Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for more performance....Advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 05:27 PM
okieblue62
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Looking for more performance....Advice needed

I'm currently riding a 2010 Ultra with the 96" motor, Stage 1 flash and air cleaner, Vance and Hines True Dual headpipes, 4" Rinehart mufflers and Fuelpak. It runs decent but I'm looking for a little more .

Ive just ordered a Power Commander 5 from Jamie and am contemplating my next move. I'm considering the Stage 2 big bore 103" kit from Harley and here is my question.

Will I see that big a power and torque increase out of the big bore kit or would I see about the same increase just adding the 255 cams to my 96"? I'm looking for seat of the pants bang for my buck. Torque is what I'm mainly looking for and cost effectiveness.

What say you?

Old 09-17-2012, 05:43 PM
kmayHD
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well the cam swap is going to be the cheaper route no doubt, the right cams, and the right tune on that PC5 should be just right! I believe that the 255s are more of a HP cam (please correct me if im wrong) Theres alot of guys on here that have done cams on their 96s, im sure theyll chime in with there experiences. There are many sharp guys on here, watch for the informative responses!

Old 09-17-2012, 05:49 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 237 Likes on 154 Posts

255's are most definitely a torque cam. I think they are one of the best bang for the buck options for people wanting to stay 96".

Zach

Old 09-17-2012, 05:53 PM
kmayHD
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

See, I guess I was out to lunch on that one! Andrews 21s fall in that low end torque range as well, my dad just put em in his 88 for more grunt riding 2-up.

The MoCo says: 255

The ultimate in torque cams, this cam offers substantial increase in low-end torque for engines up to 110 cubic inches with compression ratios up to 10 to 1. The low-end torque increases are great for heavy bikes or for the person who routinely shifts below 4500 rpm and wants the power available to pass without downshifting. The cam still makes peak power above 5000 rpm so people with lighter bikes will enjoy the torque increases without feeling like the bike runs out of air at higher engine speeds. Compression releases may be required depending on displacement and compression ratio. Kit includes front and rear cams. Splined rear cam is included for exceptional load handling capacity. Gaskets and bearings not included. Dealer installation is recommended, and special tools are required for proper installation. Cam Installation Kit P/N 17045-99C (sold separately) includes are required gaskets, bearings and seals for proper installation. All EFI models require ECM calibration.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:07 PM
buggin02
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Cams in a 96" may be just the ticket you are looking for but there is no replacement for displacement.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:30 PM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

If your going to stay with SE parts the SE204cams are great in touring 95,96 or 103 engines. They will give you more bang for your $ than a BB kit alone

Old 09-17-2012, 06:38 PM
jmudbug
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to agree the se 204 in my road king really woke it up

Old 09-17-2012, 06:40 PM
MikeTD3
Road Master

Received 205 Likes on 117 Posts

I spent $120 on take out SE255s and $130 for installation with inner bearings (independent shop), so far it's the best money spent on the bike. I think the 255s are a great addition to stock 96" motor. I'll revisit the cams when it's time to go to a 107"

My $.02

Old 09-17-2012, 06:58 PM
WestTexasRanger
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by okieblue62

Ive just ordered a Power Commander 5 from Jamie and am contemplating my next move. I'm considering the Stage 2 big bore 103" kit from Harley and here is my question.

Will I see that big a power and torque increase out of the big bore kit or would I see about the same increase just adding the 255 cams to my 96"? I'm looking for seat of the pants bang for my buck. Torque is what I'm mainly looking for and cost effectiveness.

What say you?
I'm kind of surprised that you went with the Power Commander 5 over the Power Vision. I know that the Power Vision cost more, but it is one of the most powerful tuning tools that you can buy.

There are lots of Dyno Charts on the Fuel Moto website (look under exhaust, cams and the 107" kit). These can provide you with good information as far as "Bang for the Buck".

The SE255 cams are torque cams that come on early, put start to lose their punch after 4,500 rpms. Fuel Moto has a dyno chart that compares them directly to the Woods TW-555 and the 555 is the clear winner.

I was going to install the Woods cams in my 2011 96" Ultra Classic, which also requires adjustable push rods, new cam bearings and a gasket kit. Since I would already have the exhaust system off to access the cam case, I then begin to ponder having my cylinders bored-out and fitted with the appropriate pistons to make it a 103". After a long talk with Jamie, I decided to go with the Fuel Moto 107 Big Bore kit that has EVERYTHING included, except the mechanic. I figured that I could mess around with lots of different combinations and possibly be disappointed or go with a proved package.

To quote Jamie: No question about it the 107 will absolutely crush a 103" build, especially one with low compression cast pistons. The dyno charts only tell part of the story, the 107 is truly that much stronger.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:28 PM
Turbo38gn
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by buggin02
Cams in a 96" may be just the ticket you are looking for but there is no replacement for displacement.

Ya there is.... a TURBO!!

Quick Reply: Looking for more performance....Advice needed