Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hardware advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 07:55 PM
slhanks4
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Hardware advice

I have been reading this section for some time now, but I'm a novice when it comes to audio gear. I have a 2011 Ultra Limited and want to improve the sound from the stock head unit. I have a Soundstream PN4.520D amp and I purchased a mounting shelf from eBay for the fairing. I also have a RF 8 gauge wiring kit and 16 gauge speaker wire. Speakers are still undecided.

My main question is the amp has both low and hi-level inputs, will I get better results using the hi-level inputs or pick up some line out converters and use the low level (RCA) inputs? What are the advantages of one over the other?

Also where/how to mount the power fuse? I know within 18" of the battery, but is there one location that's preferable to mount it?

Thanks!

Old 03-13-2017, 08:54 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by slhanks4
I have been reading this section for some time now, but I'm a novice when it comes to audio gear. I have a 2011 Ultra Limited and want to improve the sound from the stock head unit. I have a Soundstream PN4.520D amp and I purchased a mounting shelf from eBay for the fairing. I also have a RF 8 gauge wiring kit and 16 gauge speaker wire. Speakers are still undecided.

My main question is the amp has both low and hi-level inputs, will I get better results using the hi-level inputs or pick up some line out converters and use the low level (RCA) inputs? What are the advantages of one over the other?

Also where/how to mount the power fuse? I know within 18" of the battery, but is there one location that's preferable to mount it?

Thanks!
How many speakers are you going to run? FYI - That amp performs better with 2 ohm speakers. You can run 4 ohm but it's only 100 watts at 4 ohm. Not enough juice for quality speakers. If you go Hertz definitely not enough juice. You can get by with focals but I wouldn't run the 520.D with Focals. With the 520.D your best option are the Infinity Kappa 62.11i speakers. If you go 4 ohm you'll need to change amps.

The fuse is normally mounted in the battery compartment with a barrel fuse holder.

Old 03-13-2017, 09:41 PM
Kitsoldman
Cruiser
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by slhanks4

Thanks!

This is where I mounted mine next to the ecm plug on the empty plastic on a 2012 limited

The following users liked this post:
rhartlin (03-14-2017)
Old 03-14-2017, 07:49 AM
slhanks4
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Gannicus
How many speakers are you going to run? FYI - That amp performs better with 2 ohm speakers. You can run 4 ohm but it's only 100 watts at 4 ohm. Not enough juice for quality speakers. If you go Hertz definitely not enough juice. You can get by with focals but I wouldn't run the 520.D with Focals. With the 520.D your best option are the Infinity Kappa 62.11i speakers. If you go 4 ohm you'll need to change amps.

The fuse is normally mounted in the battery compartment with a barrel fuse holder.
Sorry - 4 speakers (fairing and tourpack) and yes I am aware of the 2 ohm impedance. I should have mentioned that.

My real concern is the hi level vs low level inputs and the use of line out converters.