Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Polk Audio MM692 6x9's in the Lids

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 01:22 PM
HogPilot54
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by cshocker
I ran those before a set of Pro's. I thought they were great. They don't hit as hard as the Pro's, but was nice to have marine and super light weight.
Two important point for me as I stated in my original post. And based on flusat's comments, I may have to try these!

Old 08-11-2017, 10:18 PM
flcusat
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Doing more tests tonight the Polks are waaaaayyyyy better sounding speaker than the Pioneers. Now at 150W the Pioneers are louder.
Take a look at these pictures.
I did this test with the Pink Noise @ -6db that has been posted by AAWAv and Slyedog

Attached Thumbnails Polk Audio MM692 6x9's in the Lids-pink-noise-150w-pioneer-6900ro.jpg   Polk Audio MM692 6x9's in the Lids-pink-noise-150w-polk-mm692.jpg  

Last edited by flcusat; 08-11-2017 at 10:46 PM.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:24 PM
flcusat
Tourer

Sorry for the picture side ways. Looks like there is a restriction on the size and format and the site did flip them when the pictures where loaded.

Old 08-11-2017, 10:36 PM
flcusat
Tourer

I just did another test with the Polks at 225 Watts and still the Pioneers are louder.

Attached Thumbnails Polk Audio MM692 6x9's in the Lids-ping-noise-225w-polk-mm692.jpg  
Old 08-11-2017, 10:43 PM
flcusat
Tourer

As some of the most respetable members here had said before, you can not go by the specs.
According to Polk, the MM692 have a Sensitivity of 94 db, while the Pioneers are ratd at 92 db (both @ 1W/1 meter). I was expecting the Polks to be louder than the Pioneers specially at that second test with that much power.
granted, they sound way better with good bass, but if you want loud the Pioneers are the way to go.
I'm pretty sure that the horns in the Pioneers have a lot to do with this.

Old 08-11-2017, 11:47 PM
HogPilot54
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

So, what are you saying exactly? Which ones have better bass? I have the Polk MM652's in my tour pak pods, so the highs are covered there. Are the Polk MM692's as good as the DD VO's on the low end?

Old 08-11-2017, 11:53 PM
flcusat
Tourer

Originally Posted by HogPilot54
So, what are you saying exactly? Which ones have better bass? I have the Polk MM652's in my tour pak pods, so the highs are covered there. Are the Polk MM692's as good as the DD VO's on the low end?
Between the Polk 692 and the Pioneer 6900, the Polks has better bass and better sound quality. The Pioneers were louder, even when I applied 150 Watts to the Pioneers and 225 Watts to the Polks.

I haven't tested the DD VOs but Alex, Gannicus and other members that have tried them are confirming that the DD has better bass.

The following users liked this post:
HogPilot54 (08-12-2017)
Old 08-11-2017, 11:57 PM
flcusat
Tourer

Here are some FFT results.
Look at the peak on the 6900s between 5 and 13 KHZ.
In the other hand there is a little valley on the PolKs between 400 HZ and 3Khz

Attached Thumbnails Polk Audio MM692 6x9's in the Lids-fft-pioneer-6900pro.jpg   Polk Audio MM692 6x9's in the Lids-fft-polk-m692.jpg  
Old 08-12-2017, 07:51 AM
cpbedor
Road Warrior
Received 201 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by flcusat
Between the Polk 692 and the Pioneer 6900, the Polks has better bass and better sound quality.
All due respect, this is a judgement call based on everyone's individual ear, type of music listened to and whether the bike is sitting still vs moving down the road. For flcusat, the polks have a better SQ while sitting in the garage. The only real way to determine what sounds best for you is to put them in and ride for an hour with your music at your volume. I'm not trying to undermine anyone's research but graphs and pink noise doesn't tell the story, riding down the road on a back to back comparison will tell you what your ear likes to hear. I'm not endorsing or dismissing any of the aforementioned speakers, I'm just saying that people considering speakers should take this research into consideration but at the end of the day, sq is about what it sounds like in motion with your own ear deciding.

Old 08-12-2017, 08:16 AM
flcusat
Tourer

Originally Posted by cpbedor
All due respect, this is a judgement call based on everyone's individual ear, type of music listened to and whether the bike is sitting still vs moving down the road. For flcusat, the polks have a better SQ while sitting in the garage. The only real way to determine what sounds best for you is to put them in and ride for an hour with your music at your volume. I'm not trying to undermine anyone's research but graphs and pink noise doesn't tell the story, riding down the road on a back to back comparison will tell you what your ear likes to hear. I'm not endorsing or dismissing any of the aforementioned speakers, I'm just saying that people considering speakers should take this research into consideration but at the end of the day, sq is about what it sounds like in motion with your own ear deciding.
I 100% agree with you.
I'm doing this research for myself, to have a rough idea on what to expect before taking apart the fairing and at the same time have some fun, but I though that I would share my results.
It is easier for me to get home from work, shower and seat in the AC and do some testing to have an idea, than go outside and do all this on the bike in the Miami heat.
I have a fairing with 6x9 with the Pioneer 6900 on it. The most important thing to me is how loud the front stage is at 70 - 80 MPHs. Of course SQ matters, but I'm not sacrificing the loudness of the 6900s in favor of the SQ of the MM692.
By the way those graphs were not taking in the garage, but in my office. I put the speakers in Metra's 6x9 enclosures and they are sitting on top of my desk. So I have one MM692 in one enclosure and the 6900 in the other and it is just the matter of using the balance to go from one to the other.
By the way, those graphs are most likely affected by the accoustic characteristics of my office which is not an anecohic chamber by any means.

Last edited by flcusat; 08-12-2017 at 08:32 AM.

Quick Reply: Polk Audio MM692 6x9's in the Lids