Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brand New Audio Fit Out

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 01:38 AM
SteveG_UK
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Brand New Audio Fit Out

Morning Folks... Happy Fathers Day from the UK!!

I'm a newish member to the HD Forum and I've been following a number of the Audio Threads for the last couple of weeks and I'd love some advice please?

I've recently purchased a new (April 2016) Electra Glide FLHTP model - which I LOVE!! Definitely the best of the three HD's that I've owned.

Now I am looking at adding an Audio System as the FLHTP does not have one. It's a completely blank canvas.

Music wise, my tendency is to listen to the The Boss, ZZ Top, Bryan Adams & The Eagles.

Storage wise, I want to use my iPhone and a USB Thumbdrive for storage, I don't use CD's or listen to the radio much in the UK.

Being an FLHTP there is only the option to currently fit two speakers into the fairing, unless I add wiring all the way back to the panniers and add pannier lid speakers.

Living in England, we don't get the kind of weather that we would love... so I'm frequently out in the rain when commuting.

Now in England we do NOT have the kind of Audio Dealerships who are familiar with fitting out HD's with audio systems, they can handle cars but not bikes, so I'm going to have to probably source the components individually and fit the solution myself. I'm a Systems Engineer, with LOTS of installation experience after ten years in the Royal Navy, so a solder and crimp doesn't worry me.

Now I've been following Shakenbake31's thread, which has helped me a lot.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio...-spending.html

My problem is that not having the Audio Dealerships here in the UK, I've got no one to bounce the "what if" scenario's off.

Looking at the solution proposed by LL247 - man I wish that we had that kind of Audio Dealership over here in England... he would have a queue outside his shop!!

Head Unit - Kenwood KMR-D765BT (Marine Grade) - the write ups on this look good.

BT Install Kit (BT1005X) - I don't understand the purpose of this kit... can someone please explain its functionality?

BT Splash Guard - this seems like a REALLY obvious choice for riding in the UK.

Amplifier - Arc Moto 600.4 - the power write ups appear to be really good for this Amplifier unit, but is this overkill for a two speaker system?

Fairing Speakers - I'm looking for something which is Marine Grade, 6.5" and can provide good frequency response at 70mph for my type of music. Suggestions please?

Are there any bits which I've omitted? I assume that I don't need mounting adaptors?

Being an FLHTP there are no fingertip controls on the bars, which doesn't worry me as I tend to just put my music on and let it play, should I consider adding a set of bar audio unit controls???

Are there any other options that I need/should consider?

Thanks very much in advance,

Steve

Old 06-19-2016, 03:28 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveG_UK
Morning Folks... Happy Fathers Day from the UK!!

I'm a newish member to the HD Forum and I've been following a number of the Audio Threads for the last couple of weeks and I'd love some advice please?

I've recently purchased a new (April 2016) Electra Glide FLHTP model - which I LOVE!! Definitely the best of the three HD's that I've owned.

Now I am looking at adding an Audio System as the FLHTP does not have one. It's a completely blank canvas.

Music wise, my tendency is to listen to the The Boss, ZZ Top, Bryan Adams & The Eagles.

Storage wise, I want to use my iPhone and a USB Thumbdrive for storage, I don't use CD's or listen to the radio much in the UK.

Being an FLHTP there is only the option to currently fit two speakers into the fairing, unless I add wiring all the way back to the panniers and add pannier lid speakers.

Living in England, we don't get the kind of weather that we would love... so I'm frequently out in the rain when commuting.

Now in England we do NOT have the kind of Audio Dealerships who are familiar with fitting out HD's with audio systems, they can handle cars but not bikes, so I'm going to have to probably source the components individually and fit the solution myself. I'm a Systems Engineer, with LOTS of installation experience after ten years in the Royal Navy, so a solder and crimp doesn't worry me.

Now I've been following Shakenbake31's thread, which has helped me a lot.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/audio...-spending.html

My problem is that not having the Audio Dealerships here in the UK, I've got no one to bounce the "what if" scenario's off.

Looking at the solution proposed by LL247 - man I wish that we had that kind of Audio Dealership over here in England... he would have a queue outside his shop!!

Head Unit - Kenwood KMR-D765BT (Marine Grade) - the write ups on this look good.

BT Install Kit (BT1005X) - I don't understand the purpose of this kit... can someone please explain its functionality?

BT Splash Guard - this seems like a REALLY obvious choice for riding in the UK.

Amplifier - Arc Moto 600.4 - the power write ups appear to be really good for this Amplifier unit, but is this overkill for a two speaker system?

Fairing Speakers - I'm looking for something which is Marine Grade, 6.5" and can provide good frequency response at 70mph for my type of music. Suggestions please?

Are there any bits which I've omitted? I assume that I don't need mounting adaptors?

Being an FLHTP there are no fingertip controls on the bars, which doesn't worry me as I tend to just put my music on and let it play, should I consider adding a set of bar audio unit controls???

Are there any other options that I need/should consider?

