Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ins and Outs

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 06:59 PM
TwoBlue02
Road Captain
Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Ins and Outs

just got a 2010 Ultra. My last bike was an 02 and I ripped out the stock cassette player radio and upgraded everything.

I really don't have bucks at this point to do a full upgrade. So..

What if any input/output connectors are on the back of the stock radio?

What impedance are the stock speakers?

What about hooking up stock HU to a 3rd party amp?

Thanks

Old 07-07-2016, 08:31 PM
CVOJOE
Road Captain
Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by TwoBlue02
just got a 2010 Ultra. My last bike was an 02 and I ripped out the stock cassette player radio and upgraded everything.

Thanks

Two blue,

There are a lot of great options for your motorcycle, Tell us about your riding style, you're listening style and your budget.

That will help these guys that really know what they're doing advise you correctly

Old 07-07-2016, 08:48 PM
TwoBlue02
Road Captain

I like longer rides but sometimes have to take highways. At this point the budget would be setting up some basics so I can build on them later.

Last bike had a Sony HU, soundstream amp and Polk marine speakers. Sounded good but sure I could do better. Had about $750 in it.

I have a Zumo with Bluetooth and mp3 that I would like to be able to listen to through speakers instead of just Sena headsets like I do now. Would really like to end up with Sirius/XM.

Need to go in stages.....

Old 07-08-2016, 04:51 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Thanks
The impedance on the stock speakers are 2 ohms. You need a two or four ohm compatible amp. A great sounding set up on a budget is the Infinity Kappa 62.11i speakers and the Cerwin Vega B54 amp. Your input and output connections will come through the amp.

Old 07-08-2016, 05:33 PM
yooperhog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Gannicus
The impedance on the stock speakers are 2 ohms. You need a two or four ohm compatible amp. A great sounding set up on a budget is the Infinity Kappa 62.11i speakers and the Cerwin Vega B54 amp. Your input and output connections will come through the amp.
^^^agree100%^^^. exact same setup on my bike. loud n clear at 80+ mph

Old 07-08-2016, 05:57 PM
CVOJOE
Road Captain
Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Gannicus
Two blue,
IMO... You can do this in two stages

First stage install the amp and speakers that Gann and Yooperhog recommended. That will give you some pretty good sounding stereo at speed

Next stage, start researching head units that have the options that you're looking for and make that your next installation.

Look at the Hawg-Wired and Biketronics web pages For stereo install kits,
To keep your handlebar controls buy one of the recommended units, That their kits support

Old 07-08-2016, 07:47 PM
TwoBlue02
Road Captain

Good advice guys. I have a broken shoulder (this is why I have a new bike but that is another story) so have not had the faring off yet. Does the stock HU have the proper output connects to go to an amp?

When I went through this one my poor old 02 Ultra I did everything at one time and don't remember.

Old 07-09-2016, 07:02 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Good advice guys. I have a broken shoulder (this is why I have a new bike but that is another story) so have not had the faring off yet. Does the stock HU have the proper output connects to go to an amp?

When I went through this one my poor old 02 Ultra I did everything at one time and don't remember.
With your application the stock HU harness will remain in place. Your high level input connection will come from the existing stock speaker wires to the input side of the AMP using the high level connection plug that should come with the amp. Power, Ground, REM and all the speaker out connections are on the other side of the amp.

Your power and ground will run straight back to the battery. remote wire will run to the orange and white wire on the headlight harness to turn on the amp. The speaker wires from the amp will run to the speakers.

If you're not prepared to install an amp right now you would simply replace the stock speakers with the infinity's. This would only require a 5.25 to 6.5 speaker adapter. But I would highly suggest waiting until you can get an amp and do it all at once.

Last edited by Gannicus; 07-09-2016 at 07:07 AM.
The following users liked this post:
TwoBlue02 (07-09-2016)
Old 07-09-2016, 10:34 AM
TwoBlue02
Road Captain

Gannicus - awesome info - thanks.