Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Battery?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 07:22 PM
fltr/fxrs
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harley Battery?

I heard that Deka is the company that makes Harley batteries - was wondering if the battery made for Harley is any different than the one they sell on their own? I've had good luck with Harley batteries - but I can get a Deka for quite a bit less money - don't want to do it if the battery is not as good - also if there is another battery that anyone has used with as good or better results than the H-D battery please let me know -
any feedback would be appriciated - FXRS

This battery would be for a 2001 Raod Glide

Old 10-30-2012, 07:29 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 645 Likes on 513 Posts

deka makes hd and several other brands,u cab get em at pep boys, batterymart.com,batteries plus.and save a few $.same batteries with possible having slightly different cable mounts for universal fit.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:51 AM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Buy the deka.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:02 AM
Scaredofrain
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Would Deka not build the HD battery to HD spec's where as their normal ones are more generic? Are the sizes the same, the pole positions and sizes?

Old 10-31-2012, 05:46 AM
danny54
Tourer
Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Yuasa makes the best motorcycle battery out there.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:06 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,650 Likes on 3,410 Posts

I have had a ETX30L Big Crank from Battery Mart.com for about 2 years now...I think i paid $89 shipped...I am pretty sure it came in a Deka box. I woud buy it again.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:12 AM
Terrabella
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
I have had a ETX30L Big Crank from Battery Mart.com for about 2 years now...I think i paid $89 shipped...I am pretty sure it came in a Deka box. I woud buy it again.
+1 on that. I have the same ETX30L and it has been great.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:49 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Terrabella
+1 on that. I have the same ETX30L and it has been great.
Another +1 on that......

Old 10-31-2012, 08:20 AM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 650 Likes on 468 Posts

The idea of Deka making the battery to Harley specs is an interesting thought. I have seen batteries made by Johnson Controls vary greatly in their dependability. Original batteries in Fords seem to go for at least 5 years, had an Autozone battery go for 2 months less than the 8 year guaranty, thought that was excellent, another of the same type died in 3 years. I have tried a couple WalMart batteries (also made by Johnson Controls, I am told) die in 14 months. Gave up on those after the second one.

Having read about failing batteries taking out the stator and voltage regulator during the slow failure phase I replaced my factory Harley battery at about 3 years because it was having trouble getting through the first compression stroke especially on hot starts. The Big Crank (Deka replacement) seemed good at the beginning but sooner than I realized, it began having trouble getting through the first compression stroke. When I finally put a volt meter on it during the start the voltage dropped to 7.6 during the first revolution. The battery had been in use for 15 months. The extremely favorable reviews in here made me suspect I had gotten a rare bad example so I bought another one. I just installed it and it spins through the first stroke with ease, hot or cold and maintains over 10 volts through the first revolution. Time will tell if it maintains this performance longer than the other one did. MOST Harley factory batteries seem to go at least 3 years yet one example of the "same" battery didn't make half that time. Are they really the same inside? It would be nice to get the straight story from someone who is knowledgeable and trustworthy (not trying to sell one battery over another). If the two batteries really are the same, selling one at almost twice the price seems almost criminal. Buyer beware.

For those wondering, I made all the voltage, stator checks and clean tight connection checks prior to each battery replacement and during periodic maintenance..

Old 10-31-2012, 08:29 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,526 Likes on 1,421 Posts

Check the born on dates, buy fresh.

Quick Reply: Harley Battery?