Thanks very much in advance,

Steve
Steve,
I am one to mix and match all types of components so my comments may be a shock to our forum pals but I really do not see how you could go wrong with the FLHT Police 2014 and up package with the BT2180 and also the BT7.1 Pro Speakers. Your riding conditions will indeed require a bit more of a durable product and of course a lifetime warranty on the goods. Radio warranty is per Kenwood at 1-3 years but the rest will have solid backing from Biketronics. The BT7.1 Pro are a solid speaker ( Basically a Hybrid Audio Technologies speaker) and the aftermarket HU paired with those speaks and 2180 amp puts u in a really good place.

Throw in the HD Forum discount and possibly a Father's Day sale, u could be looking at 15% off.

This option might be worth trying to shoot some hole thru.

Hope this helps.

T.

Old 06-19-2016, 08:27 AM
gordy67
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

hi Steve yea i would look at the Biketronics flhtp package....Gordy

Last edited by gordy67; 06-19-2016 at 08:33 AM.
Old 06-20-2016, 02:20 AM
SteveG_UK
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BikeTronics FLHTP System

Morning Fella's

thanks for the suggestions. I'm definitely liking the look of the BT2180 Amplifier this appears to offer a really good specification for my type of riding.

The 7.1 speakers look an awesome piece of kit with solid review.

I think that your statement on the BikeTronics FLHTP as a possible all in one solution has some mileage in it.

Thanks,

Steve

Old 06-20-2016, 06:26 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by SteveG_UK
Morning Fella's

thanks for the suggestions. I'm definitely liking the look of the BT2180 Amplifier this appears to offer a really good specification for my type of riding.

The 7.1 speakers look an awesome piece of kit with solid review.

I think that your statement on the BikeTronics FLHTP as a possible all in one solution has some mileage in it.

Thanks,

Steve
Just make sure you specify and budget for the 7.1 "Pro" speakers versus the 7.1 as they are a completely different animal.

T.

Old 06-21-2016, 07:26 AM
azlou66
Road Captain

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Tailwind
Just make sure you specify and budget for the 7.1 "Pro" speakers versus the 7.1 as they are a completely different animal.

T.
T are the Pro's worth the up charge vs the standard 7.1 speakers?

Old 06-21-2016, 07:32 AM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by azlou66
Unless you're using a different amp and sending more juice to them, I don't think so. Using the standard 4180 for example to both speakers I wouldn't say the Pro's are "twice" as good for twice the cost. With more juice -- that's a different story.

Old 06-21-2016, 09:27 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by azlou66
For my ears I just do not like the BT7.1 so I would not put much value on those for my system.

Keeping this on context for the OPs situation and my suggestion, the package deal thru BT with all the fixins to include amp, radio, speaks, radio mount, cover, wiring, etc..... and then throw in the upcoming holiday discounts, I would say the the BT7.1 Pros (In a package deal) get to a price point that I could absolutely justify. My ears do like the Pros a lot and those same ears find the 7.1 standard to be a completely different animal.

Staying in context, the OP rides in conditions ( to include commuting) that are more like Seattle and the rain and drizzle can be endless certain times of the year. Enter lifetime warranty. I would not put a comparable Focal, Hertz, JL, etc in those conditions without such lifetime warranty. Worth a few bucks more for sure.

Now if Steve gets everything but the speakers, that package deal blows up and ultimately he will have to pull more stuff out of his wallet to get to a good place for his riding conditions and style.

Totally agree with Haze that the Pros like juice but the BT 2180 will throw 180RMS at these 170RMS (240 max) speaks which is respectable for this ENTIRE scenario.

I don't think the OP can put together a package with this quality and sound and warranty together for his riding needs going the piecemeal route.

Now to answer your direct question, if I had to justify the straight up, stand alone, no package pricing difference in pricing for fairing speaks on my sled and my riding conditions and style, I would take the published $699 and go pretty damn crazy on other speaks. Keep in mind, my sled does not commute, it rides around rain, and rides when it wants to. It will even ride in a trailer cause it is more of a fair weather social butterfly sled.

Hope that helps bro. Tuff call but amazingly nice places like Great Britain also deal with the law of averages and in this case the weather is part of that give and take. (Great speaks, respectable amp output, good HU and last but not least the lifetime warranty on everything but the HU).

Just my 1.5 cents.

T.

Old 06-21-2016, 09:35 AM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

^ Great points.

It's been a while since I had the BT stuff, but part of my thinking also goes to when the BT7P1's could be had with the forum discount for around 225.00 bucks, talk about a deal for good speakers. Considering most folks were running Polks and Kappas at the time the only real competition in that price range and close in sound were the HCX 165's and they were over 300 bucks. So when comparing 225.00 speakers with the Pros that were 500 bucks at the time it was tough to justify that cost with the same power. The KRC's, Arc Moto's, Mille Pro's etc. weren't as common as they are now....neither were the options for amps.

All things considering --- warranty, sound quality, etc. and final price the Pros "ARE" better speakers.

Old 06-21-2016, 11:00 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Lol... I'd just get a set of Moto 602's and run em with a JL 400/4 bridged and call it a day.
Excellent two speaker set up!!

Quick Reply: Brand New Audio Fit Out