Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Adjustment...what did i do different?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 05:59 PM
MarcV125
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Clutch Adjustment...what did i do different?

So its not my first time adjusting the clutch on my 2010 Street Glide, but for some reason this time, after i got everything adjusted the clutch is feeling alot different than normal. The first initial start of the pull is very easy then after about a couple inches of travel with the clutch handle it gets extremely hard? Ive adjusted the clutch before with no problems. The only difference this time is that i adjusted the clutch pack with the primary cover off and all the fluid drained obviously. I adjusted it when everything was room temperature.
I thought maybe it was because there wasn't any fluid in the primary, so i got everything put back together and started the bike, went to put the bike into gear and felt like it did but when i released the clutch lever the tire wasn't spinning. like the clutch is disengaged?. I tried then adjusting the clutch again after it cooled down , but same thing ...
What the hell did i do lol?
Thanks for the help
Marc

Old 07-04-2013, 06:05 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,597 Likes on 3,081 Posts

If you pulled on the clutch lever when the adjusting nut down on the clutch pack was loose, you could have flipped the 3 ball ramp under the clutch actuation cover. That's the cover on the right hand side where your cable goes. You probably have to reset that first. It's a PITA but you did no harm to anything.

Old 07-04-2013, 06:12 PM
FLTRU4ME
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you ran the adjustment down to the bottom and then backed off a half turn you did it wrong. Back off the adjustment till you feel it go loose and just run it down to you feel the resistance and back off a half turn and set the nut.

Old 07-04-2013, 06:23 PM
MarcV125
Tourer

Originally Posted by Stiggy
If you pulled on the clutch lever when the adjusting nut down on the clutch pack was loose, you could have flipped the 3 ball ramp under the clutch actuation cover. That's the cover on the right hand side where your cable goes. You probably have to reset that first. It's a PITA but you did no harm to anything.
I didnt, thats whats strange..like i said ive done i before with no problems, buttt stranger things have happened so what do i have to do if it ends up being this?
and if it matters when i squeeze the clutch lever it still moves the clutch pack.

Originally Posted by FLTRU4ME
If you ran the adjustment down to the bottom and then backed off a half turn you did it wrong. Back off the adjustment till you feel it go loose and just run it down to you feel the resistance and back off a half turn and set the nut.
The service manual just states to loosen the clutch cable first, then the clutch hub nut, and then run it down to flight resistance and then back off a 1/2 to full turn,...but i guess i can try that first .. cant hurt

thanks for the suggestions guys

Last edited by MarcV125; 07-04-2013 at 06:36 PM.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:16 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member

Pull the exhaust out of the way and remover the clutch actuation cover. There are two grooved plates (the ramp,) that carry 3 ball bearings. At their "low" spot the clutch lever is out like when you're cruising. The handle that attaches to the clutch cable is pointing straight up at the sky under the cover at that point. So put it back there.

Pull the cable taught from the bottom, ( so your handle on the ramp plate attached to the cable is pointing up at 12:00,) put your 3 ***** back in their grooves and put the unit back in the cover and reinstall. Don't touch it (the clutch lever,) until you've adjusted and locked down the clutch adjuster on the primary side. You're done.

Last edited by Stiggy; 07-04-2013 at 07:19 PM.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:29 PM
MarcV125
Tourer

Pull the exhaust out of the way and remover the clutch actuation cover. There are two grooved plates (the ramp,) that carry 3 ball bearings. At their "low" spot the clutch lever is out like when you're cruising. The handle that attaches to the clutch cable is pointing straight up at the sky under the cover at that point. So put it back there.

Pull the cable taught from the bottom, ( so your handle on the ramp plate attached to the cable is pointing up at 12:00,) put your 3 ***** back in their grooves and put the unit back in the cover and reinstall. Don't touch it (the clutch lever,) until you've adjusted and locked down the clutch adjuster on the primary side. You're done.
Alright Stiggy thx..So i already adjusted the clutch pack and cable... I should do this with everything adjusted correct?

Old 07-04-2013, 07:36 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member

Your adjustments are out of whack now ( or will be,) so loosen up the clutch adjuster nut and cable adjuster too. ( You'll need the extra cable length.)

Old 07-04-2013, 07:52 PM
MarcV125
Tourer

Your adjustments are out of whack now ( or will be,) so loosen up the clutch adjuster nut and cable adjuster too. ( You'll need the extra cable length.)
alright stiggy thx again..this has to be it.. appreciate the help

Old 07-05-2013, 09:06 PM
MarcV125
Tourer

alright stiggy, welp got the cover off and checked the ***** and ramp, everything was where it should be ?.. ***** were in their slots, and the cable and handle were positioned correct. just to check i pushed the cable down towards where the cable enters the cover and the clutch lever went in so everything seemed to be positioned correctly? i never thought i could get so confused and frustrated over a clutch adjustment ... does it seem right?

I can also spin the clutch pack by hand if that matter. i seems to remember last time i adjusted the clutch the clutch pack would not spin as i tightened the clutch pack lock nut,? but not 100 percent sure

Last edited by MarcV125; 07-05-2013 at 09:17 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:27 PM
smithbrl
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Did you possibly take too much slack in the clutch cable adjustment? You should be able to pull the ferrule end away from the clutch perch 1/8" or something like that.

Quick Reply: Clutch Adjustment...what did i do different?