Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is it worth it

Old 04-28-2013, 06:55 PM
riglide
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is it worth it

I have an 08 sg with pcv se 204 and jackpot mufflers i have a fuelmoto custom map. After 2 year it still runs great i never had it dyno tuned just wondering how many people had there bkes tuned and were using a fuelmoto map and was it worth it or not really worth spending the money.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:28 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

I have a pcv with fuelmoto map and auto tune. Ran ok for 6 months. Had it dynoed. Fuel was way lean in the mid and rich on the ends. Smoothed it out, only gained 6tq (109) and 4hp (99), but it runs MUCH nicer!

Old 04-28-2013, 08:17 PM
WestTexasRanger
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by riglide
I have an 08 sg with pcv se 204 and jackpot mufflers i have a fuelmoto custom map. After 2 year it still runs great i never had it dyno tuned just wondering how many people had there bkes tuned and were using a fuelmoto map and was it worth it or not really worth spending the money.
If your bike starts easy, runs well, gets descent fuel economy and doesn't ping, I'd say leave well enough alone. There are too many people trying to find the "perfect" tune for their motorcycle and it doesn't exist. Spending $400.00 or more on a proper dyno-tune will not guarantee that your bike will keep producing the same performance, day after day, in the real world.

Also, before strapping your bike to a dyno, most Tuners will have you sign a Hold Harmless Agreement in the event that your motor "blows" during the tuning process and don't think that it doesn't happen. NO THANK YOU!

Old 04-29-2013, 07:06 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

I'm a convert to dyno tuning, having had my bike done twice. The improvement in the way it runs and rides is well worth the expense IMHO, so ignore the nay-sayers! Dyno tuning is all about optimising performance throughout the rev range, not chasing the biggest numbers.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:40 AM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 157 Posts

i have a power vision and had it installed with a dyno tune. After the dyno tune the bike ran great but fuel economy suffered. I know the tuner very well and asked how he did the dyno. He performed the tune with wide band O2 sensors and then downloaded the map into the PV and ultimately my ECM. I contacted FM about the map, sent it tow them and had them take a look. The map was rich across the board so they sent me a modified map which then used the PV auto tune basic module on to fine tune.

My bike now has two different tunes available in the PV, one that uses the stock narrow band O2 sensors and yields a very smooth power band and vastly improved fuel economy and a full on power tune that gives unlimited power but scarifices fuel economy.

my point is you can have both or neither, make certain you know what you want and if you dyno, make certain you know what you are getting.

I am a huge fan of the dyno as it is the best method to get max power, however you may give up something as well.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:44 AM
oilhog
Tourer

I ran a map from Jamie for 5 years and never did anything but twist the trottle! Bike ran great and I spent the money on gas for the bike not the dyno.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:33 PM
riglide
Intermediate

thanks for all the input after having a carbureted hotrod seems like the bike could be a little more responsive to me just dont want to spend money chasing after something i may not get.