Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 103" Ping

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 08:12 AM
chief1600
Road Master
Received 102 Likes on 55 Posts
Default 2012 103" Ping

Does anyone know if the new factory tune that my dealer told me would be coming from the MOCO to correct pinging in the 2012 103s has been released to the dealers yet? My pinging isn't getting better, in fact worse. It used to not ping until the motor was warmed up but now it does it right away. Can't stand it. I'd like to get the update prior to winter layup so I know what I'm going into come April. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Old 10-17-2012, 06:16 AM
eugenetaylor
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mines getting worse also

Old 10-17-2012, 06:32 AM
09 YELLOWBIRD
Grand HDF Member
Received 820 Likes on 527 Posts

I am not aware of a "new factory tune" as such.
Sometimes the sales folks at some dealers will tell you anything, and sometimes they really don't know much.

My suggestion is to get a really good turner (TTS Mastertune Turner, etc) new head pipe to get rid of the heat, and a stage 1 air cleaner.

Our motorcycles are basically as lean as they can be to meet EPA standards. The more air it can breath in and breath out, the better.

There are some really great choices since 2009 for turners and headers for the frame change. Do your homework and make the right choice.

Opinions of which turner, headers, slip-ons, and stage 1 kits are just that opinions.

With the utmost respect, I choose the "Fulsac" system. "Fuel Moto" would also be another great choice.

Doing the above will get rid of most if not all of your "pinging" and heat.

Ride Safe and Good Luck with your project!

YELLOWBIRD

Old 10-17-2012, 10:45 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Or if $ is tight from just buying a $25k motorcycle get a basic tuner that allows you to manipulate the timing tables. I purchased a PCV and got into the timing tables where your feeling/ hearing the pinging and 1 degree at a time start retarding the timing until all or most of the pinging is gone. There are a few out there but make sure you can pull the tables up on a laptop or you will be at the mercy of someone on the other end of the phone.....

Old 10-17-2012, 11:43 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

if your bike is pinging, document the conditions under which it occurs.

repeatedly take these concerns to the dealer, and get documentation.

if they will not get you a work order, start a log. including the date, time and names of "representatives" with which you have contact.

This is to build a case should you have motor failure- also document the fuel purchases to show the recommended grade of fuel is being used ( and use more that one brand as some stations do sell regular as premium)

pinging will damage a motor and may get worse as the aluminum is damaged in the heads or pistons...if you think this is happening to your under-warranty bike, then document and have the warranty correct any damages.

this is all assuming that the bike is stock- if you have made changes, then the variables increase.

on my 09 when stock it would ping under certain conditions;
2800~3200 rpms on 6% or greater grades ( 6% is standard for our mtn roads)

I solved that with nightrider.com xieds- about $100

after that I was able to do a stage 1 to good effect

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 10-17-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:18 PM
kq2dc7
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Worth HD in Kansas City replaced my ECM on my 2012 RK to rid it of the pinging. They also did a friends 12 ultra.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:28 PM
chief1600
Road Master

Update - I had the new update installed on my ECM on Saturday. I don't think it did anything. I still have the issue when I get up to 2800 -3000 RPMs. Sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't. They told me at the dealer my next option would be to work with corporate on a buy back or spend the money to do the stage 1. I just totally disagree that I should be paying for something that shouldn't be happening. I just purchased a new GMC pickup in December and it doesn't ping. My bike shouldn't either. I don't think this fight is over. I guess I'll have to listen to it ping all the way to Albuquerque. I leave in 3 weeks on a 2 week trip. I sure hope I don't have problems...

Old 04-29-2013, 12:47 PM
smkinnan
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chief1600
Update - I had the new update installed on my ECM on Saturday. I don't think it did anything. I still have the issue when I get up to 2800 -3000 RPMs. Sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't. They told me at the dealer my next option would be to work with corporate on a buy back or spend the money to do the stage 1. I just totally disagree that I should be paying for something that shouldn't be happening. I just purchased a new GMC pickup in December and it doesn't ping. My bike shouldn't either. I don't think this fight is over. I guess I'll have to listen to it ping all the way to Albuquerque. I leave in 3 weeks on a 2 week trip. I sure hope I don't have problems...
ok, maybe this has been asked already but what octane fuel are you running? You should be running premium in it.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:05 PM
chief1600
Road Master

Originally Posted by smkinnan
ok, maybe this has been asked already but what octane fuel are you running? You should be running premium in it.
91 octane or better as much as possible. Nothing less than 91 since July of last year. I've even tried octane boost and it doesn't make a damn bit of difference.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:08 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

If you want your $27.000 bike to run right get it breathing and do something that lowers the AFR. Its a worthwhile investment, your bike will thank you!

Quick Reply: 2012 103" Ping