Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audio System FAQ's

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 05:19 PM
Little Mike
Road Master
Received 93 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadie13
Great post Mike. Just when I think I've got it figured out I end up turning myself around in circles...... Let me see if I understand this parallel/series piece correctly, referring to a 2013 RGC with stock HU. Considering upgrade to 7.1 in front and add pods to my tour pak (7.1 there also) just like you mentioned. When discussing parallel wiring you wrote -

"Again using the stock Harley head unit as an example. The HU is a 2 ohm source. Then you went out and purchased two sets of 4 ohm speakers to replace the stock ones and fill the rear pods you picked up. To keep from possibly doing harm to your HU, specifically the internal amplifier, you are going to need to wire them in parallel."

Does that only apply to when you're trying to just use the HU, or would you have to do the same wiring set up with an amp as well?

Is the 2180 capable of running both the front and rear speakers? If it is, I assume I'm going to lose performance on both because the amp is doing "double duty"? With that set up would I have to go to the 4180 to get the full power out of the front and rears?
Okay, lots going on here so we'll start at the beginning. For that example I was referring to using just the HU. The same scenario can come into play but that's if the amp you are using is only stable at a single load rating....say 4 ohms. Then if your 4 speakers were all 2 ohm you would want to wire them in series to make the load 4 ohms. Remember, wiring in series increases resistance and lowers volume because the signal can't flow as freely through the higher resistance. Parallel wiring does the opposite. It lowers resistance and increases volume but the amp is free flowing more power and needs to be designed to handle it and have the headroom so you don't fry it.

Now more specifically about your questions regarding the BT amp and speakers. First, since this equipment is designed by the same company it is meant to work together and compliment each other. That being said the 2180 is only a 2 channel amp. It is rated to be stable down to 2 ohms. The speakers are rated at 4 ohms. So you could wire the two 4 ohm speakers on each side in parallel. This would reduce the load to 2 ohms on each channel and the specs on BT's website for that amp show it will push 4 speakers when wired in parallel.

So, yes you could wire the four speakers to the BT2180. However I don't know if the HU's on the 2013's can be have the fade enabled. I would imagine it could be but if you're wired in parallel you won't have that option since both the front and rears on each side are connected to a single channel.

If you really wanted to be sure you were getting full performance out of all four speakers and the amp as you mentioned, I'd go with the 4180. One speaker per channel is always preferred and it gives you the opportunity to have the ability to fade if it's indeed an option available with a flash.

Think big picture, which it looks like for the most part you are. Based on the upgrades you've mentioned. If you're already planning on dropping the $$$ on 7.1's up front, 7.1's and the pods in the rear, and the amp. Now isn't the time to go all Scrooge on the purse strings for the sake of the $180 to go with the 4180 over the 2180..... unless you absolutely have to.

The following users liked this post:
Sarge2070 (06-26-2022)
Old 02-01-2015, 05:30 PM
Roadie13
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,005 Likes on 497 Posts

Thanks for the help little Mike, that clears it up, exactly what I was looking for.

Old 02-01-2015, 06:34 PM
Little Mike
Road Master

No problem. Glad I was able to help.

Old 02-01-2015, 11:19 PM
lizard86
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have committed to purchasing the Ultimate amp and speaker kit from biketronics w/pods.
My question is, can I use my Polk speakers (which I currently have mounted in the fairing) in my lowers and wire them parallel with the BT 7.1 speakers I will be installing?
if so, what mounting hardware do I need to buy to install those speakers into the lowers?
thank you guys so much for all the guidance and support and helping me lighten my wallet.

Old 02-01-2015, 11:37 PM
Little Mike
Road Master

Which model Polks? The MM651's?

Old 02-02-2015, 01:00 AM
lizard86
Tourer

Originally Posted by Little Mike
Which model Polks? The MM651's?
No. They are the db651 speakers. Specs are 4 ohms and 60 watts continuous handling. If they aren't sufficient I will just sell them to a buddy that has an electra glide with stock speakers.

Last edited by lizard86; 02-02-2015 at 01:04 AM.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:31 AM
Little Mike
Road Master

Originally Posted by lizard86
No. They are the db651 speakers. Specs are 4 ohms and 60 watts continuous handling. If they aren't sufficient I will just sell them to a buddy that has an electra glide with stock speakers.
The 4 ohm rating wouldn't be a problem. You could have just wired them in parallel. However, as usual, there is a but. I would be concerned with the RMS rating of 60 watts on those speakers. The BT amps are no joke and under rated in the power listing...meaning they often produce even more than what is listed. I'd be afraid of blowing those Polks especially considering that running in parallel lowers resistance which increases the output potential and thus the volume.

Old 02-02-2015, 02:58 AM
lizard86
Tourer

The 4 ohm rating wouldn't be a problem. You could have just wired them in parallel. However, as usual, there is a but. I would be concerned with the RMS rating of 60 watts on those speakers. The BT amps are no joke and under rated in the power listing...meaning they often produce even more than what is listed. I'd be afraid of blowing those Polks especially considering that running in parallel lowers resistance which increases the output potential and thus the volume.
That's what I was concerned with. I will just sell them and stick with the BT setup. No sense in buying the mounting brackets just so I can blow my speakers. Eventually I may buy some better speakers and 6X9s.

Old 02-02-2015, 11:50 AM
Little Mike
Road Master

Originally Posted by lizard86
That's what I was concerned with. I will just sell them and stick with the BT setup. No sense in buying the mounting brackets just so I can blow my speakers. Eventually I may buy some better speakers and 6X9s.
If the reviews I've heard from people whose opinions I respect were even close to accurate, then with the sound improvement you'll get with the BT's you're not going to miss the Polks. You'll have some time to decide what other stuff you want to add before the itch sets back in to go after more sound, lol.

Last edited by Little Mike; 02-02-2015 at 12:01 PM.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:26 PM
lizard86
Tourer

If the reviews I've heard from people whose opinions I respect were even close to accurate, then with the sound improvement you'll get with the BT's you're not going to miss the Polks. You'll have some time to decide what other stuff you want to add before the itch sets back in to go after more sound, lol.
I'm positive i'll be more than happy with the setup i'm getting. Thank you very much for all the help.

Quick Reply: Audio System FAQ's