Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cover replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 03:42 PM
batone
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cover replacement

I am sure this has been asked and answered, but I cannot find what I am looking for by using the "amazing" search link. I will apologize if it is repetitive or if I am asking in the wrong location. I have a 2012 Street glide. I am replacing all engine covers, (Primary, Cam, Top and side trans). I need to know if these are easy unbolt and bolt on or are they more involved. I am fairly mechanically inclined, but I think my name is from an Indian word meaning anything that can go wrong will. It appears from the manual, that the Primary cover should be fairly easy and straight unbolt/bolt.

I can tell from the diagram that the side trans(clutch) might be a problem. I know that there are three ball bearings in there and I can hear them hitting the floor and rolling away now.

The cam cover also worried me, because I have read post about holding up the lifters? Not sure why you would need to since pushrods stay put.

Has anyone done this? Any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:02 PM
Armstronges
Road Captain

the cam/timing cover is easy. Just a cover. The primary/derby will leak some fluid. Don't know about the tranny.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:03 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,025 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Lifters are only affected if you remove the cam plate itself. You would only be removing the cover.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:07 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,025 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Originally Posted by Armstronges
the cam/timing cover is easy. Just a cover. The primary/derby will leak some fluid. Don't know about the tranny.
He's talking about the actual covers, not the derby and timing covers.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:16 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 396 Likes on 338 Posts

for the tranny end cover ( often called "trap door")- it is straight forward, and with the manual in hand you can figure out what to do with the ball and ramp mechanism.

here is my tip:

ONCE the trap door bolts are loosened slightly,

roll your tires up on a 2 x 4, and put the bike on the jiffy stand-- ensure that it is stable- get a Pal to balance for you if needed...

you can then pull the trap door without dumping fluid all over the floor, about a tablespoon will leak out.

when putting the trap door back on, the new torque spec for the bolts is 25 ft lbs

mike

Old 08-28-2012, 04:40 PM
Hammy
Tourer

you'll have to remove the exhaust to switch the cam cover, having the exhaust off will also make it easier to get the trans trap door off. Remember to get new exhaust gaskets, and to pull out the old ones.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:01 PM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammy
you'll have to remove the exhaust to switch the cam cover, having the exhaust off will also make it easier to get the trans trap door off. Remember to get new exhaust gaskets, and to pull out the old ones.
I'll have to keep this in mind for when I put my ceramic head pipe on. Might be the best time if I decide to make a change.