Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fairing Mods for 62ix?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 10:34 AM
RetAF
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fairing Mods for 62ix?

I've been using "search" and reading the "Official 2014 audio upgrade saga" in an attempt to whittle my system upgrade path down to a budget 2 or 4 ohm system. I like what I read about the previous generation Kappas and see these as a pretty good 2 ohm solution, but i'm not sure if there was ever a resolution of the "top mount with new speaker grills vs internal mount with potential quality degradation" question, or if the new gen speakers will perform as well. So... a few final questions to help me wrap up the 2 ohm research:
1. Are these fairing drop in replacements ... what are the required modifications, if any?
2. For rear, TP mounting - are these satisfactory amplified or system driven upgrades? I'm planning to purchase a 4 ch amp, speakers, and accessories to drive the fairing speakers this year and completing the rear channels next year.
3. If Kappas are adequate for non-amplified use (temporarily), is there a vtwin installation solution to ease that install?

Thanks guys...I'm working on 4 ch solution too. I need to wrap up the research this upcoming week so I'm dedicating a weekend in here to do it now.

Old 08-05-2018, 05:21 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 410 Likes on 377 Posts

If you are going to mount the kappas in the front pods of a Rushmore, they need to be mounted on the inside of the pods and will require some modification to the pods. There's a YouTube video out there on the procedure. You will also need the BT line levelers and a quality amp. There is no non amplified solution for sled audio. Whatever you decide. you're gonna need an amp.

Old 08-05-2018, 05:58 PM
Skrimps
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I just installed the 62ix in my 2016 SGS so I can definitely explain the installation for the front pods. I did not run the 62.11i's prior to the 62ix, but according to SBates each generation of Kappa's are better than the previous generation so I trust that the 62ix is better than the previous 62.11i's. The Kappa 62ix will need to be mounted inside the pod. There really is no way around it. The speaker cone and the surrounding speaker frame will rub against the inner fairing if mounted from the front. The top screw that holds the speaker grill on will most likely make contact with the frame of the speaker.

Luckily, splitting the pods and mounting the speaker from the inside is very easy to do with simple hand tools. Once you have the pod out there are 5 torx head screws that hold the speaker pod halves together. Remove these screws and the pod halves seperate. On the back side of the front section of the pod are the four plastic studs that the stock speaker screwed into. Just drill a small hole in each of the 4 posts from the rear and screw the speaker in from the rear with the short black screws that were supplied with the speaker. It holds the speaker to the front half of the pod quite securely. After it's mounted you can hook up the + and - wires to the speaker. Add a little poly fil to the pod if you wish (not required) and put the pod back together. Repeat for the other side. This does place the speaker away from the speaker grills but I could see no performance degradation mounting the speaker this way. In fact it sounded pretty much the same to me.

If you don't wish to do the mods you can look at other speakers on the market that will mount to the front of the pod like the stock speakers, but they would need to have a thin frame (the discontinued Hertz HCX 165 or the CPX 165 Pro will mount fine this way, among some others).

It sounds harder than it really is but I would be more than willing to help you once you get ready.

I can't help you on the tour pak question, but I would not bother installing the kappa's without an amplifier. You will need a BT355 LOC with the front speaker connectors to make the installation plug and play and to flatten the wild EQ curve sent from the stock head unit. But before buying anything you would want to be sure of the amp choice as well as the speaker choice (2ohm or 4ohm) since you will be adding the rear speakers later. The Kappa's do match well with the Cerwin Vega B52, that I do know. You will want a good 4 channel amp that can provide adequate power for your final intended setup.

Last edited by Skrimps; 08-05-2018 at 06:07 PM.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:00 PM
RetAF
Advanced

Thanks for the info. I think i have seem the video Gannicus mentioned. Was there any trimming required on the back half of the pod needed?

Last edited by RetAF; 08-05-2018 at 07:36 PM.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:19 PM
Skrimps
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

No trimming was required.

The following users liked this post:
RetAF (08-06-2018)
Old 08-05-2018, 07:26 PM
RetAF
Advanced

Good dea... no trimming. How's the performance with the b52? Any inputs (anyone) on a 4ch 2ohm amp?

Last edited by RetAF; 08-05-2018 at 07:35 PM.
Old 08-05-2018, 11:19 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by RetAF
Good dea... no trimming. How's the performance with the b52? Any inputs (anyone) on a 4ch 2ohm amp?
Brother, get a 4 channel amp that plays 150ish Watts and is 2 ohm stable. SS PN4 1000d is just one of several budget amps that won't tie ur hands to 2 ohm speakers.

T

Old 08-06-2018, 07:07 AM
RetAF
Advanced

You convinced me...SS it is. Speakers and Amp on the way. Waiting for BT to get back to me later today on the military vs. forum discount. Thanks guys. If the breakout kit isn't too much I may just spring for the whole enchilada.

Old 08-06-2018, 11:57 AM
RetAF
Advanced

Couple quick notes - Biketronics gave me a military AND forum discount. Also, when I go to 4ch operation she provided a couple options to keep the cost and/or complexity down: 1. Purchase an RCA adapter and use the single BT355 for both front and rear (no fade), or 2. Purchase 1 BT355 and rear wiring harness (~ $180) for fade. I'm sure this information is one of the threads somewhere but I didn't see it.

Old 08-07-2018, 05:36 PM
RetAF
Advanced

Originally Posted by Skrimps
On the back side of the front section of the pod are the four plastic studs that the stock speaker screwed into. Just drill a small hole in each of the 4 posts from the rear and screw the speaker in from the rear with the short black screws that were supplied with the speaker. It holds the speaker to the front half of the pod quite securely.
Amp and kappa speakers are due in tomorrow, the BT355 and amp install kit are due in Thursday. The fairing is off and left speaker pod is off and split.
1. Did you remove the HD speaker harness from the pod and wire the speaker directly from the amp?
2. Did you use a specific drill on the front pod?

Last edited by RetAF; 08-07-2018 at 05:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Fairing Mods for 62ix?