Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who has LED acc lights?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 06:43 PM
kustom78
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default who has LED acc lights?

i just bought 16 ft of flexable weatherproof led RGB light strips with the remote and control box, hoping to get them on this coming weekend, looking to light up under the bags frame and up under the tank.

anyone have pics or good ideas on lighting it up?

Old 09-17-2012, 06:49 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Ahhh no.

Sort of like spinners were to cars as rope lights are to harleys.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:52 PM
kustom78
Tourer

ummm idk about that, every bar i go to about 90% have LEDs lighting up at least the engine, besides there gunna be hidden and not visable

Old 09-17-2012, 08:17 PM
BandT
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i pondered LEDs on my ultra limited but when i talked to a few people they all said the same thing. LEDs are usually only good for a few years then random lights start going out and light strips get brittle and began to crack not to mention the wiring nightmare that follows making repairs. i dont know if any of this is true but it scared me away from the idea.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:10 PM
sawbones25
Cruiser

I like them. Bought a $50 kit from eBay, then added a few more. Did the install myself. Hid all the lights so all you see is the blue glow instead of the individual bulbs...

Old 09-17-2012, 09:18 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't have any pics but I've had leds on 2 different bikes for about 5 years, usually run them under each side of the tank, on the frame under the engine but not directly parallel to the road, front and rear fender, supports under the saddle bag, and a couple of other places.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:34 PM
bucket772
Cruiser

Custom Dynamics kit. Lights under front wheel, tank, horn, A/C and rear fender supports

For the Super Glide, under tank, horn, A/C and fender. Havent fount suitable light for the front wheel yet.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:11 PM
kustom78
Tourer

looks good i bought a flexable RGB light strip thats 16 ft long, and 4 connectors along with 15 ft of flat r,g,bu and bl ribbon wires for $50 and just need to solder it all together, oh and there 505 leds not 3528's i can pick from about 25 different colors make it fade scroll or flash as well as adjust brightness and how fast it flashes.

just didnt want to invest in a solid color LED as i dont know what color paint i will have in a year or 2

Old 09-17-2012, 11:36 PM
bucket772
Cruiser

Im not a professional by any means but I have lit more then a few bikes. Best advice I can give you is this. It sounds like you can cut the rope to a custom length and make your own connections? If so I would do that rather then try and use a longer length and snaking it around. When I do lights I try to hide the lights as best I can so that only the light is seen, and not to be able to see the actual light strip. Personally I think when the physical lights are seen (stuck on the outside of frame, tanks, covers, etc) it looks like garbage and takes away from the effect of the lights. But to each his own. I would make at least 4 separate tubes ( 2 under tank, and two under bags(or fender supports). Depending on the size of the tubes and how many connections you can make you might have a hard time under the horn and A/C. You shouldn't have a problem under the frame if you want to light the ground either. For the front fender I mounted 2 strips and tied the right light into the left under the fender, then only had to run one power line up. Another thing I did was group the wires into a distribution block. I did this to isolate problems if they come up down the road. I know now if my bag lights go out, it is not a problem with the front wheel. Likewise if the tank goes out its not an issue with the motor lights. But that's me. Also that will allow you more options when fading colors. If you choose to fade colors from say front to back, wiring it groups will allow you to, for lack of a better term, cascade the colors. Example would be maybe running all blue, then starting with the front fender, hit a button and it turns red and flows red from the fender to the motor to the frame to the bags. I've never done a kit like that but I don't see a reason why it couldn't be done. As long as the controller can handle it.

Hope this info helps and please post pics when done

Old 09-17-2012, 11:55 PM
ROLLNTIGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Any reason to make a Cop pull me over... NOPE I'll pass. And yes they can pull you over for "Excessive Lighting" Blue's and the Red's mostly.

Quick Reply: who has LED acc lights?