Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with Power Commander V

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 08:49 PM
danzio
Stellar HDF Member
Received 578 Likes on 305 Posts
Default Help with Power Commander V

Hey guys, I thought I was a fairly tech savvy guy but I'm having trouble understanding how the PCV map input works.

Last week I installed the Fuel Moto retro-fitted PCV onto my '07 Ultra. I believe they sent me a pre-mapped unit based on the upgrades I told them were on the bike. I did see some improvement to some of the conditions I had been experiencing without the PCV, mainly I was concerned about new pinging that started when my stock "Y" pipe was switched out to a V&H True Dual header, then followed up with the Rinehart slip ons that were on previously. The pinging issue is still there, although much improved. So I contacted FM with my concerns and they sent me a new map.

So my question is, how do I pull the old map off and replace it with the new one? I don't just want to overwrite what's on there now, I want to save that one as well.

When I hook up the USB cable to the PCV and my laptop, I don't see the existing map. Do I need drivers beyond what is on the PCV software, which I installed the latest version from the Power Commander website?

Thanks for any help.
Dan

Old 08-30-2012, 09:38 PM
Armstronges
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you hook the computer to the pcv and turn the ignition on you should see an option to "get map". When you select that it displays the map that is on the pcv. Then you can save it.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:49 PM
danzio
Stellar HDF Member
Received 578 Likes on 305 Posts

You see that, I didn't know the ignition needed to be on. I was afraid to turn it on. I didn't get any instructions with regards to on the bike programming.

Thank you for your response.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:54 PM
stuart1270
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Armstronges
When you hook the computer to the pcv and turn the ignition on you should see an option to "get map". When you select that it displays the map that is on the pcv. Then you can save it.
Also when you save it. Give it a name so you know which map it is.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:35 PM
RoadGlideGary
Tourer
Default Pcv

You don't need the ignition on. The PCV is powered via the USB connection when the bike is off. You can down load instructions from the dynojet web site. If you got it from Jamie (FM) give them a call they will talk you through it. Pretty simple after the first few times. get the AT and you will be set - go with FM for that too.

Last edited by RoadGlideGary; 08-31-2012 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Frick'n auto spell!
Old 08-31-2012, 09:32 PM
Armstronges
Road Captain

You can send a map to it without the ignition but you can't retrieve it.

Old 09-01-2012, 01:06 AM
ke5rbd
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

First plug the usb into PCV and the Computer. Open the PCV software and mine will pull up the map you are running on. No need to ever turn on the ignition. Not a problem if you do. If it doesn't pull up the map click GET MAP and it will pull it up. The map is pulled up in the left window. You have to click on the function you want displayed, such as Fuel or Ignition. If you don't make any changes you don't have to resend. If you want a new map installed open the one you want and then send it to the PCV. If you are running a switch for map 1 and Map 2 you need to turn the ignition on and some times start the bike to make sure you are looking at the correct map as it will identify the switch setting in the right window and both maps appear in the left window. The dual maps can get a little confusing. Just pay attention to which map position the switch is in and which map you are working on. I rename mine as to map 1 and map 2 and only save them this way.

Old 09-01-2012, 04:55 AM
Watch Guy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default All you need to do is eliminate the timing

Once you've plugged in and opened the map, click on 'Ignition' on the left hand column and look for any numbers other than zero in any of the squares. (those columns within the RPM and % of throttle columns) Most maps I've seen from Dynojet and Fuel Moto have some timing in them and it is not needed. So highlite each box that isn't zero and press zero (not o) and then go to the next box and do the same. Once you have eliminated all the numbers other that zero, and replaced them with zero's, press 'Send Map' I had pinging with as little as 3 degrees of advance and with most good quality gas, advance is just not needed unless your bike is running high compression pistons. Let me know if this helps.