Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

finding neutral

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 11:35 PM
Harley Hound57
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amsoil 75/140 did the trick for me.

Last edited by Harley Hound57; 05-18-2013 at 11:38 PM.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:12 AM
SanJuanRon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

Couple tips:

1. As you are coming to a stop, get into first gear before you come to a complete stop. If you are in first before you come to a complete stop, getting to neutral is easy.

2. If you are still having problems getting to neutral, roll the bike forward and back a few inches and that will make getting into neutral easier.

Also, the Redline Heavy Shockproof does help finding neutral.

SJ Ron

Old 05-19-2013, 12:32 AM
Kadorja
Road Captain
Received 149 Likes on 61 Posts

Some bikes are just plain hard to find neutral in. My old roommates sport bike would not go into neutral at all if it was warmed up. Pain in the a**. My Crossbones was ok to get into neutral but I learned pretty quick once I installed the jockey shifter. My newest bike goes into neutral pretty easily. If the bike is off she needs a little rocking to get into neutral but once she's running I just give it a little tap on the heel shifter.

Personally I wouldn't go into neutral while rolling up to a light. I always keep it in gear and check my mirrors before popping it into neutral. I usually keep it in gear to get away from some texting idiot who doesn't see my flashing brake lights and I put it in neutral when I need to fish out my ID or relax my hand for a decently long stop light.

Old 05-19-2013, 05:23 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,364 Likes on 2,619 Posts

Originally Posted by LeFat1
Good point, why do u need to be in neutral anyway? I'll bet the OP needs brakes too.
For some reason I anticipate needing both hands at a light - need to fiddle with something, or I anticipate a long light, or if I'm coming around to park it in my garage and I need both hands to get out the garage door opener, etc.

Old 05-19-2013, 05:32 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Just hold the Clutch in and roll the bike forward. After a while it becomes a habit, and you don't even think about it. All part of the secret brotherhood.

Old 05-19-2013, 06:38 AM
my67pnycar
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine has 8000 miles on it so far and its still hard to find sometimes. It will be easier with time.

Old 05-19-2013, 06:55 AM
Big Trev
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kdfcogwheel
Hmmm...I will have to try that. I have over 40K and I recently changed the primary chain tensioner to the Hayden M6. Before, I had no trouble finding neutral, now it is almost impossible. I have adjusted the clutch several times, to no avail. Most times I get frustrated and just shut it down and deal with it then. I can find it fairly easily once the engine is shut down.
Adjust the clutch, exactly as in the workshop manual

Old 05-19-2013, 06:58 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member

Received 324 Likes on 222 Posts

Put about 6=8 ozs Lucas oil stabilizer in the tranny and the problem is fixed. I did this and just tap the shifter either rolling or stopped and it is in neutral.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:00 AM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

My Heritage took until about 5k till neutral was easy to find. Not had any problems on the SG.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:17 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Combination of redline shockproof in the tranny and the clutch adjusted right should make neutral easy to find, even on a new bike.
May not be the primary culprit , but a properly adjusted clutch is your starting point. There's alot of "meshing" going on in the tranny and it only takes "fractions" of mis-alignment to impact gear synch. Changing fluids and heel-shifter use are other things to try and...pay attention to your riding shoes. Seems funny, but I can hit neutral every try with my Power Trip rounded-toe boots, but have some problems with my harness boots. One day I noticed the harness boot's squared-end toe makes the length & angle a tad more and the leverage I applied to the shifter was enough to alter my foot's motion when shifting. After changing back to the round-toe...shifting was better.

Maybe it's all in my mind, but I see a difference in shifting with my boot design(s)...food for thought.

Quick Reply: finding neutral