Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TRUHIDS HID install question, 13 SG

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 06:14 PM
03snake
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default TRUHIDS HID install question, 13 SG

For starters, I'm great with tools but electrically challenged. TRUHID's kit is on it's way. I never ride at night. I only want more daytime visibility. I have CD 'Dynamic Ringz' with the white DRL's and amber turns.
Some have said they ran the power wire or maybe the ground wire through the Accessory switch (unused right now). If anyone has done this I would appreciate knowing exactly which wire to run through the switch. As your aware the purpose is to avoid the large start-up load of the HID's and then switch them on once the bike is running. Really appreciate any input.
P.S. If I was running at night I would probably use LED's but the TRUHID's kit is inbound. Thanks!

http://www.socalmotogear.com/Harley-...Kit-p/h1hk.htm

Old 04-10-2014, 10:44 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 396 Likes on 338 Posts

I guess you'll get a better idea once your kit arrives and you can go over the install instructions.

I'd be interested in what the current draw is rated to be ( either in watts or amps) or what value fuse is installed in their wiring ( if any).

that would help determine if the HID should be run off the acc switch

mike

Old 04-11-2014, 12:51 AM
03snake
Tourer

Hi Mike,
Thanks for the input. They say the HID's run at 35 watts (Instead of 55) but that all HID's have a 'start-up surge' same time your starting the bike. I read some threads where guy's were running the power (or ground) through the ACC switch so they could turn on the headlight after start. To me, this seems to be the best HID kit out there. I realize the reflector is not designed for HID but they put a large semi-circle block on the bottom of the bulb to allow the light to reflect only off the top of the reflector so the like is as least partially focused lower. There are some here who have installed these and run 'a' wire through the ACC switch, I'm just curious which one. Time will tell. Thanks!

Last edited by 03snake; 04-11-2014 at 12:53 AM.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:58 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 396 Likes on 338 Posts

it would have to be the hot.

the HIDS in particular need a VERY secure ground, it seems from some users posts.

35 watts is only 3 amps- but yes, is there a surge on start up, that's teh question...what is the max power draw.

mike

Old 04-11-2014, 01:05 AM
rbferg
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let us know how it turns out. I almost went this route, but plug & play HID's are not DOT approved without the proper reflector so I went with the H-D Reflector LED instead and overall I'm pleased with it.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:43 AM
03snake
Tourer

Thanks for input. I'd like to hear from someone who has run the power wire through the accessory switch. I don't want to screw it up. I'll probably call SoCal after the kit arrives for their input as well.

Old 04-11-2014, 11:41 AM
journeyman
Road Master
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Like you I was worried about the power spike at start up, more so about using the factory wire harness for it.
The way I did it was to run a new power wire back to the fuse box, and added a fuse for it in one of the empty slots. Not hard. This is for the main power to the headlight that goes from the fuse box to the power contact on a relay. The headlight kit comes with the relay for switching it on and off. You can connect the factorty 3 prong plug to the relay solenoid which is part of the kit, and you are good to go, that way it will also control your high and low as normal. Another alterantive is to power the relay coil from the Acc switch, but not needed.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:15 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

I ran HIDs on my Fat Boy. It did not have a spare cowl switch, so I added one. I did it so the the switch cut the ground, and I turned them on only after the bike was running. Never had a problem and sold the bike with that setup still working. Now, two things. First, I did not do this because of power draw as I don't believe the 35 watt system draws crap, even on fire up. I did it because I didn't know how the ballast would react to the starter stealing all the voltage. And once burning, I was worried a drop or flux in power might damage the system. That's the reason I added the switch. Second, if your adding HIDs for added daytime visability, you might be hurting yourself. Clearly HIDs throw more light, but at least in my case, because they are much closer to natural light than standard bulbs, you almost can't see them in the daytime. Many a fellow rider turned around and motioned for me to turn my light on even though they already were on. Just wanted to mention that as added visibility seems to be the driving force behind what you are wanting.

Last edited by bikerlaw; 04-11-2014 at 05:21 PM.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:41 PM
Cliff-AZ
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 03snake
For starters, I'm great with tools but electrically challenged. TRUHID's kit is on it's way. I never ride at night. I only want more daytime visibility. I have CD 'Dynamic Ringz' with the white DRL's and amber turns.
Some have said they ran the power wire or maybe the ground wire through the Accessory switch (unused right now). If anyone has done this I would appreciate knowing exactly which wire to run through the switch. As your aware the purpose is to avoid the large start-up load of the HID's and then switch them on once the bike is running. Really appreciate any input.
P.S. If I was running at night I would probably use LED's but the TRUHID's kit is inbound. Thanks!

http://www.socalmotogear.com/Harley-...Kit-p/h1hk.htm
I STRONGLY recommend you get a harness with a delay relay!

I just went through this a few months ago and no matter how I ran it, (Through Stock lighting or standard relay with hot straight to battery)every now and then the HID would shut off on engine start up. Especially, when the engine is cold. The starter just draws to much current and it starves your ballast.

After installing the delay relay it fires off EVERY time. Once you turn on ignition there is a 10-15 second delay before ballast fires off. Works perfectly!
It also prolongs the life of the ballast. Ballasts don't like having the current cut out while running.

I would go with either 5000 or 4300k. Nothing higher.
I went with 5k 35watt bulbs in the Dual Halogen Reflector. It's ridiculously bright, day or night!

Good luck!

Last edited by Cliff-AZ; 04-11-2014 at 01:49 PM.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:01 AM
BlessedHellride
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I thought this kit was plug and play? what's all this about running a power wire to the battery, is there a known problem with the ballasts burning up or something that I didn't catch in my research about this HID product?

Quick Reply: TRUHIDS HID install question, 13 SG