Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil presure problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 09:48 PM
dgriffith
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil presure problem

After a long talk with my local mechanic at the dealership. We talked about oil coolers, 07 cam/oil pump changeover and changing back to dino oil. To get rid of lifter noise and low oil pressure when hot, he said he could change out the pump relief spring to a stronger one. I know that should make the pressure higher when running up in the rpms but, will it help when ideling? or cruseing at 2500 to 3000? The bike has 6500 miles on it. thanks

Old 02-09-2007, 10:16 PM
SteveO
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Oil presure problem

Sounds like your HD dealer is blowing smoke trying to solve a mechanical problem with heavier oil.

Youre going in the wrong direction.Changing to a dino oil or higher oil pressure won't quiet down a mechanical issue.

Thats like going back to a rotary phone!

Oil is to lubricate moving parts not to quiet down mechanical parts. The new 100% synthetic oils are designed for high heat, and excellent lubrication with less ware on mechanical parts under extreme conditions, both hot and cold, -45 to 500 degrees! Dino oils have a specific temp range, and additional pressure may actually harm the engine.

I beleve I would get a secondopinion from some one that has a clue!

SteveO

Old 02-09-2007, 10:33 PM
dgriffith
Road Warrior

Thanks. SteveO. The bike is pretty quiet when the weather is cool and the oil pressure stays around 30 on the road. What happens is when it gets hot, the lifters peck like a car that has run out of oil. It also seems to have a lot less torque and runs hotter. I have repeatedly complained to 2 local dealers, and I cannot get anyone to acknowledge that I have a problem, They suggested I put louder pipes on to cover up the noise. Any suggestions as to What can I do to resolve the problem? I,ve asked on this forum many questions, trying to find out what to do, to fix it. Thanks Dan

Old 02-09-2007, 10:38 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,777 Likes on 1,572 Posts

Oil is used to lubricate AND quite moving parts there Steve-O. Read the back of any oil can. Thats a pretty known fact.
Why do you think used car salesmen put heavy oil in a high mileage used car, right before he sells it. Been done for years.

Good post and advice though....

lp

ORIGINAL: SteveO

Sounds like your HD dealer is blowing smoke trying to solve a mechanical problem with heavier oil.

Youre going in the wrong direction.Changing to a dino oil or higher oil pressure won't quiet down a mechanical issue.

Thats like going back to a rotary phone!

Oil is to lubricate moving parts not to quiet down mechanical parts. The new 100% synthetic oils are designed for high heat, and excellent lubrication with less ware on mechanical parts under extreme conditions, both hot and cold, -45 to 500 degrees! Dino oils have a specific temp range, and additional pressure may actually harm the engine.

I beleve I would get a secondopinion from some one that has a clue!

SteveO

Old 02-09-2007, 10:40 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I concur with SteveO statements.

What is your oil psi and oil temp at the following conditions:

1. When starting cold and at idle?

2. When hot at idle?

3. When driving down the Hi-way when cold or cool?

4. When driving down the Hi-way when engine is up to full operating temp?

Additionally, I would not advise doing what the dealer says in this instance, especially with out getting a "second" opinion!

Note that, I don't have an '07, but my '06 starts with oil psi cold at +/- 20 psi.

When driving down the highway its normally about+/-38 to40 psi when not fully up to normal operating temp, in other words engine isstill some what cold (or cool).

Further driving as engine heats up to normal operating temps, theoil psistays about+/- 25to32psi on the Hi-way.

At hot engine idle my oil psi will drop to right about 4 psi at idle.

I concider all this normal for my '06 FLHRI RK. Running marine gauges for temp (140* to320*gauge)an psi (0 psi to 80 psi gauge), high qualityLivorsi's that I've installed.My oil is RedLine in all three holes, with a H-D priemum oil cooler. My hot oil is not over 230*.

I would expect yours to run some what close, unless you are having some real problem.

Old 02-09-2007, 10:49 PM
dgriffith
Road Warrior

Mine is an 06 ultra. The numbers are about the same as yours till it gets hot.then the oil light will come on sometimes when ideling. On the road 95 degree day the oil press will reach about 25 #. Let the temps cool of and the pressure will go back up. any suggestions?? I,m desperate. thanks Dan

Old 02-09-2007, 10:56 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,777 Likes on 1,572 Posts

You are going to have lifter noise when the engine gets hot. Question I have is, have they actually checked the oil pressure with an external meter and have they looked at the oil pressure sensor? You may just have a bad sensor/sender unit.

If it's not the sensor then it could be a bad oil pump or any number of things. And thats kinda bad...
Like the others have stated. Oil is not the problem. No matter what oil you use, it should never do what you are talking about.
At least you have a two year warranty.... hope you get it figured out.

lp

Old 02-09-2007, 11:00 PM
04harleyboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What has been done to the engine, any upgrades done? If not, you may want to get a better A/C, freer flowing pipes, and a PCIII or SERT with the proper tune. the tune should help the heat issue a little. Just thought I would throw out m .02 worth. BTW, too much oil ressure can hurt things, it can over pressurize key gaskets, and cause a leak.

Old 02-09-2007, 11:02 PM
dgriffith
Road Warrior

Thanks for the info, when I get a chance to look at it I,ll put a real guage on it and see what it,s doing. and as you said a 2 year warrenty, after that I,ll trade it for a SEUC. Thanks again Dan.

Old 02-09-2007, 11:04 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What lp said.

Quick Reply: Oil presure problem