Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

Harbor freight vs. Cycle hill

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 06:13 PM
tafdeluxe
Cruiser
Received 44 Likes on 13 Posts
Thumbs up Harbor freight vs. Cycle hill

I did my first tire install using Harbor Freight changer coupled with a Nomar bar. All day wrestling match but I won. I think. Really had trouble getting tube in. Not sure when to put it in and exactly how. All demos were on tubeless. It seems to be holding air. I put the tube in after putting one side of the tire on the rim. Huge pain getting valve through the hole. When I filled tire there were bubbles coming out of the valve hole around the valve stem. Thought maybe I pinched the tube but it seems to be holding air. Does it make sense that air that was between the tire and tube would leak out around the valve stem? Should have bought the Yellow Thing tire tool from Nomar as bead was popping out. Used c clamps. Still a huge fight.
The Nomar balancer worked great. I went for short ride and everything felt fine.
Changer too tall. Broke loose from cement anchors. I think I should have paid the extra and got the Cycle Hill unit. Was looking to start a little business but got to get much more efficient.
Advice would be greatly appreciated!

Old 04-23-2017, 09:29 PM
Lakerat
Road Warrior
Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Air trapped between the tire and tube is normal and between the valve and hole is the only escape route.
After a couple more rounds, it will get easier.

Old 04-03-2018, 09:03 PM
tafdeluxe
Cruiser
Default One year later

First, the Dunlop American Elite rear tire I installed last year performed very well. It was, is, time to install two new tires. My first attempt this year was considerably faster than my one attempt last year but unsuccessful as I pinched a tube. It did force me really consider all scenarios as to when and how to install the tube.
What I decided to was to put the valve in place threading the lock nut just a few turns. I then put the valve area of the tube into the tire and started that part of the tire on the rim. Once I wrestled the first bead on the rim (the Harbor freight set up is too high to efficiently work that first bead on) I made sure the tube was not twisted nor in the way of the No Mar bar. Now using large c-clamps to keep the bead from walking. I am much more efficient with the install end of the Non Mar bar. So my second attempt this year was successful and just under 1.5 hrs.
Wil do my third effort, second on the front tire, tomorrow.
Since the Harbor Freight unit is really two changers; an auto tire changer with a bike adapter on top, it ends up to be too high. It needs upgrades like the nylon Mojo blocks on the rim clamps and you need a different lever that has nylon tips as the HF lever is sure to scratch your rims. I find the rim spins. I don't want to really crank up the clamp and maybe crush my rim.
The Cycle Hill unit looks slick. It is the right height so you can use your hip on the lever. The rim is locked with a cam. You don't have to upgrade the lever as they are the company that has the No Mar bar. I haven't used one but if you are in the market, spend the extra, avoid having to upgrade, and get the Cycle Hill.
Got to love the look of new meats!

Old 04-04-2018, 08:25 AM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 713 Likes on 625 Posts

i have the hf tire changer and done 17 truck tires and with the mc accessory, mc tires. the trick is to keep the bead in the center of the rim where the deepest area is, this will allow the tire to bead on, i use a lube like armorall extreme tire shine, BEAD ONLY!!
once the first bead is on, install tube, inflate till it becomes round but squishy, this will help in NOT pinching the tube.
if i get time, i will post my set up, i too at first used the achor setup but now, all i do is drop the changer into a PVC pipe buried in the ground with a cap when not used. i also use the same for my hyd. pipe bender.

Old 04-04-2018, 01:41 PM
bustert
Grand HDF Member

Harbor freight vs. Cycle hill-dlrxocl.jpg

rotation is stopped by 3/4 pins. bead breaker is a pinch between bottom plate and pivot arm, so there is no lift. you can shim with wood around the tire to even it out. it is bolted to a piece of pipe that slips into 3" pvc and you can use whatever length to suite you. i use the same setup to mount my hydraulic pipe bender.
the quinn is optional security guard. the bad one lives in the house, barks over here and bites way over there, kills man or beast and it is a bulldog 38spl variety.

The following users liked this post:
tafdeluxe (04-04-2018)
Old 04-04-2018, 06:05 PM
tafdeluxe
Cruiser
Default Cut time in half

Mounted my front tire this evening is just over half hour. No tube pinch and my procedure for installing the tube worked very well last evening and tonight. Just wondering what you do in the cold weather if you have your set-up outside? Warm tires are much friendlier to work with.

Old 04-04-2018, 06:22 PM
bustert
Grand HDF Member

no issues with cold weather, good tire iron and lube. i do have a secondary location at my shop door but it is a bolt down.

Old 04-06-2018, 08:15 AM
Harlee5438
Cruiser
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

bustert,what u doin with my puppy,lol,got one same color and looks exactly like yours.Sorry for the off subject comment.

Old 04-06-2018, 12:15 PM
bustert
Grand HDF Member

yep she is a brindle color and actually hides pretty well. if you have a varmit problem, the pit is what you want, although my dalmatian will hold it own against it when they tangle, usually get along well. the pit will be bloody as heck because the dalmatian keeps biting, the pit just grabs and shakes.