Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 Roadking wiring/switches question...

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 08:05 AM
WillyD
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 03 Roadking wiring/switches question...

2003 Road King Classic Anniversary is the bike...Quick question. I pulled my bars off this weekend to make the swap to WO515's. I pulled each side switches and wires off and brought into the house where I was going to install the extension kit and internally wire the bars. The kit I got had 15 wires in it. My bike needs 17. When I contacted the seller of the wiring kit, he is kinda scratching his head as am I as to what the other two wires are for. He told me it should have a standard 12 wire plug set and then 3 extra wires for the bike having cruise. What I have is this. On the left side I have the standard switches. HI/LO, Horn and the turn signal button. Below that is the cruise ON/OFF switch. On the right controls I have standard Start button, Kill switch and the turn signal button. Down below that is the cruise resume/set switch. The harness terminates with two plugs for each side. The right side has a 6 pin plug and a 4 pin plug. The 4 pin uses only 3 wires/pins (9 total wires on the right side) The left control harness has a 6 pin plug and a 4 pin plug also but only uses 2 pins of the 4 (8 total wires). Has anyone pulled theirs apart and had different wiring/plugs? I assume this bike has factory cruise with two swiches, one on each side. Is this correct or not? I think he is going to send me the two wires that I do not have with pins so I can put it back together but I was just curious as to the difference in what he thought I would have and what I actually have.

thanks

Old 12-30-2013, 10:42 AM
WillyD
Tourer

Nobody?

Old 12-30-2013, 11:55 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 396 Likes on 338 Posts

suggest you get a service manual with wiring diagram- I have a bunch, but not for your year/model

mike

Old 12-30-2013, 12:09 PM
WillyD
Tourer

I have the manual. The thing that I am curious about is that the guy I bought the harness kit from is experienced with Harley and the wiring for selling extension kits for guys who put on taller bars. For all intents and purposes I believe my bike is stock and untouched. It seems that the standard 12 pin harness (6 per side) only is trumped by the 3 wires needed for cruise according to him. In my opinion since there are two cruise switches (one on each side of the bars) that each would require wiring to them. (two on the left and three on the right). I will check the manual when I get home but my wondering was if my bike was different somehow as to others who have done this. There are tons of handlebar swap threads but I don't recall the number of wires ever being discussed...

thanks

Old 12-30-2013, 12:17 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

oh, well with the manual you should be able to trace each of the conductors and function and see what is missing.

although H-D has used standardized colors for wiring for many years, you can't trust just "matching colors" when doing wiring. you have to trace and confirm the function of each conductor.

my first guess is that the fairinged touring models have the cruise on/off switch on the dash- your RK has that switch on the left bar.
But it's only a guess as I don't have access to a wiring diagram- you'll sort it out.

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 12-30-2013 at 12:19 PM.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:35 PM
WillyD
Tourer

My guess is that you are correct. That would explain the two wires and the extra plug on the left control that would not be on a bike with the fairing...The way he made it sound was on a Roadking there should be only 15 wires and I have 17. As long as I get the wire pins all back in their correct spot I should be golden. I have not unpinned any connectors yet. I carefully took pictures and charted out on two diagrams exactly what wires go to what pin locations. I have checked and double checked this. if he sends me the two exact colored wires that I am missing then all wire extension wires will match OEM perfectly...

thanks for the response...not that I will be riding anytime soon with this weather around here but I hate to tear something apart and have it set. I turn wrenches for a living so I wanna get it done and back together...

Old 12-30-2013, 12:46 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

yeah, pulling apart and waiting for parts makes the details get foggy on re-assembly.

Mike

Old 12-30-2013, 02:10 PM
WillyD
Tourer

According to the manual the left hand cruise switch has two wires going to the 4pin plug and the right side has 3 wires going to that side's 4 pin plug. The other 12 are the standard 12 for all the other controls...