Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rockford Fosgate Advisory???

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 01:58 AM
murph
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Rockford Fosgate Advisory???

there was a post on another thread with an update advisory by Rockford Fosgate stating you should have HD flash your radio with one amp to flatten the eq. I have spoke to a couple of people on the forum and they disagree. I'm not trying to start an argument I'm trying to start a discussion. The question is do you flash or not.

I know Biketronics has a line leveler to compensate for the eq. If this advisory is true would you need the line leveler?

Here is the link to the Rockford Fosgate Advisory.

Installing Aftermarket Audio Equipment on 2014 and Newer Harley-Davidson Motorcycles

Maybe a rep with Fockford Fosgate with chime in?

Old 07-04-2016, 06:58 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

If u r using a BT355 LL, IMHO that you will need the flash if your are adding a rear channel to your sled. An example is the SG and RG models that come stock with only fairing speakers. This enables fade control and activates that rear channel. If u have an ultra for example, u will not need the flash as that channel is already awake.
As for the EQ curve, the BT LL is intended to flatten that out thus that component of the flash is not required.
The million dollar question is; if i use the guidance provided by RF and flash to obtain a flat EQ curve, will that further enhance the performance of the BT355.

As for my strategy, I'm going to follow the BT guidance and stick with my SGS flash that is 0 amps, 4 speakers, front upper, rear pods as those are the parameters that have been recommended by the manufacturer of the BT355 LL. If I use RF guidance for BT products, the wheels could totally come off my sound system.

Just my strategy, but interested to see if guys are getting better performance by a potentially flatter EQ curve via flash and the BT LL.

As u mentioned, maybe RF can provide additional technical info. BT more than likely will not get too technical for obvious reasons, i.e. the only LL available on the sled audio market that is intended to deliver the goods without much concern about EQ curve flash workarounds.

T.

Old 07-04-2016, 08:41 AM
murph
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

TW,
I could be wrong, but I'm thinking if the flash works, you will not need the BT LLs. The LLs are used to flatten the eq curve, but the flash flattens the curve before the LLs. According to others, the lastest updates have changed the eq curve which is messing up the LLs so they are going back to preivous updates to get the eq curve the LLs were made for.

I'm definitely no expert at this...lol I'm not even a novice. I'm trying to learn.

Old 07-04-2016, 09:55 AM
Bunker
Stellar HDF Member

Received 464 Likes on 305 Posts

Yes, you CAN get a flash to avoid using the LL's but at $70 for a LL and $50 for a flash that may or may not work (depends on the tech) and COULD possibly need to be re-flashed after a software update, I'd say the $70 invested in a LL would be money better spent.

Bottom line, unless you have a best friend at the dealer and get free flashes, probably best to just use the LL.

Old 07-04-2016, 12:13 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member

Totally picking up what u guys are laying down.

I do think I'm going to stick with the LL and current flash until someone clearly breaks the code on the EQ curve. RF has one strategy, J&M another, and BT yet another thus it really is all over the map.

When I am assured that the curve can be flat lined via flash, I will pull the LLs and install micro EQs in their place.

Great info, and will keep my ear to the ground.

Progress is good and it's just a matter of time before this HU gets blown wide open and the MOCO gets in the boat regarding mainstream audio. They can only **** block good quality for so long.

T.

Last edited by Tailwind; 07-04-2016 at 12:16 PM.
Old 07-05-2016, 07:26 AM
scumBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Bunker
Yes, you CAN get a flash to avoid using the LL's but at $70 for a LL and $50 for a flash that may or may not work (depends on the tech) and COULD possibly need to be re-flashed after a software update, I'd say the $70 invested in a LL would be money better spent.

Bottom line, unless you have a best friend at the dealer and get free flashes, probably best to just use the LL.
30$ here in St paul for the flash...walk in welcome

Old 07-05-2016, 08:09 AM
scumBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Reading though the advisory and seeing their charts and graphs maybe they did some research and they are onto something???

