Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Symptom Of Failing Compensator?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 11:23 AM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 344 Likes on 197 Posts
Default Symptom Of Failing Compensator?

I'm beginning to wonder if the compensator could be the causing the substantial "clunk" when shifting? (09 FLHT with 25K) The noise seems like it's gradually becoming louder. "Clunk" and "bang" will be the technical terms here . I know it's a totally different transmission but my 04 doesn't do this at all. After first starting the bike cold when it goes into first gear it has always had the loud bang and I realize it's from the clutch discs dragging. The clutch is adjusted correctly and once warmed up it doesn't do that any longer. The "clunk" when shifting isn't quite as loud as the bang, yet.
If I do replace it is the new compensator kit with the oil trough that HD has the way to go? I remember seeing a post here where someone was developing a replacement compensator using urethane to absorb vibration instead of spring and ramp but I've not seen any more of it. Also should anything else be done while in there replacing the compensator? Maybe the primary bearing.

Old 01-23-2014, 05:46 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

I notice a louder clunk if I use a different primary oil, what are you using? Oh hell did I just start an oil thread?
What shape is the compensator in, have you been in there to look it over lately?

Old 01-24-2014, 09:09 AM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member

I've always just used Formula+. No I haven't looked at it. Having never done this I should ask can it be inspected by just removing the outer primary case or does the compensator need to be removed?

Old 01-24-2014, 09:33 AM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 724 Likes on 483 Posts

my neighbors bike had a comp problem.. Every couple of times he tried to start it.. it make a loud *** grinding sound.. Like gears were breaking teeth.. then it would start up fine lol.. the dealer could nvr diagnose the issue untill I specifically told th em to check the Comp.. he got it replaced with the screamin eagle model and all is well

Old 01-24-2014, 10:07 AM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

If you remove the primary cover the Comp is right there and you should be able to see if there is any wrong.

This is what your looking for and should have no issues seeing it.

Attached Thumbnails Symptom Of Failing Compensator?-11.jpg  
Old 01-24-2014, 11:09 AM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 629 Likes on 455 Posts

The more standard symptoms of a failing comp include a loud bang when the starter engages and a rattling roughness at lower rpms while driving. If your 09 has the factory comp, you got one of the good ones to last this long. People do report smoother quieter shifting with a new comp but I don't fully understand why unless the spring in the old comp was just plain shot. My 08 had the starter bang from the beginning and then developed the rattling "box of rocks" noise in the primary along with excessive rattling and vibration at what should have been acceptable engine rpm. The new comp fixed all of those symptoms.

The grinding during start is almost always the starter clutch and a weak comp beats them to death. The stories I see about a new comp fixing the starter grind are a surprise and I believe it won't be too long before the grinding returns, replacing the starter drive can be done without duplicating anything involved in the comp change, so separating the jobs is your choice. The picture of the comp with all the fretting looks like the original SE design, which has been superseded by one with features intended to stop the tendency to fret. The latest comp no longer comes in a kit with a new rotor so if you go with a new comp, the rotor will need to be purchased separately. Also, there is something going on with the glue for the little plastic piece that funnels the oil into the hub area. Rumor is that Harley is no longer selling the glue. A chat with the parts guy might clear that up.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:12 AM
PKS98S
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TUCCI
I notice a louder clunk if I use a different primary oil, what are you using? Oh hell did I just start an oil thread?
What shape is the compensator in, have you been in there to look it over lately?

Old 01-24-2014, 11:30 AM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

I have a question on the subject. I changed my primary oil the other day and there was lots of metal on teh drain plug. This is the 10K mile service. Last time the primary was changed was at the 1000 mile service before I owned the bike.

Is it likely the shavings are from the compensator? 2013 FLTRX. I am not sure whether the amount of metal on the plug is considered "normal" for a newer bike or not but I am sure with the amount of miles I put on the bike I will probably need to do the compensator sooner rather than later. I forgot to snap a pic of the drain plug.

The funny thing is on my softail and Dyna I never had compensator issues.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:50 AM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member

Just what I need to know, thank you all!

Originally Posted by hd_rolling
If you remove the primary cover the Comp is right there and you should be able to see if there is any wrong.

This is what your looking for and should have no issues seeing it.
...and thanks for the pic showing it hd_rolling!

Old 01-24-2014, 02:25 PM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Hogpro
I have a question on the subject. I changed my primary oil the other day and there was lots of metal on teh drain plug. This is the 10K mile service. Last time the primary was changed was at the 1000 mile service before I owned the bike.

Is it likely the shavings are from the compensator? 2013 FLTRX. I am not sure whether the amount of metal on the plug is considered "normal" for a newer bike or not but I am sure with the amount of miles I put on the bike I will probably need to do the compensator sooner rather than later. I forgot to snap a pic of the drain plug.

The funny thing is on my softail and Dyna I never had compensator issues.
I don't think shavings ever come from the comp, just the clutch pack. I've always got a bit on my drain plug, pretty normal.

Quick Reply: Symptom Of Failing Compensator?