Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips for removing fuel pump assembly?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 01:46 PM
MichiganMikey
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips for removing fuel pump assembly? (2011 Street Glide)

I need to remove the fuel pump assembly to replace the check valve assembly/fuel line. I removed the cam ring on top of the tank and tried to pull the assembly out but everything seems to be packed pretty tight inside. I havnt really used any force to pull it out for fear of breaking parts in the process. I have looked in my service manual but it just says to remove the fuel pump assembly, but instructions are kinda vague. Anyone have any tips, tricks, secrets to getting this thing out safely? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by MichiganMikey; 03-25-2013 at 02:05 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:54 PM
Def Mute
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Year/Model?

Old 03-25-2013, 02:03 PM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Speaking for up to the 2007 era, the bracketry folds and unfolds to r&r. Look at the pic in the book carefully, where there is a spring is where it unfolds. you kind of have to hold the two sides and give it a pull/tug, it will than be pretty straight to get in and out. You need to be extremely careful not to twist or kink the HP hose. If you break off the tab for the fuel pump bracket, the book tells you to make sure the pump is bad, because you have to buy a new pump/bracket assembly.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:04 PM
MichiganMikey
Tourer

Originally Posted by Def Mute
Year/Model?
Oops, sorry. It is a 2011 Street Glide.

Old 03-25-2013, 03:34 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Just interested, how did you remove the cam ring?

Old 03-25-2013, 04:05 PM
dougbk
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

The fuel pump is hinged and you have to release it, see below:

Old 03-25-2013, 04:06 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by MichiganMikey
I need to remove the fuel pump assembly to replace the check valve assembly/fuel line. I removed the cam ring on top of the tank and tried to pull the assembly out but everything seems to be packed pretty tight inside. I havnt really used any force to pull it out for fear of breaking parts in the process. I have looked in my service manual but it just says to remove the fuel pump assembly, but instructions are kinda vague. Anyone have any tips, tricks, secrets to getting this thing out safely? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
You didn't say what manual you are using, so assume it's HD. There are two fuel lines that have to come of first. You have to pull up the top plate enough to reach in and release them. After that, if I remember correctly, you'll just have to maneuver it around to get it out with everything is attached to it, filter and prv.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:53 PM
toothmansteveb
Cruiser

Take it slow and easy, also it is worth buying a cam ring tool. Lots of folks start leaking fuel around the ring if not properly in place.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:01 PM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Dont' buy that ridiculous priced Harley cam ring tool. Snap on has one for $48. I just removed all the guts from my 2013 Road King tank while switching tanks for paint. Took the cam ring off with the snap on tool, piece of cake. Unplugged the wiring. Remove Fuel guage float first, then fuel pump assembly. I had to replace my check valve assembly since I tried to remove it like it was a fuel petcock on a carbed tank. Bad move. Twisted the tube off. Put the check valve assembly in first then you can plug all the hoses and wiring in just before buttoning it up.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:47 PM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunnysgt
Dont' buy that ridiculous priced Harley cam ring tool. Snap on has one for $48.
By any chance you have the Snap-On part number?

Quick Reply: Tips for removing fuel pump assembly?