Welcome Area Only New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what Harley Davidson you own. Save your bike related questions for the proper area.

New Member Asking a question

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2020, 10:22 AM
Soelman
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New Member Asking a question

Hi everybody!
I am new to the forums but I have been riding for about 11 years. I have been riding metric cruisers (currently a Kawasaki Vulcan 900). I'm 50 now and I will be an empty nester in a few more years. I have recently relocated to the area for a new work opportunity. Glad to be a part of the group here. Now to my question.
I am looking at a "gently" used '03 FLHTCU/I, Ultra Classic Electra Glide Anniversary Edition. According to the site of the auto dealer that is selling it, it has 24, 276 miles on it. I haven't seen it in person yet. Before I go look at it and take a test ride, is there anything I should be looking out for when I do the walk around and test ride? Are there any known issues with these bikes that a noob wouldn't know about? This will be my first HD and I don't want to get burned.
Thank you in advance for the insight and allowing a me to pick your brains.

Old 07-02-2020, 10:30 AM
squirrelsnest
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,397 Likes on 2,661 Posts

Welcome to the forums from Virginia...………...

Old 07-02-2020, 10:46 AM
kel03
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,045 Likes on 4,356 Posts

Welcome to the forums from Ontario, Canada, lots of things to check, chain tensioner being one of them .

Post the question in right forum, suggest "touring " where you'll get more traffic. Also, have a read of the forum rules, good luck.

Old 07-02-2020, 10:52 AM
Soelman
4th Gear

Thanks for the information kel03. I will post over there also.

Old 07-02-2020, 10:57 AM
ramblin5
Road Master

Received 217 Likes on 110 Posts

Find out if the cam chain tensioners have been replaced. If not, and you buy it, make that the first thing you do. Go with the hydraulic version.

Old 07-02-2020, 11:01 AM
Soelman
4th Gear

I appreciate the information ramblin5. I will be sure to ask about that.

Old 07-02-2020, 11:45 AM
Vec
Road Master

Received 475 Likes on 267 Posts

Welcome from Texas

Old 07-02-2020, 12:50 PM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,353 Likes on 10,706 Posts

Originally Posted by Soelman
Hi everybody!
I am new to the forums but I have been riding for about 11 years. I have been riding metric cruisers (currently a Kawasaki Vulcan 900). I'm 50 now and I will be an empty nester in a few more years. I have recently relocated to the area for a new work opportunity. Glad to be a part of the group here. Now to my question.
I am looking at a "gently" used '03 FLHTCU/I, Ultra Classic Electra Glide Anniversary Edition. According to the site of the auto dealer that is selling it, it has 24, 276 miles on it. I haven't seen it in person yet. Before I go look at it and take a test ride, is there anything I should be looking out for when I do the walk around and test ride? Are there any known issues with these bikes that a noob wouldn't know about? This will be my first HD and I don't want to get burned.
Thank you in advance for the insight and allowing a me to pick your brains.
Hi there Soelman, this is the Welcome Only Area my friend. Above in this area are our rules in the sticky part on top.

"A general question like yours can likely go in the CHAT area.............see below.
Now my friend for my regualr welcome to you...........G'day mate,

welcome to HDF.

I will be your tour guide. Be sure to read the manual before posting ok mate?

Or we will have discipline you and if you don't "get it" we will need to discipline you biker style.

Here is a gift for you… LOL! “I so funi!”

Now let’s get serious for your orientation. Go down the hall on your left to the 1st room. No, wait. The 1st room on your right. That is where the commissary is.

Then you will see doors marked for the mortuary, skeet shooting, a room where we make fun of In-Jun bikes, and of course we have a ahh, umm, oh yeah a across the hall.

We had a BOMB MAKING room but, well, ahhhhh, 1 of the guys just didn't understand Blasting Caps very well so..... you know.

We have our own pub .

There are several places where you can familiarize your self with the .

So don't be a wall flower watching others . Get involved.

See you around mate. I am going to the commissary now.

**** ON THE SERIOUS SIDE ****

You are in the “New Members Area” where you can introduce yourself and let us know what Harley Davidson bike(s) (if any) you ride/own.

If you have questions about engines, exhaust systems, audio issues, etc… then:

1) Please go to the upper corner and Roll Over “Forums

2) Then come down to and Roll Over “Harley Davidson Tech & Mechanical Forum

3) Then come down to the section that would be most appropriate for your question like Audio Systems, Engine Mechanical Topics, Exhaust System Topics, etc… and CLICK on the topic you have a question about.

You will find the knowledge here is EXCELLENT and these here mates are willing to help you in any way they can. ‘juss be careful. There are some “Trolls”, so I suggest just ignoring them ‘ole farts.

See you around HDF. Come often, we have a humor thread, game thread, and a LOT of other stuff.

Have A Great Day Mate,

BuzzCap7

Old 07-02-2020, 01:04 PM
Spartanden
Club Member

Received 8,259 Likes on 6,015 Posts

Welcome from Spartan Country, Michigan!
I tell a lot of new comers to the forum to get: Factory Service manual and the Parts manual. Get a three ring binder and record all your maintenance, repairs, accessories, etc. This will be a great reminder of what was done when. And great material to pass along to the new owner should you sell and upgrade. Also know how large your fuel tank is, and record your fuel usage. I have an app called Simply Auto that I record all my fuel used. I use the odometer and use the fuel gage as reference only. I reset the odometer to zero on fill ups, and I know I can safely get 200 miles on a tank on around town riding.
Good Luck!!

Old 07-02-2020, 01:09 PM
Soelman
4th Gear

Thanks Vec and BuzzCap7.
I guess I tried to do two things at once and one of them in the wrong place. I was meaning to find any caveats about purchasing an older, used HD. I think my question has been answered. Appreciate everyone's time.

The following users liked this post:
BuzzCap7 (07-03-2020)

Quick Reply: New Member Asking a question