Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise control roll off switch

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 09:52 PM
slickrick_58
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The switch is so simple and crude it is almost laughable. It consists of 2 discs seperated by a foam like insulator. When you roll back on the throttle it squeezes the foam insulator until the 2 discs make contact and ground out the cruise. Doesn't hurt a thing to disconnect it. It is also easy to adjust. You may want to loosen the cable, slide the cover back and inspect the discs and insulator. You may have a simple problem with a simple fix. I rarely use the rolloff, but I like having it for when I do want to use it.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:41 AM
Esuomm1
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dawg
Bikes with throttle cables and cruise control have a roll off switch in the throttle cable that allows one to "roll off" or roll the throttle forward and stop the cruise control
Ah, cool.

Thanks for the education.

J

Old 08-30-2014, 06:15 PM
Bratushka
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking general questions about roll off swith

I'm doing a handle bar swap for a friend on a 2002 FLHRi. Just got ready to do the throttle/return cable swap when I saw the switch on the return side and thought "Uh-oh!" I checked my 2002 Touring Bike HD parts manual and unless it's crammed secretively somewhere in the back I didn't see this cable where the other throttle cables were shown.

The new, extended return cable obviously does not have one and being the cables need to be 6" over using the stock ones is a no-go.

My questions are:

1) What happens if I install a switchless cable regarding how the bike operates? To tell the truth I'm not certain this RK even has cruise other than that **** at the bottom of the throttle housing. (I just sent the owner a text to double check)

2) It was mentioned several times thru this and other threads that one wire is sometimes disconnected. When I fished it out from behind the tank it appeared only the orange wire was connected on the spade lug of the switch and the purple with stripe was bent back. What would that do/not do IF the bike has cruise since obviously only one wire makes the switch effectively inoperative?

3) If this is an important component why doesn't the after market offer extended cables with a switch? I looked a hundreds of cable sets and never saw one by anybody with a switch.

I know it's a holiday weekend but I gotta take care of my friends who trust me enough to spin wrenches on their bikes and have for 3 plus decades. Gonna be burnin' some midnight oil!

Last edited by Bratushka; 08-30-2014 at 06:18 PM.