Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wireing decompressors

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 02:41 PM
harley#1
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Wireing decompressors

Hey. I looked on here but couldn,t find what i want. Is it a big and costly job to wire auto comp. to a 09 classic. thanks.

Old 04-14-2014, 02:49 PM
rockajet1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by harley#1
Hey. I looked on here but couldn,t find what i want. Is it a big and costly job to wire auto comp. to a 09 classic. thanks.
I would think that pulling the heads, drilling and tapping them would be the long pole in that tent. Compared to that, I wouldn't think wiring would be that expensive.

Old 04-14-2014, 03:19 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

Hmm,

looked at the 09 wiring diagram and there is no facility there, and no ACR facility at the ECM.

So this may require a change in ECM wpuld be required ( and would the thundermax be a better, less expensive way to go?)

but manual CR's would be fairly easy ( I see that a pair of JIMs are under $100)

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 04-14-2014 at 03:22 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:04 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Here is the instructions that come with the harness 70623-08, that I think would be used to wire in the ACR's. I put them in my 08 FLHX when installing my MVA heads. http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...ts/-J04441.pdfThe ecm has to be enabled using the dt or a sepst, tts or pv.

Old 04-14-2014, 04:06 PM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

Noob question....What is the purpose of the CR and how do they work?

Old 04-14-2014, 04:36 PM
HOGNOT
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had this done a few years ago. Local shop wanted about a grand. I can't remember if that included the ACR's which cost about $100-150 as I recall.

Anyway, it was well worth it in my case. I had severe starter kick back thanks to the engine build from a 96 to a 103 by the former owner. He told me, ".... all Harleys kick back like that....". Idiot that I am and new to Harley I accepted that for a few days and then I came to my senses and had the compression releases installed, plus I had it built to a 107 since they had to go in there anyway. What a freaking relief to start the bike without people nearby saying, "Holy crap, that doesn't sound good!"

VR

Last edited by HOGNOT; 04-14-2014 at 04:46 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:44 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,818 Likes on 18,573 Posts

Wire them through the "start" switch ... or you can buy the harness and hook it through the ECM ( a bit of a task ) and good eyes needed.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...ts/-J04441.pdf

Old 04-14-2014, 04:46 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by HOGNOT
I had this done a few years ago. Local shop wanted about a grand. I can't remember if that included the ACR's which cost about $100-150 as I recall.

Anyway, it was well worth it in my case. I had severe starter kick back thanks to the engine build from a 96 to a 103 by the former owner. He told me, ".... all Harleys kick back like that....". Idiot that I am and new to Harley I accepted that for a few days and then I came to my senses and had the compression releases installed. What a freaking relief to start the bike without people nearby saying, "Holy crap, that doesn't sound good!"

VR
ACR's are 40 a piece, the harness is 50. If his heads are already prepped for them I don't even think he has to take off his heads, only the tank. I don't think he stated what heads he has, stock or otherwise. I had mine installed a few years back as well and I am very glad I did too.

Old 04-14-2014, 04:55 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by just plain john
Noob question....What is the purpose of the CR and how do they work?
compression releases are like "valves" added to the heads.

they allow a starting motor to spin a few times without compression to build up forward momentum, then the compression releases close, and the motor will then have fuel/air, spark, and compression and can start up.

the automatic CR ( ACR's) are used by H-D on the 103 motors.
and as discussed here, can be added to other models

the old Vincent Black Shadow had them controlled by a lever on the left bar

manual types are often just set into position by the rider and will close automatically

the twin cam motor has a light flywheel compared to earlier V twin motors, this allows the motor to build RPMS more quickly, but there are drawbacks, such as lower forward momentum, poorer low speed operation ( my '53 can ride at 600 rpms)
the twin cam is also typically higher compression than earlier motors
all this means that a motor trying to start can 'rebound" or reverse direction if the piston doesn;t have enough forward momentum to gets past Top Dead center ( TDC) on the compression stroke

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 04-14-2014 at 05:33 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:06 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

The overlay harness isn't a big deal, but you have to reconfigure the fuse block, and open the ecm main plug. (at least that's what I had to do on my bike). Later 103 heads, and many SE heads are already machined to accept the acrs. I enabled my acrs via tts.

Quick Reply: Wireing decompressors