Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise Set Switch Blowing Fuse

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 10:47 PM
MichiganDave
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Cruise Set Switch Blowing Fuse

I did a post about this a few weeks ago and didn't get a lot of responses so I figured that I would seek out your help again. When setting my cruise a few weeks ago I turned on the flip switch at the switch housing. The red light turned on as did the cruise light on the gauge. When I went to hit the set switch near the throttle the bike died all together. Turns out the ignition fuse blew out. When I got the bike home I replaced the 15 amp fuse and went through the process again and the same thing happened. Tonight while I was out on a ride I hit the set switch again by accident near the throttle and the fuse blew again. This time the cruise flip switch at the switch housing was off. Everything else on the bike is working. Headlight high and low beams brake running lights etc... the only thing it is taking out is the run/start switches. The bike is all stock. The only thing that I did recently was jump starting the battery this summer. The battery died over the winter(I started it often during the winter months) but was dead in early spring. I used the cruise last summer and never had the issue till now. I'm curious if the cruise wire runs through the ecm on top of the battery which has to be swung out of the way in order to get to the battery on my bike and maybe I pinched a wire somewhere near there. I'm not really sure where to start here so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The bike is a 2008 Ultra Classic Electra Glide.

The following users liked this post:
Soberider68 (04-10-2020)
Old 07-03-2013, 10:50 PM
Juan L
Received 20,117 Likes on 10,260 Posts

You have a short at the switch housing or further down the line. Disassemble the housing and investigate the short. Look closely where wires go through the bars or near metal edges.

The following users liked this post:
baldguy534 (08-06-2023)
Old 04-10-2020, 05:54 PM
Soberider68
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruise control set switch blowing ignition fuse .

[hi Dave.I'm having the same exact problem and wondering if you've come up with a solution.
thanks,
Chad
QUOTE=MichiganDave;11485923]I did a post about this a few weeks ago and didn't get a lot of responses so I figured that I would seek out your help again. When setting my cruise a few weeks ago I turned on the flip switch at the switch housing. The red light turned on as did the cruise light on the gauge. When I went to hit the set switch near the throttle the bike died all together. Turns out the ignition fuse blew out. When I got the bike home I replaced the 15 amp fuse and went through the process again and the same thing happened. Tonight while I was out on a ride I hit the set switch again by accident near the throttle and the fuse blew again. This time the cruise flip switch at the switch housing was off. Everything else on the bike is working. Headlight high and low beams brake running lights etc... the only thing it is taking out is the run/start switches. The bike is all stock. The only thing that I did recently was jump starting the battery this summer. The battery died over the winter(I started it often during the winter months) but was dead in early spring. I used the cruise last summer and never had the issue till now. I'm curious if the cruise wire runs through the ecm on top of the battery which has to be swung out of the way in order to get to the battery on my bike and maybe I pinched a wire somewhere near there. I'm not really sure where to start here so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The bike is a 2008 Ultra Classic Electra Glide.[/QUOTE]
same

Old 04-10-2020, 07:09 PM
RCCola45
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

You have short in that wire on left side cruise switch sounds like … 2 other things about your statement … what did you jump start the battery with, if it was car or truck I would make sure it was not running … could very well gave your bike a spike of voltage causing that short and number two … don't start your bike to keep charge on battery in winter time … all that will do it kill it. Put it on a small trickle charger would be the best thing.

Old 04-10-2020, 08:10 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,866 Likes on 4,113 Posts

This thread is 7 years old. The OP, MichiganDave, hasn't been on the forum since 2018.