Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2:1 Exhaust Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 09:47 AM
Shawrco
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2:1 Exhaust Question

Considering the Supertrapp SuperMeg setup to install after 103" engine upgrades. They are pricey so looking for opinion on how a 2010 stock 2:1 with CAT REMOVED and NightStick slipon would perform compared to the SuperMeg. The mufflers are very similar (if not the same?) with the tuneable discs and closed or open end caps. I guess the big difference will be the flow in the header pipes and size/shape of the collector area?

Ebay has lots of the 2010 street/road glide systems for sale - are they that bad?

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:35 AM
SmittyFXDL
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a 2010 street glide and I tried the cat removal and added a thunderheader and it was nothing but annoying decel pop. I eventually went to a Dragula 2-1 performance exhaust which was night and day difference over the decatted pipe with slipon.
If your going to do it right, do it right the first time. The extra money spent on the Dragula will be well worth it in performance and no regrets. Call Frank and talk to him first. He is a wealth of information regarding 2-1 performance pipes and may even have some specials or discounts to help out with.

Now if you ever consider true duals? MGS hands down. Thats what im running now and absolutely love love love em.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:46 AM
hillcountryflt
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

I have the supermeggs on my 06 and like them. If I could have afforded it, I probably would have gone with the fuel moto 2:1 setup with the ceramic coated pipes - should help dissipate heat.
But as it was I got a good buy on the supertrapps - about $600.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:37 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawrco
Considering the Supertrapp SuperMeg setup to install after 103" engine upgrades. They are pricey so looking for opinion on how a 2010 stock 2:1 with CAT REMOVED and NightStick slipon would perform compared to the SuperMeg. The mufflers are very similar (if not the same?) with the tuneable discs and closed or open end caps. I guess the big difference will be the flow in the header pipes and size/shape of the collector area?

Ebay has lots of the 2010 street/road glide systems for sale - are they that bad?

Thanks in advance.
Not getting into a big catalys argument with anyone, but I can tell you that the cat is not the restriction in the OEM 2:1 system, and that is the system we are talking about here. The bottle neck is the collector outlet, it is actually smaller(1.550) than the two individual primary tubes(1.625) that feed it. Most aftermarket 2:1 systems use a collector with a 2 1/2" outlet. I'm not convinced that 2 1/2" is necessary, but I do know that a collector necked down smaller than the primaries is a restriction. That said, I'm running the complete OEM 2:1 system on my 88" and it works very well performance wise with very little noise, which is what I wanted. I have another complete OEM 2:1 system that I plan to modify by enlarging the collector outlet, not sure when I'll get around to it. You are up over 100"s, you are right at the edge of needing 1 7/8" primary tubes, its a tough choice but if you have plans of bumping the displacement up, I would go 1 7/8", if not stay with standard 1 3/4" primaries. Best of luck in your quest for an exhaust you like, a daunting task for sure. I think you would also be happy with the Supertrapp, it would be my first choice for a quiet performance system.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:56 PM
GerryAtrik
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running the 2-1 supertrapp supermeg. Got it with my fuel Moto package. Runs great and has all the power I need riding 2 up fully packed for trips.

Old 10-23-2012, 01:06 PM
1sweetglide08
Outstanding HDF Member

I would also take a look at Vance and Hines Pro Pipe. It's a well made exhaust that looks and performs well.

Last edited by 1sweetglide08; 10-24-2012 at 05:49 AM.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:54 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Another Supermeg here, on my 107" Evo. Sounds wonderful, not too loud and gives remarkably smooth flow of torque. Best way to travel!

Old 10-23-2012, 04:25 PM
dhellyer08
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on the Pro Pipe!

Old 10-23-2012, 05:19 PM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member
Received 424 Likes on 255 Posts

+1 on the Dragula...you won't regret it.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:13 PM
GerryAtrik
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 1sweetglide08
I would also take a look at Vance and Hines Pro Pipe. It's a well made pipe exhaust that looks and performs well.
Buddy has a pro pipe and loves it on his ultra classic. It has open end cap and is very well made with good fitment. Little louder than my supertrapp. His only issue was it touched his right side foot board. He fixed that with a set of Harley goodies.

I'm running 20 discs (on supertrapp) and closed end cap on mine as that is the recommendation by supertrapp for best general performance. Quality on the chrome and ends doesn't seem to be as good as the pro pipe. My heat shields fit very close and almost "snap-on" over the pipe. I haven't noticed any heat issues since changing my tune provided by fuel Moto. I had no issues with it too close to my right side floorboard, but put a set of Harley goodies on anyway.

Quick Reply: 2:1 Exhaust Question