Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intercom using CB - wtf ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 12:34 PM
striper.seeker
Tourer

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Intercom using CB - wtf ??

Just got back from a 4-day ride to Toronto and Niagara Falls. First real chance to use the headsets and intercom for a lengthy trip. When cruising at highway speeds, the VOX for the intercom is horrible - like an open mike. Get out the MOM and RTFM - it states put VOX level all the way down to use PTT for Intercom. Well, great. Open mike noise solved. But now, when I push the PTT button to talk to my passenger, the CB icon comes on, static out the *** (like squelch all the way down) and it's hard to hear. The CB is OFF in the BOOM! setup. I really hate this. Is the PTT Intercom intended to operate like this - using the CB? I know the CB is by default designed to use the PTT, maybe that has something to do with it.

The Rushmore's are beginning to irk me to no end with their little nuisances and short cuts. )e.g. who the hell put the PTT button on the throttle side? Obviously someone that doesn't ride.)

Any suggestions or help with this issue? A setting I missed somewhere perhaps?
TIA...
Mark

Old 07-26-2016, 12:48 PM
sailmotion
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7,838 Likes on 3,236 Posts

You should not need to use the PTT for intercom - that's why the intercom system has VOX (voice activated). Naturally, you need to find the balance between too much and too little VOX.

Old 07-26-2016, 12:51 PM
striper.seeker
Tourer

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by sailmotion
You should not need to use the PTT for intercom - that's why the intercom system has VOX (voice activated). Naturally, you need to find the balance between too much and too little VOX.
With a half helmet there is no way to use VOX at 70 mph. Even with the HD half-helmet wrap around headset with uni-directional microphone. Just doesn't work. Tried all the levels of VOX sensitivity. It is designed to be able to be used with PTT, according to the Boom book.

Old 07-26-2016, 12:56 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

Are you using 1/2 or 3/4 helmets?
Wife and I have next to no issues with the intercom using our full face helmets.
Other than her singing causing the vox to activate on a regular basis.... Haha

Edit - I see you stated a 1/2 helmet after I clicked reply. That ain't gunna work so well unless you have a huge windshield.

Old 07-26-2016, 01:14 PM
sailmotion
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7,838 Likes on 3,236 Posts

Originally Posted by striper.seeker
With a half helmet there is no way to use VOX at 70 mph. Even with the HD half-helmet wrap around headset with uni-directional microphone. Just doesn't work. Tried all the levels of VOX sensitivity. It is designed to be able to be used with PTT, according to the Boom book.
Ahh, I learn something new every day. Since I never use a headset with my 1/2 helmet, I didn't even realize there was a procedure for doing so.