VRSC Models V-Rod, Street Rod, Night Rod and Night Rod Special

exhaust confusion

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 08:46 PM
Malcomx
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hal64hd
The 02 sensors only control fuel in closed loop any major load at 50% to full throttle the 02 sensors have no control as the bike goes into open loop and runs on predetermined map parameters in the ECU
That's entirely correct. But there is an offset table that uses closed loop values to alter the open loop values. I've read that the offset can be as much as 10%, that equals 1.4 to 1 AFR. So if you're tooling along and crack the throttle wide open, the ECM reverts to map, but also adjusts that map based on the closed loop values.

I don't know any of this as confirmed fact, since I didn't design the Delphi ECM used in V-Rods. It all comes from a couple years of reading everything I've been able to find about the system, and from a couple of fellows who did work on the Delphi ECM.
Most of the people you find that say the stock ECM can't adjust enough for pipes and a filter are generally repeating what "everyone knows", or they're trying to sell you a tuner.
The fundamental problem is the bikes are lean from the factory, and to make them ride-able you need to lower the closed loop AFR, and the only way to do that is with a tuner, changing the O2 sensor bias tables, or lowering the O2 sensor output voltage.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:07 PM
Slim_B_Kool
Cruiser
Default pipe change

I don't dispute Hal or Malcolm on anything they say. Both of these guys have more experience with vrods than I do. I'm just saying that you should be ok with a set of slip-on. You could try a higher flow air filter and if the bike runs then all the better. If you are thinking about a higher flow filter then just go with the stage 1, You would get more power and will probably like the bike even more.

Old 04-17-2011, 12:15 AM
avman
1st Gear

I have decided to get the TTS mastertune, find a reliable shop to tune it, and I'll check back here. I will have some gap in time between picking my bike up and getting the tuner, not sure how long, but the sooner the better as far as I am concerned. I believe that installing a tuner and getting a professional job done on a stock bike for power and performance can net some additional horses as EPA wouldn't be your primary concern at that point. I will have a baseline run w/V&H slip-ons and air cleaner, then see how much HP can be squeezed out. I wanted a bone stock baseline to compare, but the new V&H will be on my bike when I get it back.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:22 PM
Slim_B_Kool
Cruiser

Thats the way to go for the most out of your bike. Good luck with it.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:09 AM
Kevin M G
Stage IV

How in the hell did you guys figure all this **** out. I've got an 08 aw and I dont know **** about it except it runs great and it looks bad ***.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:45 PM
Malcomx
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kevin M G
How in the hell did you guys figure all this **** out. I've got an 08 aw and I dont know **** about it except it runs great and it looks bad ***.
Months of reading everything I could find on V-Rod fuel injection. Over at 1130cc.com there is a wealth of information in the EFI section, you just need to dig in and start reading.