Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

neck bearings on 14's ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 12:26 AM
desertwolf
Road Master
Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts
Default neck bearings on 14's ?

I have heard that the neck bearings on the 14 touring models need replaced every 25, 000 miles. Is this true? If so, why do they require replacement so often? Are they poor quality? Is there a replacement bearing that eliminates the 25k replacement requirement?

Old 02-02-2014, 03:17 AM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm not buying they need replaced. Adjusted? Well, OK, but not replaced. Maybe someone has a 14 SM and could look it up?

Old 02-02-2014, 05:25 AM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 101 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by desertwolf
I have heard that the neck bearings on the 14 touring models need replaced every 25, 000 miles. Is this true? If so, why do they require replacement so often? Are they poor quality? Is there a replacement bearing that eliminates the 25k replacement requirement?
They do not need replaced unless they are bad. 25 K is the service interval where they need to be cleaned inspected and lubricated and re adjusted.The front end has to be disassembled for this procedure.Since the frame was redesigned Harley omitted the grease fitting in the neck,that is why it has be done this way.LOL don't believe every thing people tell you about these bikes.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:43 AM
Jerry1834
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

That is BS no grease fitting on the neck bearing…..just another way to squeeze another couple of $100+ on service…..just more flee zing of the flock….not bad for the guy who only puts a few 1000 a year on a bike….my 2cents

Old 02-02-2014, 06:45 AM
IUOE ROB
Stellar HDF Member

Received 247 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by geezer glide 56
They do not need replaced unless they are bad. 25 K is the service interval where they need to be cleaned inspected and lubricated and re adjusted.The front end has to be disassembled for this procedure.Since the frame was redesigned Harley omitted the grease fitting in the neck,that is why it has be done this way.LOL don't believe every thing people tell you about these bikes.
I'd think most (I probably would) would just replace them at 25K then, either the cost (if you're having it done) or the labor (if you're doing it yourself) is in disassembling everything and being as you're in there anyway why not just go for new ones and put them in? Just a thought...

Old 02-02-2014, 06:52 AM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 600 Likes on 351 Posts

my 85 flhtc has the original bearings in it and the only time they were greased was when the bike was built. ride it and don't worry about it. if they need to be replaced then replace them but taking the whole front end off to smear some grease on them doesn't make any sense. take it apart when it needs to be fixed.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:56 AM
sporacer
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by IUOE ROB
I'd think most (I probably would) would just replace them at 25K then, either the cost (if you're having it done) or the labor (if you're doing it yourself) is in disassembling everything and being as you're in there anyway why not just go for new ones and put them in? Just a thought...
I love these statements...These bikes are designed to go 100000 plus miles. Its like putting a new transmission in your vehicle because it requires maintenance.

Old 02-02-2014, 07:21 AM
VTL nut
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sporacer
I love these statements...These bikes are designed to go 100000 plus miles. Its like putting a new transmission in your vehicle because it requires maintenance.
Not true, your talking a $25 bearing versus a $1700 transmission. Keep it apples to apples and you may have a leg to stand on.
The poster makes a good point in that if you spend $200 in time, or labor cost, just bite the bullet and replace. If you think about it it does make sense. Not saying thats the route I am taking, but to me it does make sense.

Old 02-02-2014, 07:29 AM
sporacer
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by VTL nut
Not true, your talking a $25 bearing versus a $1700 transmission. Keep it apples to apples and you may have a leg to stand on.
The poster makes a good point in that if you spend $200 in time, or labor cost, just bite the bullet and replace. If you think about it it does make sense. Not saying thats the route I am taking, but to me it does make sense.

Its a Harley do you really think neck bearings are only $25.

Old 02-02-2014, 08:29 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts

first thing i would do would be to install a grease fitting in the neck. done this on shovels and evo's for years, no big deal to do.

Quick Reply: neck bearings on 14's ?