Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audio upgrade questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 08:51 PM
whataboutbob
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Audio upgrade questions

Been browsing the forum posts here for a few days and I think I have an idea of what I want for an audio upgrade. So I guess its time to make the "help me post".

I'm riding a 2014 SGS that is still stock everything audio wise, it has satellite and GPS built-in. I listen to a lot of different types of music ( Metal, Rock, Rap, Blues, Country). I want to get something setup that I can listen to them at around 70 MPH ( Max speed limit here ) thumping clearly.

The bike is currently equipped with Rienheart Racing Xtreme dual exhaust (deafening loud when on throttle but not that bad when cursing at 70), Alren Ness Big Sucker II, Dynojet PowerVision Target Tune, and Dirty Air Fast Up Air Ride. Stretched Advant Black bags with their 6x9 speaker lids ( lids not installed, waiting for audio upgrade ). The spare space under the seat and side panels are pretty much all taken up.

I want to keep as much bag space as possible so I'm looking to have the Amp/other under the batwing fairing. I don't want to make any cuts into the fairings or wiring harness for this upgrade. I'm think on using a 4 speaker setup with maybe two horns; 6x9's in the lids, 2 speakers and horns in the fairing.

I was thinking using this parts list.
2 X VO-B3 - In fairing mirror locations
2 X VO-M6x9 - In bag Lids
2 X PA601 ( These seem to be in the lead for me since they are supposed to plug right into the current fairing speaker pods. They are higher though than the PRV's. )
OR
2 X 6MB200 ( Still considering these since they seems to be the best bang for your buck. But they don't fit without drilling holes into them. Is there another way to mount them besides damaging the product? Do the fairing stock speaker pods need to be removed? Are they a benefit or a hindrance? )

1 X D4.90 - In stock location under fairing. ( Will this amp work well with my current speaker selections and will it fit under the fairing in the stock location? )

How would an amp connect to the HU? Is there a harness that can be bought to plug it in or are there connections already on the HU for this? I took a quick look under the faring but nothing really stood out.

What am I missing to make these work great together?
I've read a little about line filters and DSP ( modern EQ??? ), are either of these a must for what I want to achieve?
Do I need to be concerned with the power output of the bike to handle the amp?

I am seeking advice so all of these are open to change.

Old 07-25-2017, 08:58 PM
Adenton528
Road Captain
Received 204 Likes on 148 Posts

I think the D4 may be a little light on juice for what you're wanting.

Also, it's best to have a separate amp channel specifically for the horns for sure.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:06 PM
cpbedor
Road Warrior
Received 201 Likes on 165 Posts

The first obstacle is where you said you didn't want to cut the fairing but you are planning on putting horns in your fairing. Let's start with that major hurdle. Second is running horns in parallel with the MMats in the fairing. Those two ought not be getting the same power. Those are two obstacles.

You'll need a biketronics line leveler that plugs into the speaker leads out of the HU and will then give you RCA inputs to the amp. You definitely don't need to be concerned with your bikes charging system.

There's a couple kinks to work out before you make any final decisions. The PRV MB200s are trash, remove them from your list of possibilities.

The following users liked this post:
whataboutbob (07-27-2017)
Old 07-25-2017, 10:23 PM
matt76cmich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

If this is the setup you end up with I'd get the PA601.8 (8ohm) and run them bridged and in parallel on channels 1/2 of the D4 and then the horns on their own channel on 3/4. Pick up another amp for the lids and put it in the bag, unless you get the BT brackets and put something like the JL MX280/4 in there like T has it mounted and then bridge it to the VO 6x9s.

Just my $0.02

Old 07-25-2017, 10:24 PM
matt76cmich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

And don't forget the Biketronics Line Leveler BT355(s)

whataboutbob (07-27-2017)
Old 07-26-2017, 09:05 AM
whataboutbob
Advanced

Thank you all for the response I do appreciate them.

Originally Posted by cpbedor
The first obstacle is where you said you didn't want to cut the fairing but you are planning on putting horns in your fairing. Let's start with that major hurdle. Second is running horns in parallel with the MMats in the fairing. Those two ought not be getting the same power. Those are two obstacles.

You'll need a biketronics line leveler that plugs into the speaker leads out of the HU and will then give you RCA inputs to the amp. You definitely don't need to be concerned with your bikes charging system.

There's a couple kinks to work out before you make any final decisions. The PRV MB200s are trash, remove them from your list of possibilities.
I thought the horns could fit into where the mirrors are at. I was reading another post and just "assumed" you could remove the mirrors and replace them with the horns. So I guess the horns are out for now, maybe later if I think they are worth to risk of messing up on cutting my inner fairing.

Originally Posted by matt76cmich
If this is the setup you end up with I'd get the PA601.8 (8ohm) and run them bridged and in parallel on channels 1/2 of the D4 and then the horns on their own channel on 3/4. Pick up another amp for the lids and put it in the bag, unless you get the BT brackets and put something like the JL MX280/4 in there like T has it mounted and then bridge it to the VO 6x9s.

Just my $0.02

If the horns are out and the MMats are the speaker of choice for the fairing. Would I still need to look at a different or additional amp for both sets of speakers?

What are BT brackets?

Old 07-27-2017, 01:28 PM
whataboutbob
Advanced

Reevaluated my parts list, skills, and knowledge. Decided to go with a RF HD14-TKIT and T1692. Figure this is a good starting point for an upgrade and if it doesn't work out I can always expand later.

I am going to see what they sound like before getting the BT335's, RF recommends turning the bass and treble all the way down.

Old 07-27-2017, 01:31 PM
Adenton528
Road Captain
Received 204 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by whataboutbob
Reevaluated my parts list, skills, and knowledge. Decided to go with a RF HD14-TKIT and T1692. Figure this is a good starting point for an upgrade and if it doesn't work out I can always expand later.

I am going to see what they sound like before getting the BT335's, RF recommends turning the bass and treble all the way down.

Is RF still recommending the 2 amp 8 speaker flash?

Old 07-27-2017, 01:46 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by whataboutbob

That's gonna be a $1000 mistake bud. Don't sell yourself short on ability. There's enough help here on this forum that Stevie Wonder would feel at ease tackling this job. I guarantee you that Alex @ Bagger Audio Lab can put together a system for you for less than that crap will cost you and will flat out rock. Your call bud but I wouldn't do that if it were me.

prowler58 (07-27-2017)
Old 07-27-2017, 01:54 PM
whataboutbob
Advanced

Originally Posted by Adenton528
Is RF still recommending the 2 amp 8 speaker flash?
I was reading on some other forums that they still recommend it but, that a lot of HD dealers aren't performing the flash anymore. I haven't gotten to that point yet so Ill find out soon. From what the install video description shows on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS23XfoMMx8" they just recommend flashing the HU at one of their dealers. There are none close to where I am at.

From what I have read the BT335 flatten out the bass curve of the HU. Arc Audio uses a resistor in its wires to do the same thing. So I'm going to try turning everything down and start low on the tuning process.

If it seems I'm losing out on something or I get distortion I'm going to go the BT355 route.

I already have a multi meter and I have started reviewing the tuning process for amps online. A nice thing with the amp though is that it has a builtin detector for clipping. Not sure how accurate it is but I think its better than I am.