is 7" e-code headlight with a powerful H4 bulb (not watts but lumens).
My questions are the following:

1) Hella or Cibie? Which one is the best 7" e-code in terms of illumination/beam pattern, quality of the lens/reflector, looks etc.....
2) What H4 bulb? I don't want a blueish light. I want white. I used Sylvania Silverstar H4 ST in the past and loved it. Is it still a good pick or is there anything even better now?
3) where to get the best deal?

Thanks for your input.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:49 AM
menmia
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Hella e-code and a DDM Tuning HID 5000K kit. The combination comes in at less than $100, and puts out great light. Honestly, I could have stuck with the stock reflector, but I do like the light pattern the Hella puts out. The DDM kit was a very easy install too.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:50 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I know you say you want traditional style headlight. But for what you would spend on a decent e-code headlight, good replacment bulb and subsequent replacement bulbs you could grab a Truck Lite Phase 7 LED headlight. $217.31 shipped from Dicsount Fleet Supply using promo code HDLED5. Way below the $500 for the HD LED. Awesome light and gives you a great beam of light that extends for a good distance forward as well as out to the sides.

Just an option.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:57 AM
old v twin
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default E code headlight

The link below is where I bought mine and the Osram Rallye 70/65 H4 bulb plus a spare.

Went with Cibie over others as the lens is convex versus flat and it seemed to have the better optics due to the reflector.

Amazed me on the first night ride, before alignment, even better after alignment.

Quality product, great service from the seller.

http://headlightservices.com/Headlamps.html

Old 08-26-2012, 10:19 AM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

Frenchie... You're just a few days too late. I just sold my Hella E Code/PIAA Super Plasma bulb combo to another forum member. I replaced it with the Truck Lite Phase 7 from the link above ($217/shipped). The E Code/PIAA bulb was a very good improvement for the cost of approx $85/new. I got my Hella E code from www.quadratec.com . The Truck Lite Phase 7 is fantastic ! During the day, the Phase 7 on low is not distinctly noticeable but it's not offensive on high beam (and much more noticeable). At night, the whiter light is a great improvement in both low/high beam. Obviously a much bigger expense but it works very sweet. Like you, I run amber spot lights and the contrast in lighting is very distinct and easy to see. You can't go wrong either way but the Phase 7 LED certainly lights it up much better .......

Last edited by troop; 08-26-2012 at 10:24 AM.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:34 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by troop
Frenchie... You're just a few days too late. I just sold my Hella E Code/PIAA Super Plasma bulb combo to another forum member. I replaced it with the Truck Lite Phase 7 from the link above ($217/shipped). The E Code/PIAA bulb was a very good improvement for the cost of approx $85/new. I got my Hella E code from www.quadratec.com . The Truck Lite Phase 7 is fantastic ! During the day, the Phase 7 on low is not distinctly noticeable but it's not offensive on high beam (and much more noticeable). At night, the whiter light is a great improvement in both low/high beam. Obviously a much bigger expense but it works very sweet. Like you, I run amber spot lights and the contrast in lighting is very distinct and easy to see. You can't go wrong either way but the Phase 7 LED certainly lights it up much better .......
What??? You had one for sale and you didn't contact your buddies to know if they were interested??? <sigh>
I have a friend here who has the Phase 7 LED and he loves it, but he rides at night much more often than me and he lives 30 miles outside of Pittsburgh. If I was in the same predicament, I'd go with LED for sure. I live only 8 miles from the city so I don't see as many critters on the road as he does.
Missed you Fri night and last night at Marty-Gras. We had a great time. Always good to see old friends. You shoulda came with Fritz who surprised us when she showed up Friday night. (she flew from Minneapolis).
Next year's Vulcan Forum Reunion is gonna be in Eastern KY/Eastern TN, close to the Smokie Mntns. Can't wait to go back there. Hope you'll make it.
Take care.

Old 08-26-2012, 11:10 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,962 Likes on 21,519 Posts

Osram 80/100 watt in mine w/a Kissan modulator.
Helps to be seen in the day time.

Heard that the LED headlights are not real visible in the day-time. FWIW..

Old 08-26-2012, 11:13 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by lionsm13
Osram 80/100 watt in mine w/a Kissan modulator......
Stock headlight?

Old 08-26-2012, 11:16 AM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by lionsm13
Osram 80/100 watt in mine w/a Kissan modulator.
Helps to be seen in the day time.

Heard that the LED headlights are not real visible in the day-time. FWIW..
Excellent point.. If night time visibility is 2ndary to daytime visibility, a modulator is a great idea. For night time, the LED is the real deal. High beam during the day is good w/out being too offensive. Plus, they draw less amperage for brighter spots

Old 08-26-2012, 11:28 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,962 Likes on 21,519 Posts

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
Stock headlight?
Yep, Stock..

The last 80/100 Osram only lasted a year, but for $15.00 it was worth it.
The modulator was about $100.

For what they get for the LED headlight's that would be about 40-50 years worth I figure..

Quick Reply: 09 Ultra headlight upgrade, need input