IMO.... my BT LL, 4180 and 7.1p (had all the same in my 12 now 16) change sound characteristics when you speed up...I can clearly hear it, not everytime but there is something going on...

Old 07-08-2016, 06:16 PM
Rockford Fosgate
Platinum Sponsor
Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Great thread here. We hope you all had a great Independence Day and enjoyed time with your friends & family.

Thanks to MURPH (I believe) for calling into our technical support to talk about this. We want to share the research we've encountered with this particular issue.

Overview:
As you know, the 2014 and newer Harley-Davidson® audio systems now incorporate a “high fidelity” EQ Curve. This EQ Curve takes advantage of the system’s low power capability by excessively “boosting” audio. Unfortunately, this prevents owners from upgrading their audio system for better dynamic range and sound quality. From our experience, users can retain this EQ curve when using an external amplifier that can produce up to around 50 Watts per speaker. Using larger amplifiers can cause excessive clipping or speaker popping, resulting in havoc on the amplifier and/or speakers. To understand what is happening, refer to the graph below to visualize the H-D® factory EQ setting. Refer to the cyan, green or magenta plots.

When adding an external amplifier that produces more than around 50 Watts per speaker, there are three options available to eliminate or reduce the effect of the exaggerated EQ setting:

Passive Networks:
Using an in-line filter (line leveler) will “passively” attempt to counteract these boosted EQ frequencies. This is done using notch or conjugate style analog filters. While these may be good enough to get the job done, they are not accurate and can reduce the overall signal voltage available to the amplifier, effectively reducing the overall amplitude (loudness) capability of the audio system.

Active Networks:
Using an electronic network “actively” counteracts these boosted EQ frequencies. These can be done using inverse analog equalization or by a DSP (digital signal processor). These solutions can be expensive to implement. Also, if any adjustments are done by Harley-Davidson® to the EQ curve during your next motorcycle service and your system is flashed-up to the latest software, the active network could be out of sync and need to be re-adjusted to compensate for any new settings.

Reflash the Radio:
Using the radio reflash option effectively resets the EQ curve back to a near “flat” response. That’s all it does … resets the EQ to flat. Refer to the Red or Orange plots in the graph above. It's exactly what we want when adding a decent amplifier to the system. This is the simplest and least expensive method for solving the issue. It eliminates unnecessary components by reducing the number of connections to create the simplest signal path and reduces any chance of noise induction. This method is also the most practical because it preserves signal integrity, resulting in maximum dynamic range and voltage potential from the source unit for optimum sound quality.

For 2014+ Harley-Davidson® motorcycles Rockford Fosgate recommends the easy and low-cost option to reflash the radio when adding an external amplified system producing more than 50 Watts per speaker.

For reference, here is the original Installation Advisory (PDF version available at bottom):
http://rftech.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1215

Last edited by Rockford Fosgate; 07-08-2016 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Added Installation Advisory.
Old 07-08-2016, 11:22 PM
Moto Mike
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 116 Posts

I can't believe the guy's with the Rushmore HU haven't commented on this... such a simple solution to flatten the EQ curve!! I mean line levelers, 191.1 software updates, ect, and all you have to do is go to a Harley dealer and ask for a "Radio Reflash" and presto a flat EQ curve...sounds almost too easy!!... Is the code broken???

Last edited by Moto Mike; 07-08-2016 at 11:28 PM.
Old 07-09-2016, 01:01 AM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Moto Mike
I can't believe the guy's with the Rushmore HU haven't commented on this... such a simple solution to flatten the EQ curve!! I mean line levelers, 191.1 software updates, ect, and all you have to do is go to a Harley dealer and ask for a "Radio Reflash" and presto a flat EQ curve...sounds almost too easy!!... Is the code broken???
Have the popcorn totally ready on this one. The BT folks recommend the settings I currently have in order to make such BT equipment work well, thus gonna sit and watch the show for a while.

Maybe BT will chime in and provide their .2 cents.

T.

Quick Reply: Rockford Fosgate Advisory???