Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering a 2014 SGS

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 04:59 PM
1QUIKC5
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 14 FLHX
Im thinking about this for the rear.

http://www.lachoppers.com/catalog/di...313/index.html
I am currently using this kit. The only issues I have had is the shock will rub your bags from being spaced out! I placed some felt on my bag in the area it was contacting. I ride 2 up most of the time with now rubbing or bottoming out.

Old 11-08-2013, 05:03 PM
12Iron883
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 14 FLHX
Im thinking about this for the rear.

http://www.lachoppers.com/catalog/di...313/index.html
I think that may just be it!!! Now I just have to make sure they will work on the special.

Old 11-08-2013, 05:03 PM
fat daddy
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I got a set of shocks that were reworked by bitchin baggers and they will take you down to 11.25 in. I had the lowering blocks they seemed to work ok, but I had the oil changed to a heavier weight and the ride is much better,they have a stop in them so you can't bottom out. These are in the classified if your interested.

Old 11-08-2013, 05:05 PM
12Iron883
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by themouth!!!
They make good stuff. Look in to the Road 6 too...They have three positions so you can dial it in. I run it and love it...

I sent them an e-mail last week and they got back to me saying they don't have anything for the 14 yet as far as lowering links but they are working on it.

Old 11-08-2013, 06:38 PM
trooper50
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hogowner69
Lowering Kit for the front is part # 45500157

page 375 of the 2014 parts book... it is a few bucks $349.95

I am picking up my bike in a few hours...had the lowering kit installed while I had the chrome front end put on....
Thank you posting this. I just looked these up and probably going to install them.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:20 PM
hogowner69
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by trooper50
Thank you posting this. I just looked these up and probably going to install them.
I changed my front lowers to the chrome ones.....they charged me 3.5 hrs worth of labor....and while it was disassembled they installed the lowering kit...didn't charge me for that...since it was apart already....and I got 15% off of labor and parts

Old 11-08-2013, 09:21 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by themouth!!!
Not sure if they will work on the 14s (not sure why they wouldn't) but the lowering blocks can be used IF you don't good to low. I use the 12" shocks with the Road 6 blocks and I don't rub, even two up...The ride is the same because you aren't shortening travel. Someone will come along soon and expound on all their evils but, most are just rehashing what they READ on the forums. If anyone has a horror story about them, make sure they actually saw it happen...Way too many internet experts around here...
They WILL NOT work with the permium hand adjustable shocks.

But they will work on a '14 SGS... IF you get a set of air shocks for it.

I picked up a set of new take offs from a '13 and put them on with Burley 1" Blocks, dropped the *** an inch, along with lowering the forks and a Danny Grey Speed Cradle my 5'2" wife rides the Street Glide Special.

The upside?

I have a pair of Premium Hand Adjustable shocks on my '14 Limited.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:23 PM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

The lowering blocks for the rear shocks are bad news all around. You risk the tire hitting the fender, shocks hitting the bags or worse, the shocks coming off if one of those blocks breaks. It also changes handling characteristics. Would be better, and safer, to change the shocks to another brand that can be set up for however low you want them. Ride quality may change, but that's what happens when you want to go low.

Coming from someone who has lowered his bike all around (1.5" rear, 1" front) the front makes as much difference as the rear. You can drop the rear all the way to the ground but the front is what really helps the bike get lower. And lowering the front improves handling when the rear has already been lowered.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:24 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by 12Iron883
I sent them an e-mail last week and they got back to me saying they don't have anything for the 14 yet as far as lowering links but they are working on it.
Nothing changed on the rear of the frame.

But coil over shocks won't work.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:26 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Guntoter
You risk the tire hitting the fender, shocks hitting the bags or worse, the shocks coming off if one of those blocks breaks. .
I concur that hitting the wiring under the fender is bad. 1" drop shouldn't allow this to happen.

Aside from that, have YOU ever SEEN any of the aforementioned occurrences? Or simply read about them on the internet somewhere?

Quick Reply: Lowering a 2014 SGS