2018+ Softail Models Breakout

The Everything 2018+ Heritage Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 11:55 PM
badcooky
Banned
Received 473 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettebeach
For those of you who have added Fangs - what effect did it have on your engine temperature? I installed HD fork deflectors (modified for the Heritage 114) and my engine/oil temp is reaching 310F while cruising. I had fangs on my previous 2017Softail Slim, and the engine temps would run around 265F on a normal day.

Appreciate your comments!
I've read somewhere that the M8 temp sensor is in a hotter part of the engine so they don't relate much if at all. The engine of an M8 may read hotter but not be relative to actual temps
Are you saying the bike is hotter now after you fitted the fangs ?

Old 04-21-2018, 08:23 AM
rcpbob
Tourer
Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts
Default engine temo.

I've FLHC 107 and did the same thing with the '16 H-D fangs. But I didn't mount them close against the forks, I let them spaced by the windshield mounts. Just got a Super tuner (from forum member steelcowboy ) and went for a 30 minute ride to check tune. Used a temp. gun and had 265 around the spark plugs. Next time I'll check with the Super tuner meter page and let you know if there is any difference. Ride On! bob

For those of you who have added Fangs - what effect did it have on your engine temperature? I installed HD fork deflectors (modified for the Heritage 114) and my engine/oil temp is reaching 310F while cruising. I had fangs on my previous 2017Softail Slim, and the engine temps would run around 265F on a normal day.

Appreciate your comments![/QUOTE]

Last edited by rcpbob; 04-21-2018 at 08:25 AM.
Old 04-21-2018, 01:40 PM
A1A
Tourer
Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

I have never used the fangs but have used Memphis Shades fork deflectors in the past. I discovered that they really worked good, to good to be exact. Great for winter riding. I removed them when the weather started to warm up. No temperature gauge was used only my seat of the pants feel and the high heat coming off the engine. This was on my Dyna Switchback. So for me now I just leave things stock and enjoy the ride.
Cheers

Old 04-22-2018, 05:20 AM
gscully
Cruiser
Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

I can’t believe I just read this whole thread. I went into the dealer yesterday assuming I would want the Road King but left wanting the Heritage. The had the silver and it just seemed to fit me better. I’m not too crazy about the studs on the bags and seat but I’m sure I’ll get used to them. The only thing I would add now is a padded backrest for the wife.

I didnt talk price with anyone but i did submit a credit app through the Harley website and the dealer sent me an email saying I qualified for the 0 down 1.99% special that unfortunately ended yesterday. Hopefully they’ll have a similar promo for the last week of the month. Thanks for giving me something to read this morning. I hope I’m able to post as an owner at some point in the near future.

The following users liked this post:
A1A (04-22-2018)
Old 04-22-2018, 07:47 AM
cmhdwg09
Road Captain
Received 192 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankEV
Anyone changed out their stock Gas cap for some other kind. If you did, what did you do for the decorative cap on the left side?

Would like to go with a flush gas cap but can't find anything matching for left side.

I have the Fortune Silver and changed out both caps for the brass. I think, given the color of this bike, they look great.

duckf5 (12-27-2021)
Old 04-22-2018, 08:15 AM
Vettebeach
Novice
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by badcooky
I've read somewhere that the M8 temp sensor is in a hotter part of the engine so they don't relate much if at all. The engine of an M8 may read hotter but not be relative to actual temps
Are you saying the bike is hotter now after you fitted the fangs ?
Yes. I didn’t do a before and after temperature comparison (yet!) but the seat of the pants method indicates a significant temperature increase. I have an FP3 for monitoring the temperature, and you are correct: temperature on the M8 comes from the rear head, instead of the front as on earlier softail. I’ll have to pull the fangs off to get a delta.

I am using stock HD ECM tuning. FP3 is only monitoring, before anyone starts yelling at me.

My original question: how hot is too hot?

Last edited by Vettebeach; 04-22-2018 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Added remark
duckf5 (12-27-2021)
Old 04-22-2018, 08:47 AM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 799 Likes on 500 Posts
Default Yeah, right!

Originally Posted by gscully
The only thing I would add now is a padded backrest for the wife.
The Heritage Classis is a great bike and if you buy it, I'll bet you a bunch you don't stop with just back rest for the bride. It is good to start , but you will want to make it your own. You have lots of options as you can see under my signature. Others go way beyond what I've done.

Let us know when you buy and include some pic's.

duckf5 (12-27-2021)
Old 04-22-2018, 09:06 AM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 799 Likes on 500 Posts
Default Oil temp monitoring

OK, I'm dumb. There is no Oil temp gauge on the 2018 Heritage, at least I can't find one on mine. There are no H-D or aftermarket oil temperture gauge dip sticks that fits the 2018 Heritage that I can find. So how do you know what the Oil temp is or should be during or after a haard ride or when stuck in traffic. Would my instant-read kitchen thermometer work?

I do have fangs installed so this thread conversation is making me think I should be concerned...but, should I?

I put a croch cooler on my Cherry because I got advice to do so, but I did not notice any significant difference after it was installed.

I have considered installing Love Jugs but their mounting hasn't been reconfigured to fit the Heritage yet, to my knowledge when I last looked.

duckf5 (12-27-2021)
Old 04-22-2018, 09:52 AM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,152 Likes on 720 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankEV
OK, I'm dumb. There is no Oil temp gauge on the 2018 Heritage, at least I can't find one on mine. There are no H-D or aftermarket oil temperture gauge dip sticks that fits the 2018 Heritage that I can find. So how do you know what the Oil temp is or should be during or after a haard ride or when stuck in traffic. Would my instant-read kitchen thermometer work?

I do have fangs installed so this thread conversation is making me think I should be concerned...but, should I?

I put a croch cooler on my Cherry because I got advice to do so, but I did not notice any significant difference after it was installed.

I have considered installing Love Jugs but their mounting hasn't been reconfigured to fit the Heritage yet, to my knowledge when I last looked.
Solutions in search of a problem? Or perhaps paranoia?

I've heard no complaints about heat on the new Softails. In fact, if the crotch cooler wasn't needed, I'd take it off. Especially if the crotch cooler was covering any part of the motor or preventing any air circulation.

Understand the question/concern about the fangs effect on cooling. As to monitoring temp - you could always use a PV or FP3. They'll provide you any gauge you like while you ride.

duckf5 (12-27-2021)
Old 04-22-2018, 11:01 AM
A1A
Tourer
Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

For those like me who have the EITMS engine idle temperature management system enabled. Does anybody know what the threshold temperature is that makes the rear cylinder deactivate while at idle?
Cheers

duckf5 (12-27-2021)

Quick Reply: The Everything 2018+ Heritage Thread