Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

Front Brake Problem. Need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 01:29 PM
16VAFXDL
Road Captain

Received 63 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Front Brake Problem. Need Help!

I just had my local indy shop change the brake pads for me last week while it was in the shop for a new front tire. He installed a set of HD brake pads on my bike (my choice). When I picked it up it had virtually no brake pressure and no real front stopping power. I could also pull the lever all the way to the grip. I bled the line and there is no air in the line. I also took the caliper off, removed the pads and reinstalled them. I can still pull the lever to the grip and there is no air in the line. It looks like the pistons are moving in and out but not far enough to contact the back of the pads. Is it possible that the pad clip spring in the pistons could be bent and prevent the caliper from working or does anyone have any other idea what it might be? I am trying to determine if the caliper might be bad.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:56 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 2,420 Posts

There is a thread called Soft Front Break Pull above this one, with hints and tips on this. You are not alone suffering from it. Also look at the DIY forum for even more help.

Old 09-09-2011, 03:51 PM
16VAFXDL
Road Captain

Received 63 Likes on 16 Posts

Came to the conclusion, after doing some more searching here on the forums and then with a little troubleshooting, that the actual problem was the master cylinder because it was bleeding down when we tried to pump up pressure. Used the master cylinder rebuild kit to replace the piston and parts and that solved the problem.

Old 09-09-2011, 03:55 PM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ABNRanger
Came to the conclusion, after doing some more searching here on the forums and then with a little troubleshooting, that the actual problem was the master cylinder because it was bleeding down when we tried to pump up pressure. Used the master cylinder rebuild kit to replace the piston and parts and that solved the problem.
Yeah, I was going to suggest that its possible the seals were gone in your m/c.

Its supposed to pump fluid to the pads, and then when you release, let the pressure off without letting much flow back into the master cylinder....but if the seals go, it will let the pads walk right back when you let off on the handle.

How often did you change your fluid?