Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help With a Head Unit

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 09:06 PM
Dean Turek
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need Help With a Head Unit

Hi guys,
I use an I pod to play my music while riding my 2007 ultra classic electra glide. My question is, does anyone make a head unit that would allow me to flip thru my songs using the handle bar controls?

Thanks
Dean

Old 09-07-2017, 11:29 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean Turek
Hi guys,
I use an I pod to play my music while riding my 2007 ultra classic electra glide. My question is, does anyone make a head unit that would allow me to flip thru my songs using the handle bar controls?

Thanks
Dean
Yes Sir!! Sony, Alpine, Pioneer and Kenwood all make solid units.

The following users liked this post:
Dean Turek (09-08-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 09:50 PM
Dean Turek
Novice

Originally Posted by Gannicus
Yes Sir!! Sony, Alpine, Pioneer and Kenwood all make solid units.
I am looking at a Sony MEX-M71BT for $160. I am wondering if it is decent or if I really need to spend the $300 plus for more expensive units?

Old 09-09-2017, 10:49 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

I am looking at a Sony MEX-M71BT for $160. I am wondering if it is decent or if I really need to spend the $300 plus for more expensive units?
No Sir! You do not! Any unit in the $200 dollar range is good enough. Then focus on the amp and speakers bro. That's gonna be the heart of your sound system.

Old 09-10-2017, 01:41 AM
Dean Turek
Novice

No Sir! You do not! Any unit in the $200 dollar range is good enough. Then focus on the amp and speakers bro. That's gonna be the heart of your sound system.
Been doing more thinking about how concerned one should be about the radio being water proof and not just marine grade. I started thinking more about this today after washing my bike. In the long run would a head unit like the aquatic av last longer and end up costing less do to not needing to be replaced from water damage?

Old 09-10-2017, 06:01 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

Been doing more thinking about how concerned one should be about the radio being water proof and not just marine grade. I started thinking more about this today after washing my bike. In the long run would a head unit like the aquatic av last longer and end up costing less do to not needing to be replaced from water damage?
Personally I don't think anything is "waterproof" especially when it comes to electronics. I've had several different aftermarket radios in my bikes over the years. Some marine grade some not. I've always used a rain cover and been caught in plenty torrential downpours and not one of those radios failed due to water damage. On the other hand I've seen the so called stock radio that claims its water proof fail in the rain. So who knows bro? I wouldn't overthink it too much for $200 bucks.

Old 09-17-2017, 09:43 AM
Dean Turek
Novice

I have no amp. My speakers are bike tronics model BT447 100 watts rms/200w peak. what do you recommend for an amp? I don't have unlimited funds so need to keep it realistic.

I am wonder one thing. The current set up with stock radio and no amp sounds good to me...so why add an amp with my new head unit?