Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

finding neutral

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 08:46 PM
craving94509
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I switched to red line heavy shockproof and that solved my issue.

Old 05-18-2013, 09:32 PM
LeFat1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pastime
Yes, it takes some practice. Mine can still be a bit tricky but I can eventually find it.

For LeFat1 - I need to find neutral when I get to my work. I have to swipe my ID card across a card reader, which is on my left, to get the gate to open. Kinda hard to do (impossible) holding the clutch in. So the OP may have a very valid reason for needing to go to neutral. Just sayin.......
It's an old biker joke and how choppers got their name, don't need brakes, chop em off...we just wanna go

Old 05-18-2013, 09:36 PM
gize
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Buzzard42
Very common until 1st service at 5k. I switched to Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50 Synthetic at 5k (everyone uses what pleases them) and problem went away. Hope the same for you.
Thanks, I have this same oil on standby for my next change. But this ballet dance is a tad annoying. So much more I could bitch about in life but it really would be nice to just shift to neutral in one or two tries..

Old 05-18-2013, 10:06 PM
Greg Anderson
Advanced

Originally Posted by gize
Sounds like a silly topic but seriously. I have owned multiple non Harley motorcycles, never had such a hard time finding neutral. Its not a huge issue but sometimes I tap and up click 6 plus times to get my 2012 street glide to find neutral. What is the deal? I feel like I need the finesse of a ballet dancer to get it to go in. I was told this is normal for a new Harley but I'm now going on 3200 miles and it still takes a magic trick to find neutral. Any comments are welcome. Even you smart asses lol.
I found redline in the trans helps, also not overfilled. Mine had too much in it right from the factory. I measured it when it came out. Primary was over filled to. That makes a difference.

Next I've found it is easiest to use the heel shifter to lightly "tap" down it into neutral.

Old 05-18-2013, 10:14 PM
Clubber
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If you're stopped just push it or pull it an inch or so.

Old 05-18-2013, 10:42 PM
Recycled
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Getting them into neutral the first attempt is always easier after the motor is shutdown. This is what I have gotten into the habit of doing or if I am not shutting the motor down, try to get it into neutral while still rolling. Doesn't always go as planned.

After reading the initial post, the engineering side of my brain went automatically into problem solving mode. I have a simple design in mind, for a thumb latch that would hold the clutch lever in the closed position, eliminating the need to shift into neutral in order to free up your left hand. It could be done but safety issues such as creeping or accidental release would be a concern.

Old 05-18-2013, 11:03 PM
MontanaRider
Advanced

If you use a heel shifter it makes it a lot easier. Drop all the way to first the lightly press down on the heel until it slips out of gear.

Old 05-18-2013, 11:12 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

The trick for mine is go into first, if a light tap up doesn't find neutral I roll the bike a little bit and lightly tap it down.

Old 05-18-2013, 11:30 PM
JafaDog
Novice

Used to take me forever to get it to go into neutral. I'd have to fish around with it forever, always seeming to go just a little too far one way or the other. That changed at around 4K miles for some reason. Now I have no problem. It just goes into neutral without having to dance. Not sure if it's the bike or if I just got the hang of it. It does help to roll it a bit, though, as some posters have said. And the heel trick also works more often than not.

Old 05-18-2013, 11:32 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,930 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Combination of redline shockproof in the tranny and the clutch adjusted right should make neutral easy to find, even on a new bike.

Only time I ever have had problem getting neutral is when the engine is not running and there is tension on the gears from being on an incline...in that case pull in the clutch and rock it a bit.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Quick Reply: finding neutral