Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time to pick speakers for lowers and I need suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 08:57 PM
RickK
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time to pick speakers for lowers and I need suggestions

I have been slowly building my audio setup. I currently have a Ken-wood 998 HU , BT4180 amp, and BT 7.1 in the upper faing on my 2010 SG. I just added a lower fairing and now I need to decide on my lowers. Below is a list of a couple of ideas, so I would like to hear input or suggestions.

BT Titan II 6.5
Kappa 62.11I 150W 6.5-Inch
Hertz HCX 165
HERTZ MILLE 6.5"

Thanks for your input.
Rick

Last edited by RickK; 12-02-2016 at 09:02 PM.
Old 12-02-2016, 09:33 PM
ridedaddy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I can only compare the titans and the kappas, if those were my two options I would go with the titans. With that said I think the hertz are definitely contenders.

Old 12-02-2016, 11:25 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by RickK
I have been slowly building my audio setup. I currently have a Ken-wood 998 HU , BT4180 amp, and BT 7.1 in the upper faing on my 2010 SG. I just added a lower fairing and now I need to decide on my lowers. Below is a list of a couple of ideas, so I would like to hear input or suggestions.

BT Titan II 6.5
Hertz HCX 165
HERTZ MILLE 6.5"

Thanks for your input.
Rick
The Focal KRC's are nice in that location.

Old 12-03-2016, 12:25 AM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

BT Titan II 6.5
Hertz HCX 165
HERTZ MILLE 6.5"

Thanks for your input.
Rick
Unfortunately most lower fairing speakers will fade out quickly going down the road and turn into background noise at 45-50. So speaker choice depends on weather you want to hear them going down the road or parked. I started off with the BT Titan II 6.5, Arc Moto 602's, and the Mille Pros. Out of these three the Mille Pos sounded the best to me but faded out as mentioned above. Now I'm running the Hertz SV 165.1 SPL midrange drivers in the lowers. Using the same 998 / 4180 amp I can hear these speaker at 70. Not clearly but they add very good fill considering the location. At slower cruising speeds they sound very good. I posted a couple of videos in the Video thread of the Focal KRC 165's and the SV 165's.

Old 12-03-2016, 12:16 PM
RickK
Cruiser

I know the BT's are water proof and life time warranty but are any of the other ones water proof? If not , what is everyone doing to protect them during the rain rides? I would think that it would only take one time getting caught in the rain and $600 down the drain. Are you covering them with something?

Thanks
Rick

Old 12-03-2016, 01:42 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member

I know the BT's are water proof and life time warranty but are any of the other ones water proof? If not , what is everyone doing to protect them during the rain rides? I would think that it would only take one time getting caught in the rain and $600 down the drain. Are you covering them with something?

Thanks
Rick
I use Speaker Cloth and treat it with Kiwi Camp Dry, Heavy Duty Water Repellent then cover the grill or the speaker depending on the location.

Attached Thumbnails Time to pick speakers for lowers and I need suggestions-kiwi-camp-dry-hd-water-repellent.jpg  
Old 12-09-2016, 08:35 PM
RickK
Cruiser

So I have narrowed it down to Hertz SV 165.1 SPL or the Hertz HCX 165.

I know the HCX are about 100 bucks cheaper, but not sure what else is different about them. I will spend the weekend reading on both of them.

Which set would be a better match with the BT4180 and a set of BT 7.1 in the upper fairing? I am not sure what to look for when matching them up. I know there is things like sensitivity response but not sure what it should be.

Old 12-09-2016, 08:42 PM
InthewindMN
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 237 Likes on 209 Posts

I know the HCX are about 100 bucks cheaper, but not sure what else is different about them. I will spend the weekend reading on both of them.

Which set would be a better match with the BT4180 and a set of BT 7.1 in the upper fairing? I am not sure what to look for when matching them up. I know there is things like sensitivity response but not sure what it should be.
I believe the hcx are discontinued so may be hard to get.
I think DD Audio vom6.5 is comparable to the sv but cheaper and marine rated. (Just comparing specs)

Old 12-09-2016, 09:02 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by InthewindMN
I believe the hcx are discontinued so may be hard to get.
I think DD Audio vom6.5 is comparable to the sv but cheaper and marine rated. (Just comparing specs)
I think it was Gann that posted that those DD's wouldn't fit in the lower pods do to the size of the magnet.

Old 12-09-2016, 09:46 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member

Here are a couple of the main differences.
The Hertz HCX are coaxial speakers with a Frequency response of 50 - 22k Hz and a Sensitivity / SPL of 92 dB

The Hertz SV are midrange drivers (no tweeter) with a Frequency response of 100 - 10k Hz and a Sensitivity / SPL of 97 dB

The HCX are going to produce more Low FQ's and a lot more High FQ's and some better SQ. Normally a lower sensitivity will take more power to get louder and in this case the SV's will be louder. But these SV's are designed to take a Lot of power.

So the question is do you want to hear the lower speakers going down the road?

My point is why invest in lower and have a pair of speakers you can't hear, unless your parked.

The following users liked this post:
troop (12-10-2016)

Quick Reply: Time to pick speakers for lowers and I need suggestions