Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audio System FAQ's

Old 01-31-2015, 12:24 PM
Little Mike
Road Master
Received 93 Likes on 24 Posts

Okay, the responses show a desire for it. I'll work on adding those to it this afternoon or this evening. Currently tending to the honey-do list.

Old 01-31-2015, 12:37 PM
BlackPearl#1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 123 Likes on 110 Posts

Great job. Good info. I vote to add that info too. Like you said, great group here to help.
Kris

Old 01-31-2015, 01:28 PM
uplandpinter
Road Captain
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Little Mike
I thought about including a section about bridging and wiring in parallel but wanted to keep it basic for those just starting out. But, if enough people think it would be advantageous to have them in there I can certainly edit it and add those. What are everyone's thoughts?
This is my take on a thread like this.
I am the average 50yo owner that wants to up grade my bike (stereo in this case). I kind of know what I want but when you guys (in the know) start talking my eyes glaze over and everything goes to a blur. There are a lot of simple questions that a guy in my position/level have, that most of you take for granted. Many of us do not ask the questions that we need to for fear that it will clutter up threads and waste time for everyone. So I am requesting that you guys in the know ad as many things to a thread like this as possible. Even though you my find them simple or a waste of time they will help others get on track.

The following 4 users liked this post by uplandpinter:
'09SG (06-14-2022), D Fritz (10-24-2022), Leboy72TX (04-07-2019), Sober Biker (01-28-2022)
Old 01-31-2015, 01:53 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by uplandpinter
This is my take on a thread like this.
I am the average 50yo owner that wants to up grade my bike (stereo in this case). I kind of know what I want but when you guys (in the know) start talking my eyes glaze over and everything goes to a blur. There are a lot of simple questions that a guy in my position/level have, that most of you take for granted. Many of us do not ask the questions that we need to for fear that it will clutter up threads and waste time for everyone. So I am requesting that you guys in the know ad as many things to a thread like this as possible. Even though you my find them simple or a waste of time they will help others get on track.

Hopefully Mike after you finish your final draft pending approval NUTZ or IZZO can stick it to the top of the forum for you. I think it's great information that would add value to the audio forum.

Last edited by Gannicus; 01-31-2015 at 01:59 PM.
Old 01-31-2015, 02:45 PM
Roadie13
Stellar HDF Member

Received 999 Likes on 495 Posts

Thanks for putting this info out there in one place, I often find myself in a similar spot to uplandpinter, I know just enough to be dangerous.

Because there are so many possible combinations out there, it often seems like splitting hairs when it comes to the pros and cons of each.....one thing that may help us newbies out more than the pros and cons is a listing of combinations to avoid - for instance there are a lot of questions asked about 4 ohm/2 ohm speakers and amps - a list of what amps are not compatible with what speakers would be good and could save someone a few blown speakers. I know the thumbule has been posted a lot, but I always have to think to myself and end up doing multiple searches to try and remember if the higher number is ok on the speaker or the amp.

Old 01-31-2015, 03:20 PM
vhmike73
Road Captain

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

Perhaps some other "eye glazing topics" could be gauging for power/ground wiring, speakers and the like. Grounding (specifically on a bike at least) is another question I see a lot- and thought at lot about! I'd guess these concepts would go hand in hand with wiring for speaker permutations and the like.

The following users liked this post:
Geary Thomas (03-02-2018)
Old 01-31-2015, 10:08 PM
Little Mike
Road Master

Okay. The additions have been added. The only suggested one I didn't get in there was on the different wire gauges and grounding, sorry hvmike. I've seen those questions a couple of times too. But between gauges, how that changes between THHN/THWN/TWN75/, copper and silver, and that different manufacturers make different recommendations on where to ground their amps....I thought it too much for a starter thread.

Old 02-01-2015, 10:14 AM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,039 Likes on 3,711 Posts

As requested, this has is now a Sticky.

jlord9485 (06-23-2020)
Old 02-01-2015, 11:09 AM
Little Mike
Road Master

Thanks to IZZO and those who requested it be made a sticky. Like so many others I do this because I like audio and helping others but the acknowledgement is nice. Thanks again guys!

rochman (01-25-2019)
Old 02-01-2015, 04:21 PM
Roadie13
Stellar HDF Member

Received 999 Likes on 495 Posts

Great post Mike. Just when I think I've got it figured out I end up turning myself around in circles...... Let me see if I understand this parallel/series piece correctly, referring to a 2013 RGC with stock HU. Considering upgrade to 7.1 in front and add pods to my tour pak (7.1 there also) just like you mentioned. When discussing parallel wiring you wrote -

"Again using the stock Harley head unit as an example. The HU is a 2 ohm source. Then you went out and purchased two sets of 4 ohm speakers to replace the stock ones and fill the rear pods you picked up. To keep from possibly doing harm to your HU, specifically the internal amplifier, you are going to need to wire them in parallel."

Does that only apply to when you're trying to just use the HU, or would you have to do the same wiring set up with an amp as well?

Is the 2180 capable of running both the front and rear speakers? If it is, I assume I'm going to lose performance on both because the amp is doing "double duty"? With that set up would I have to go to the 4180 to get the full power out of the front and rears?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Audio System FAQ's