Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flat Response Boom Flash

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 02:32 PM
FLYINGBROKE
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Harley can no longer flash the recommended flash and I have no Indy shops in state that can .don't know that I need it just know for sure different bin file equal different base line and just always wanted to have best starting point .if it was not big deal then why would bike specific shops have spent money on Digi tech them self's.

Old 10-06-2017, 09:22 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

Guys ,,,,

I do not mean to sound like a know it all and I will NOT continue beating this FLASH drum here on HD forums ,,,,,,,

we flash approximately 1,000 Harley radios per year with the J&M custom flash, and I have personally tried it 1,90000 different ways using the latest Harley digital technician down at the local dealer ,,,,,

YOU CAN NO LONGER do it right with the HARLEY digital technician for an aftermarket amp ,,,,,

Old 10-06-2017, 10:51 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

JM John,
I'm still missing what's so special about ur flash cause all ur doing is exactly what Harley is still capable of providing. They will do the "Ultra" flash and that exactly what u described a few posts prior.
With all ur 1,90000 attempts at flashing, have u really not come up with a better flash than the standard ultra flash? 2 amp and 8 speaks seems to provide the flattest curve and most stabile volume flex thus the discussion about flash customization beyond what the dealers are authorized to provide.
The "trust me cause I have done shix below average 1000 times a year" (for $75 bucks) just won't work around here. These boys are way past the 2 amp 4 speaker ultra flash.

T.

Last edited by Tailwind; 10-06-2017 at 10:52 PM.
Old 10-07-2017, 06:32 AM
Respect
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

In the diag4bike software there's the typical speaker config but then there's an option for "J&M Audio Custom" but there' sno drill-down menu, its just an option to flash. No clue what it does.

Right now I'm leaning to Haze's recommendation (8/2) and will measure it to see how it compares to stock Ultra Limited (4/0) config. I'd be happy if it took the volume curve out.

Old 10-07-2017, 08:21 AM
BaggerAudioLab
Banned
Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Respect
In the diag4bike software there's the typical speaker config but then there's an option for "J&M Audio Custom" but there' sno drill-down menu, its just an option to flash. No clue what it does.

Right now I'm leaning to Haze's recommendation (8/2) and will measure it to see how it compares to stock Ultra Limited (4/0) config. I'd be happy if it took the volume curve out.
We use the 8/2 flash. There was an advisory a while back either by Arc or Fosgate that showed graphs for each flash and the 8/2 was the flattest. Never experimented with other flashes, this one always does the trick.

Old 10-07-2017, 09:34 AM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

In my opinion ,,, THE BEST Harley radio flash for an aftermarket amp, using the Techno-Research digital technician is as follows: ,,,,,

FIRST: 4-speakers, upper-fairing, rear-pods, no-amp ,,,,,,

SECOND: ENABLE amp #1

THIRD: Enable amp #2 ,,,,,

that is the flash we use for all J&M ROKKER Stage4 systems ,,,,,,

it lowers the output of the radio, flattens out the EQ, activates the distortion limiters inside the DSP section of the Harley Infotainment radio ,,,,

also turns on rear channel outputs, activates front/rear fade control, bass, treble and auto-volume controls from the radio itself ,,,, (NOT relying upon Harley external amplifiers for these features) ,,,

with the 8-speaker/multiple amplifier flash using the Harley dealer’s digital technician, the radio output is lowered, but the signal is not as clean, and the front/rear fader controls are not activated inside the radio, nor do the bass/treble controls have the same effect ,,,,,

same goes with the AVC control with the Harley dealer flash ,,,,,

the above is free and accurate information that works ,,,,

for those that have access to the Techno-research digital technician, just try it ,,,, you will hear what I have been referring to ,,,,,

if all you have to “bitch” about is J&M charging $75 for the proper flash for your Harley radio, you are missing the whole point ,,,,

Old 10-07-2017, 09:37 AM
cpbedor
Road Warrior
Received 201 Likes on 165 Posts

I had the 2 amp 8 speakers flash when I started installing aftermarket amps and speakers and was told to go get the stick ultra flash which I did. Now the flash to have is the 2 amp 8 speaker flash and I can’t get it back unless I pull my radio and send it somewhere. Frustrating to say the least.

Old 10-07-2017, 09:48 AM
FLYINGBROKE
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I plain missed the boat on 2amp 8 speaker
jm says can do his flash on mail in I have asked couple times if Alex can do mail in and will ask again Alex can you do your flash on mail in unit.

Old 10-07-2017, 09:50 AM
lyork
Stellar HDF Member
Received 450 Likes on 318 Posts

I did the 2 amp , 8 speaker flash. How well does this work with the Arc Moto 600.4 amp and AD Design 62 speakers??

Old 10-07-2017, 09:56 AM
Respect
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by cpbedor
I had the 2 amp 8 speakers flash when I started installing aftermarket amps and speakers and was told to go get the stick ultra flash which I did. Now the flash to have is the 2 amp 8 speaker flash and I can’t get it back unless I pull my radio and send it somewhere. Frustrating to say the least.

I suspect there's more guys out there who can do it than you might think. Diag4Bike is in a lot of indy repair shops, they just aren't audio guys. I'd be very surprised if there wasn't a shop within a reasonable distance to you with the tool and software. It's SUPER EASY for them to do even if they've never explored that section of the menus.

Just ask the shops if they have a Diag4Bike computer. Can't hurt to ask around.

Quick Reply: Flat Response Boom Flash