Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Level Question...

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 10:58 PM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oil Level Question...

Since new, I've always only checked the oil level on my Ultra with the engine cold due to wanting to check it before riding. It always seems to be right where the owners manual and service manual say it should be, in the middle of the dipstick when on the jiffy stand.

Today, I rode the bike maybe 15 miles and when I got back, I decided to do a 'hot' check. It showed in the middle of the dipstick, but since I didn't check it when cold, I didn't have a reference to the 'before' and 'after' fluctuation on the dipstick. Naturally, based on the manuals, I decided to bring it up to the top of the 'hot' scale on the jiffy stand. It's probably been 9+ hours since I parked it, went out and checked it, and it's only down slightly from the 'full' mark (Two bubbles or whatever the marks are on the dipstick.)

Why would the 'hot' reading from nine hours ago be almost the same as it is right now when the oil should be cold? Or should the 'cold' reading only be done after sitting over night?

Lastly, does it seem that it is now overfilled and should I remove some of the oil?

Attached Thumbnails Oil Level Question...-screen-shot-2014-04-30-at-8.56.28-pm.jpg  
Old 04-30-2014, 11:05 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Cold is cold, 9 hrs sould suffice. On my 96 ( non balanced) when its cold its in the middle, when its hot it reads full. After getting it up to operating temp did you idle it for a minute or two before checking it.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:52 PM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by ynots
Cold is cold, 9 hrs sould suffice. On my 96 ( non balanced) when its cold its in the middle, when its hot it reads full. After getting it up to operating temp did you idle it for a minute or two before checking it.
All sounds good, so what happened that the 'hot' reading was such that I had to add oil and now the 'cold' reading is the same as the 'hot' reading? And would you say that it's now overfilled?

Old 05-01-2014, 01:09 AM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

I did a similar experiment with my Limited when it was new. The difference on the dipstick between 70 deg. and 220 deg. is 3 dots.

I see absolutely no reason to check the oil when hot unless you enjoy burning your hands. And besides, what is hot? Is 160 deg. hot? Or 180? Or 200, 220, 240, etc.?

If it was really that critical a specific temperature should be specified, not simply "hot".

Old 05-01-2014, 02:05 AM
Markk9
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

"Hot" oil is between 200 and 220 degs.

Old 05-01-2014, 04:30 AM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior

The "HOT" check is the most accurate, which is at least 180°F, and should be done at your bike's normal operating temperature. Follow the procedure in the owners manual.

Old 05-01-2014, 05:12 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,246 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraClassicElectraGlide
Why would the 'hot' reading from nine hours ago be almost the same as it is right now when the oil should be cold?
Because yours didn't leak oil down into the engine crankcase while it sat there.

I strongly suspect the concern in the manual regarding not overfilling a cold engine has to do with engines that have sat for days and weeks or even months, slowly leaking oil into the crankcase. These engines will show a false low when checked cold.

This is that spring time phenomena many experience, of finding no oil on the dipstick after winter hibernation. The oil has leaked from the tank into the crankcase. Fire the engine up and let it run for a bit, and the scavenge pump will pull it from the crankcase and refill the tank.

Old 05-01-2014, 05:21 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Originally Posted by foxtrapper
This is that spring time phenomena many experience, of finding no oil on the dipstick after winter hibernation. The oil has leaked from the tank into the crankcase. Fire the engine up and let it run for a bit, and the scavenge pump will pull it from the crankcase and refill the tank.
Thanx for that one bro. I'll be home later this month to start my BO for the first time since early October. I'd have overfilled my "Depends" if there were no oil on the stick not knowing this

Old 05-01-2014, 06:22 AM
road king Q
Road Master
Received 196 Likes on 141 Posts

I was told overfill is bad and HOT is after riding several miles.. not just running for a few minutes. OP, I would think a few more checks may make it clearer?? Maybe you have done that already

Old 05-01-2014, 06:45 AM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

I could be wrong with my thinking but the Harley oil level stick is designed for normal dyno oil, which expands and rises more when hot compared to a synthetic oil. OP are you using dyno oil or synthetic?

Quick Reply: Oil Level Question...