VRSC Models V-Rod, Street Rod, Night Rod and Night Rod Special

Discontinuing the VROD???

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 11:22 AM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by NDBadlands4-2
They really missed out that they never really developed the bike to its full potential. A sport touring vrod would have been great, so would have been a more sporty version.
Now we are talking, a Sport Touring V-Rod that makes sense to me. As I've said for years,
make the engine bigger, tune it for torque, and drop the rev limiter to 7000 or 6800 RPM.
Change the frame and suspension a little, through on a Fairing and Bags, we got it now.
Sport Touring V-Rod Style ! ! !

John

Old 05-05-2017, 07:46 PM
Touring_NightRod
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They could/should use mine as a platform.
I have owned Ducati's, ZX12R, Harley Road King,
and many others. THIS by far is my favorite overall bike.
It is good at EVERYTHING, but not great at anything. Perfectly me. Regardless of what they do, there is always room for improvement and the need to make a bike YOUR OWN anyhow. I just won't be letting this one go for quite some time. There is something to be said though, when you are on a rare and interesting invention vs a production bike.

Last edited by Touring_NightRod; 05-05-2017 at 07:58 PM.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:07 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by Touring_NightRod
Though I am just going on a single picture.....
Should I have the wherewithal to get a third bike.... your bike is pretty much the quintessential depiction of what it would be. An intercooled, turbocharged, Road Rod Conversion VROD. Kudos for a bad *** ride!

Old 05-10-2017, 01:22 PM
DM426
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 772 Likes on 369 Posts

The problem with it isn't the engine, it's the bike itself. The engine is actually pretty good, but the whole bike is designed low and long, so it handles just as poorly as a softail. That pretty much makes it useless except for cruising down the strip by the beach on Saturday night. It's uncomfortable for long rides, it won't canyon carve, and its performance is only good compared to other Harley's.

Competing bikes like the Ducati XDiavel are just better in every single way. Word is that BMW is working on a competitor to the XDiavel, and Yamaha may eventually bring back a new incarnation of the VMax.

A performance cruiser with real power could be of interest to a whole lot of people if done right. But I think a lot of people are scared off by the V-Rod's s***** handling, sub-par brakes, and clunky styling. Park a V-Rod next to a Diavel and the Harley just looks like a Model T.

Sure, you can drop $15k on one and turn it into something badass, and I've seen some really cool looking V-Rods, but that's about all it will be -- a cool looking bike.

Last edited by DM426; 05-10-2017 at 01:33 PM.
Old 05-12-2017, 01:55 PM
movado
Stage IV
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DM426
The problem with it isn't the engine, it's the bike itself. The engine is actually pretty good, but the whole bike is designed low and long, so it handles just as poorly as a softail. That pretty much makes it useless except for cruising down the strip by the beach on Saturday night. It's uncomfortable for long rides, it won't canyon carve, and its performance is only good compared to other Harley's.

Competing bikes like the Ducati XDiavel are just better in every single way. Word is that BMW is working on a competitor to the XDiavel, and Yamaha may eventually bring back a new incarnation of the VMax.

A performance cruiser with real power could be of interest to a whole lot of people if done right. But I think a lot of people are scared off by the V-Rod's s***** handling, sub-par brakes, and clunky styling. Park a V-Rod next to a Diavel and the Harley just looks like a Model T.

Sure, you can drop $15k on one and turn it into something badass, and I've seen some really cool looking V-Rods, but that's about all it will be -- a cool looking bike.
A Softail has ~26 degrees lean angle, the Night Rod Special has 32 degrees lean angle. It has more available lean angle than both the Roadster and the Low Rider S. Sure the rake isn't ideal on the Night Rod Special, but comparing the handling to the Softail is just plain wrong. Yes the 240 tire and rake requires you to muscle the bike a bit more at low speeds, but once you get moving, it's quite easy to toss around.

The brakes on the Night Rod Special are one of the best in any cruiser. They use dual disc Brembo brakes. My NRS stops quicker than my stock 2015 Z1000.

The XDiavel retails for $5,000 more than the Night Rod Special. Both have very different looks and utility. The XDiavel is better for canyon carving, but you don't purchase the VRod for just performance. It's buying any other motorcycle; you buy it for looks, performance, price, and features.

As for long rides, I agree, in it's stock form, it can be uncomfortable for certain riders. If you love the looks of the VRod, you can change pegs, handlebars, and seats and add a windscreen and luggage and you're set for long treks. It's not built for long cruises, but just like any motorcycle, you can add your personal mods to make it what you want.

Old 05-12-2017, 06:16 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Based on that glowing report; I'm stunned they don't make the V rod anymore

We'll no, not really

Old 05-12-2017, 06:44 PM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

I'll say again.....it was way better than I expected it to be when I rode it.

Right now I'm seeing Vrods going for less than Vmaxs. I know..I know...like comparing a bullet to an arrow. But honestly....I'm not sure if I'm up to the potential of the Vmax anymore. It's been a long time since I've ridden a truly fast bike.

Old 05-12-2017, 06:46 PM
movado
Stage IV
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I think most potential buyers are put off by the sewing machine stock exhaust sound, stock clamshell riding position, and lack of torque. Plus having a negative reputation of the motor being "designed" by Porsche didn't do it any favors. Still a fantastic bike, just didn't fully catch on by the traditional Harley crowd.

Old 05-14-2017, 08:06 PM
Touring_NightRod
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have owned Ducati's, ZX12R, Boulevard, Virago, Road King, KZ1000, among others, and among them all, this is the best all around bike. It fits all worlds. Granted it has a bagger kit on it and a turbo, but I make every bike my own. It is not the best of any class, but it can hang with most. Harley currently offers nothing else that I would buy. I like comfort, I like touring ability, but I like power too. When I bought this bike, I was seeking a Vmax. The bagger kit did it for me, knowing that I would have to add a turbo to satisfy me. I'd rather be one of one, that one of a million. SO I have $18,000 in a $7,000 bike, but it is ALL ME. I have not ran into ONE Harley die hard who does not salivate over this bike (or any bike enthusiast for that matter). Not a single one. People ask me to pull over at stop lights so that they can take pictures or talk to me about the bike. Not that I would care, if they did not. I do me. No one else.

Last edited by Touring_NightRod; 05-14-2017 at 08:13 PM.
Old 05-15-2017, 05:19 PM
PWMORRIS
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Touring_NightRod
I have owned Ducati's, ZX12R, Boulevard, Virago, Road King, KZ1000, among others, and among them all, this is the best all around bike. It fits all worlds. Granted it has a bagger kit on it and a turbo, but I make every bike my own. It is not the best of any class, but it can hang with most. Harley currently offers nothing else that I would buy. I like comfort, I like touring ability, but I like power too. When I bought this bike, I was seeking a Vmax. The bagger kit did it for me, knowing that I would have to add a turbo to satisfy me. I'd rather be one of one, that one of a million. SO I have $18,000 in a $7,000 bike, but it is ALL ME. I have not ran into ONE Harley die hard who does not salivate over this bike (or any bike enthusiast for that matter). Not a single one. People ask me to pull over at stop lights so that they can take pictures or talk to me about the bike. Not that I would care, if they did not. I do me. No one else.
Awesome-
This ^^^^^^^^^^^^is what made HD, HD. Taking the bike, and making it your own....not what the posers want, or the latest trend, but what YOU like, and making it happen.
Whether that was stock, mild paint changes, modified, or fully modified.
Well done.

The following 2 users liked this post by PWMORRIS:
10 RED RK (08-28-2017), nevada72 (05-15-2017)

Quick Reply: Discontinuing the VROD???