Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hidden Antenna

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 03:36 PM
PDDGM
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hidden Antenna

Ok, looking at maybe going to a hidden antenna. Did a search for any info on them, and found that most don't thing they are worth the money, etc. Any different opinions or has anyone had good luck with them. I am using a short rubber antenna from Autozone, but don't like it. It won't stay tight and I am always checking it to make sure its tight. My CB antenna was snapped off, and the threads were damaged. So that one is just capped with a plastic cap screwed on. Reception with the shorty ain't all that great, and don't want to go back to the whip...

Old 03-16-2014, 03:49 PM
03snake
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did the hidden HD antenna before I picked up the bike. To me it's a cleaner look and apparently it actually improves reception distance. There is a chart on page 612 of the 2014 P&A catalogue that compares reception between OEM, shorty and hidden antenna. The hidden is the clear winner for FM and has the best long range performance for AM.

http://accessories.harley-davidson.c...ue-2014-en.pdf

Last edited by 03snake; 03-16-2014 at 04:02 PM.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:55 PM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

I've been using this one over a year with no issues whatsoever. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hidden-Anten...53fee2&vxp=mtr

Old 03-16-2014, 03:59 PM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by just plain john
I've been using this one over a year with no issues whatsoever. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hidden-Anten...53fee2&vxp=mtr
That's the one I have too. I didn't expect much but boy was I surprised. Works better than the stock dipole.

Old 03-16-2014, 04:07 PM
Wander
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

My buddy hid the stock antenna behind the saddlebag and under the seat for me. He had done his already and it only took him 2 minutes to do mine. $2 plug for the hole in the fender and $.25 in zip ties to keep it tight to the frame rails.

Radio reception didn't change 1 iota and the back end looks clean.

I think there is a YouTube link to it in the sticky "mods" thread

Old 03-16-2014, 04:09 PM
dSINtia
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wander
My buddy hid the stock antenna behind the saddlebag and under the seat for me. He had done his already and it only took him 2 minutes to do mine. $2 plug for the hole in the fender and $.25 in zip ties to keep it tight to the frame rails.

Radio reception didn't change 1 iota and the back end looks clean.

I think there is a YouTube link to it in the sticky "mods" thread
This exactly. Save your money and do this. None of the hidden antennas work we'll in my area but this trick worked well.

Old 03-16-2014, 04:15 PM
Stang951
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by just plain john
It will all depend on your area and the radio stations around you. I have used the above antenna for 4 years. I love it. I get just as good reception in my area as I did with the whip. I dont poke my eye out anymore and I plugged up the holes on the fascia.

In addition I also installed the J&M Audio in-fairing CB antenna. I am pleased with it, however you cannot transmit as far forward as I used to. rearward is no problem. Not sure what interferes with the transmission, but something does.

Old 03-16-2014, 04:32 PM
Pitbull2411
Road Captain
Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Stang951
It will all depend on your area and the radio stations around you. I have used the above antenna for 4 years. I love it. I get just as good reception in my area as I did with the whip. I dont poke my eye out anymore and I plugged up the holes on the fascia.

In addition I also installed the J&M Audio in-fairing CB antenna. I am pleased with it, however you cannot transmit as far forward as I used to. rearward is no problem. Not sure what interferes with the transmission, but something does.
For $20 I might try this one as well. I threw the HD one in the garbage.

Old 03-16-2014, 04:37 PM
Northwoodz
Road Warrior
Received 464 Likes on 130 Posts

$20 Ebay one here. 6 years and going strong, no matter where I travel.

Old 03-16-2014, 05:07 PM
BillinSC
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a 2012 Limited and one of the first things I did was a detach kit and hidden antenna. I'm generally inclined to pay a little more for the HD stuff just in case I have issues with it but anyway, I installed the boom hidden antenna. It's the one that plugs in easily to the same power leads that go to the cigarette lighter and the module with the red light on it mounts on the front fork facia below the head light and the antenna wires run up both sides of the inner fairing. Once the front of the fairing is put on all is hidden (obviously).

I still have this antenna installed and it works well. Strong stations come in loud and clear, weak ones can be a little noisy.

There are a couple things I didn't really like too much about this antenna...

First, I didn't realize this until the next time I took the front fairing off but with this module mounted where it is it doesn't let you take the fairing off without also having to take the spot light bar off as well.

Second, since this is an amplified antenna I think it also amplifies noise and electrical interference. On weaker channels you can hear more of this than on others. It really bothered me at first but not anymore.

To resolve the first issue I plan on getting the newer version of the HD hidden antenna which is made to mount higher up and on the inside of the outer fairing.

To be honest I listen more to my iPod than the radio. The hidden antenna is nice for looks and functionally ok. Every other option is a compromise to the OEM whip antenna. It's not perfect but it works for me.

Hope that helps

Quick Reply: Hidden Antenna