VRSC Models V-Rod, Street Rod, Night Rod and Night Rod Special

Is riding a V rod comfortable? Riding position?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 03:38 PM
Bumbobee
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is riding a V rod comfortable? Riding position?

I've sat on a few V rods and I am still trying to see if riding one would be comfortable for long peroids of time? Seems to me you sit a bit hunched over and the handle bars really needed to be a few inches longer. My dad got the same impressions.

Would having mid controls or longer handle bars make it better?

Id like to hear your thoughts.

Old 12-23-2008, 03:47 PM
Tripped1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bumbobee
I've sat on a few V rods and I am still trying to see if riding one would be comfortable for long peroids of time? Seems to me you sit a bit hunched over and the handle bars really needed to be a few inches longer. My dad got the same impressions.

Would having mid controls or longer handle bars make it better?

Id like to hear your thoughts.
Mid controls may help, but as it sits the possition is pretty bad. When I was stationed in Hawaii (Ouahu) I got TAD'd to Kauaii for 3 weeks and instead of renting a car on the gov'ment's dime I rented a V-Rod.

The bike has some pretty serious *****, and with the forward controls the stock seat isn't really sufficient to keep your *** in place so you end up hanging of the bars, which is a big no no to me. You can't really lean into it either because you bend yourself in a C shape, and just end up hanging off the bars looking for all the world like a striped ape.

Maybe with some tip backs or a Z-bars you could get the bars back within the relm of reason. But I'm 6 foot with a 35" sleeve and it got pretty uncomfortable pretty fast, there is always a bit of a forawr lean to it for me.

Then again, I REALLY REALLY like the looks of the Muscle. Just looks mean to me, I may have to see if hte un****ed that seating possiton a little later this week.

Old 12-23-2008, 04:02 PM
Bumbobee
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Tripped1
Mid controls may help, but as it sits the possition is pretty bad. When I was stationed in Hawaii (Ouahu) I got TAD'd to Kauaii for 3 weeks and instead of renting a car on the gov'ment's dime I rented a V-Rod.

The bike has some pretty serious *****, and with the forward controls the stock seat isn't really sufficient to keep your *** in place so you end up hanging of the bars, which is a big no no to me. You can't really lean into it either because you bend yourself in a C shape, and just end up hanging off the bars looking for all the world like a striped ape.

Maybe with some tip backs or a Z-bars you could get the bars back within the relm of reason. But I'm 6 foot with a 35" sleeve and it got pretty uncomfortable pretty fast, there is always a bit of a forawr lean to it for me.

Then again, I REALLY REALLY like the looks of the Muscle. Just looks mean to me, I may have to see if hte un****ed that seating possiton a little later this week.
Hmm ya, sad to hear Do you think if you had a reach seat on it and reach controls, giving you 2 more inches, it would be comfortable? The "C" position throws me off big time, and I love the V rod so much

Old 12-23-2008, 04:22 PM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

That has been a big issue with me also,the vrscd with the mids is no picnic either.

Old 12-23-2008, 04:34 PM
Tripped1
Tourer

Originally Posted by Bumbobee
Hmm ya, sad to hear Do you think if you had a reach seat on it and reach controls, giving you 2 more inches, it would be comfortable? The "C" position throws me off big time, and I love the V rod so much
It's about half and half between the pegs and the bars. The handle bars I'm sure can be fixed with a little playing with risers to get them in a better place for cruising, and maybe an aftermarket seat to keep your *** where it needs to be.

It's been something I've debated on over and over because I REALLY like the V-rods. Problem is they are so rare that I've never been able to mess with one like damned near any other bike I can think of.

I do however, have a line on a Blackrod Special for under $10,000 that I have to go look at. Maybe that'll end up my winter project, going to freeze my nuts off testing it out though.

We'll see

Old 12-23-2008, 08:33 PM
Herr Monk
Elite HDF Member

Which model are you talking about?

The VRSCAW "V-Rod" is pretty comfy, pretty upright, the bars have lots of pullback.

The VRSCD has less pullback, but the mids make it comfy.

The DX has those drag-bars matched with forward controls... that's not comfy for most over a distance.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:30 PM
DesertSpeed
Account Suspended

20,000 miles in 20 months on a VRSCD. One would suspect I kind of like the bike.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:27 PM
eazy
Road Warrior

Gotta have the right bike for you, I'm sure everyone that rides would agree. I put on 9300 miles the first year (dropped cause the bike was wrecked in the second year) including several 400+ mile days. Less than some but more than most and this is no "touring" bike. If you get one that feels good to you, you will be fine IMO.

Old 12-24-2008, 01:13 AM
Tripped1
Tourer

Admittedly the one I rode was an 03, so maybe it changed a bit. First off it really felt weird because I was on a crotch rocket at the time. I straight miss forward controls, 20 years of mid peg muscle memory means I'm going to have to get used to anything with forwards on them. Plus I'm not used to harley's blinker per side controls. More used to the single toggle on the left thumb but that easy enough to remedy.

I found a guy selling a Black Rod Special for a really good price, just waiting to get the blessing from the bank because, of course, the Credit Union aint talking loan the week of Christmas.

Daddy just might be getting a new toy. I've got visons of of black and bling 240 dancing in my head now.

oh yeah, and why are all of the aftermarket fenders for V-rods *** ugly, I've see TWO that I like and one required a 280 to look right...for 1500 bucks with seat pan, the other I've seen but can't find. I'm assuming it's a one off. I get this bike it looks like I might have to fire up the grinder, apparently a decent pro-stock style fender is to much to ask.

Old 12-24-2008, 12:10 PM
Bumbobee
Cruiser

I was looking at the VRSCDX 2009 Night Rod Special. Are there any comfortable handle bars available from the catalogue or anywhere else that can be put on?

Quick Reply: Is riding a V rod comfortable? Riding position?