Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

harley hidden antenna

Old 09-10-2016, 09:53 AM
oakspeed
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default harley hidden antenna

can anyone help me out with this?

2014 street glide. i had the harley hidden antenna fitted from new. 2 years on i cant get any radio signal. just done the software update and still the same. i dont have the stock antenna to try.

are the hidden antenna's known to be rubbish?
should i just remove the hidden one and reconnect the stock cable and get a new antenna?

if so, any recommendation on what to get.
im based in the UK, so would need to be able to buy this online.

thanks in advance.

Old 09-10-2016, 04:40 PM
Bunker
Stellar HDF Member

Received 464 Likes on 305 Posts

Did it stop working after you did the update?

If you have your stock one, I'd give that a try. That will at least let you know if it's the radio or the antenna.

If the stock one works, I've seen some videos on youtube where you mount it backwards the bend the antenna along the frame and under the tank. Could be worth a try for free.

Old 09-11-2016, 04:55 AM
oakspeed
Tourer

Hi. It just stopped working. That's why I tried the soft ware update. After looking on google It seems the batwing antenna is hit and miss so I will try to borrow a stock antenna and see how that goes.

Old 09-11-2016, 10:55 PM
User 11821
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by oakspeed
Hi. It just stopped working. That's why I tried the soft ware update. After looking on google It seems the batwing antenna is hit and miss so I will try to borrow a stock antenna and see how that goes.

Few possibilities....That antenna is fastened to the inner fairing with 2 sided tape fixed to some mounts that are zip tied to the antenna. It's possible the tape came loose and your antenna fell down atop of the wiring which could affect its reception. As others mentioned, a software update could mess with it too. Are you running an amp inside the fairing (in addition to just the head unit)? The amps, especially most Class-D amps really mess up your reception

I installed an amp last week. My internal antenna became totally useless. I plugged the external antenna back into the head unit and installed a Kuryakyn antenna. My reception is now so-so, but even using an external antenna my reception is weaker than the internal antenna and no amp installed. I'm wondering if the Kuryakyn is to blame. Gonna swap antennas with a buddy running stock and see if I find an improvement.

Old 09-13-2016, 08:23 AM
oakspeed
Tourer

sorted.

some idiot at the dealership had broken the hidden antenna.
it has had 3 head units fitted under warranty due to screen fogging.
ive never removed the bat wing, but when i did the job today, the **** who was in there last had pinched the flat antenna cable between the centre fairing and the front cover. bolt had gone straight through it.

the connector where it fits the head unit was also broken. i guess by just yanking it off instead pushing the release clip. as i say, ive never had the batwing apart, so it must be the dumb dealer.

reconnected stock lead and fitted a used antenna to the rear, and hey presto, instant radio that works.

moral of the story, dont let the chumps at the dealership work on your bike.
they did the 1k service and didnt torque up the drain bolts. just thumb tight. thats why i now service and wrench on my bike myself. but with warranty work you dont have a choice.

Old 09-13-2016, 08:38 AM
Bunker
Stellar HDF Member

Received 464 Likes on 305 Posts

glad you got it sorted