Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

Chinese wheels?!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 11:14 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

I always try to buy American made stuff....for some stuff it's almost impossible...I quit buying K&N oil filters after they moved production out of the US. But I will say a product made in a factory in China or Mexico that is owned and ran buy an American company is usually far superior to one made by a knock off company operating in the same country. They control the process, machines used an supervise operations.

Old 01-23-2018, 03:22 AM
Scudda
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,182 Likes on 937 Posts

Originally Posted by VmanFLT
Why would You say that? ... And it makes a big difference to me where the stuff that I buy is made. Problems or not.

Because most people with only one or 2 posts that post a complain thread are trolls....you look like you aren't

Second....things are made all over the world...there really is nothing you can do about it...the computer or smart phone you are using was made in asia..along with your TV..Stereo...and so on......Most parts on the car you drive are made over thee or mexico or canada

Old 01-23-2018, 11:09 AM
VmanFLT
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scudda
Because most people with only one or 2 posts that post a complain thread are trolls....you look like you aren't

Second....things are made all over the world...there really is nothing you can do about it...the computer or smart phone you are using was made in asia..along with your TV..Stereo...and so on......Most parts on the car you drive are made over thee or mexico or canada
Well, I'm guessing that this is not the first time You've been wrong.

...And there is something I can do about it- After all, it's up to the consumer to decide whether to purchase a product or not.

If I see Chinese made rims on my Harley, Then my lack of devotion to the brand is going to accelerate (even more than it already has). What do You think would happen to the Harley Davidson brand if they started manufacturing their engines in China? Think people would stand by and say "Ah, it is what it is" as they part with their $26,299.00 +++ I don't think so.

Your "Oh well, I guess there's nothing we can do about it" attitude does nothing to improve the state of this Country.

Old 01-23-2018, 11:25 AM
VmanFLT
6th Gear

Originally Posted by langwilliams
I always try to buy American made stuff....for some stuff it's almost impossible...I quit buying K&N oil filters after they moved production out of the US. But I will say a product made in a factory in China or Mexico that is owned and ran buy an American company is usually far superior to one made by a knock off company operating in the same country. They control the process, machines used an supervise operations.
Amen, Brother. It is very hard, and obviously it can't be done with everything or all at once- but the squeaky wheel gets the grease... and if people do nothing- then nothing is going to get done.

Harley is a very unique case in this instance of corporate outsourcing because of their fierce customer loyalty and the historical pride that exists and is used very effectively in marketing the HD product. People will only eat so much sh*t, though. The Moco has been playing with fire here and the results are starting to show...

Old 01-23-2018, 11:59 AM
Scudda
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,182 Likes on 937 Posts

Well, I'm guessing that this is not the first time You've been wrong.

...And there is something I can do about it- After all, it's up to the consumer to decide whether to purchase a product or not.

If I see Chinese made rims on my Harley, Then my lack of devotion to the brand is going to accelerate (even more than it already has). What do You think would happen to the Harley Davidson brand if they started manufacturing their engines in China? Think people would stand by and say "Ah, it is what it is" as they part with their $26,299.00 +++ I don't think so.

Your "Oh well, I guess there's nothing we can do about it" attitude does nothing to improve the state of this Country.
Nope my "Attitude" as you call it is reality....Tell me what kind of car or truck do you drive? Can you say that all the parts on it were made in America...i bet you can't......I'm all for buying American but in all reality it is next to impossible,...there are plenty of parts on your Harley that were made outside of the USA..Again it is a fact of life...just look at your tires

And yes people would still buy ta $26,000 Harley even if it had parts made in China...they do it today...If you want to give up on Harley because of that..that is your choice and have a nice life

Old 01-23-2018, 02:45 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Cool

This thread has just got funny - for some of us every part of a Harley is foreign - and has been ever since I started buying them back in 1974! I just console myself in the fact that the Harley and Davidson families were foreign as well, in fact the Harleys still live just a short distance from me.....

The following 2 users liked this post by grbrown:
Scudda (01-23-2018), tfi racing (01-23-2018)
Old 01-23-2018, 02:54 PM
VmanFLT
6th Gear

I realize the reality- I live in it too. That doesn't mean that I (and others) can't consider the country of import or the % of imported components on any given product before purchase and the amount of $ they are willing to spend on said product.

If You think that Harley could get away with putting Chinese engines on their motorcycles without suffering any ill effect in the marketplace... then We'll have to agree to disagree.

Old 01-23-2018, 03:05 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,244 Likes on 11,135 Posts

Originally Posted by langwilliams
But I will say a product made in a factory in China or Mexico that is owned and ran buy an American company is usually far superior to one made by a knock off company operating in the same country. They control the process, machines used an supervise operations.
I agree with that statement, and experienced that working in my Corporate Job. But, it takes a lot of focus, and continual on site overvsite to keep the quality up. Many Japenese electronics products are manufactured in China. They have full time residents on site, to ensure the manufacturers adhere to strict quality processes.

I wish, we didn’t have to have so many products manufactured in China. In that is posted the following in the “Tarriff” thread:

“Chinese manufacturing is driven by greed. Greed of corporations that will sell their mother for more profit, consumers that only care about the lowest cost, and employees that think low skilled labor like screwing a screw into a bracket is a job worth $65K per year. “

With a good manufacturing job in China paying $100 per month, it’s hard to compete.

Old 01-23-2018, 03:38 PM
VmanFLT
6th Gear

Originally Posted by grbrown
This thread has just got funny - for some of us every part of a Harley is foreign - and has been ever since I started buying them back in 1974! I just console myself in the fact that the Harley and Davidson families were foreign as well, in fact the Harleys still live just a short distance from me.....
That's nice- We are the world and all that. It doesn't change the fact that China has a long history of importing inferior quality, often times even unsafe products to the USA.

Old 01-23-2018, 04:12 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Thumbs up

That's nice- We are the world and all that. It doesn't change the fact that China has a long history of importing inferior quality, often times even unsafe products to the USA.
That's true, however they also can and do make good quality stuff when given a suitable spec. I'm old enough to recall when Japanese stuff was considered crap - such as their early bikes and cars! Many current Harleys have Chinese wheels and have had for several years now.

Quick Reply: Chinese wheels?!!