Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning Continued

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 02:29 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 873 Likes on 741 Posts
Default Tuning Continued

As a follow on to the previous thread that Marshall & Frenchie were inquiring about PRV Neo 6.5 tunes, hopefully we can all define some helpful tuning parameters that are beneficial for cavemen like myself. Keeping in mind that no two tunes will be the same however will have numerous similarities.

On with the shix show:

I think it's pretty significant to know what range a speaker will even play well in before wasting too much time on the tune. If it won't play 80hz at reasonable watts and that's what ur looking for then ur shix out of luck.

So the first question for the OP and Frenchie would be what is the lowest freq u can expect that PRV to play? Then the next question might be when u want to roll off on the highs for a specific speaker?

Once u define that basic sandbox then u can move on to the tuning. And tuning does not mean boosting the shix out of freq ranges. I would suggest that 3db would be the highest u would ever want to boost anything. For us average joes, prob 2 dB might be a good place to be.

Flame away please!!! We are all here to learn.

T

Old 10-21-2018, 02:41 PM
USAproud
Road Warrior
Received 119 Likes on 111 Posts

Interesting post that I will be paying close attention to.

Old 10-21-2018, 02:47 PM
InthewindMN
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 238 Likes on 210 Posts

Great topic that isn’t discussed enough. Let’s add slope into the equation.

Old 10-21-2018, 02:51 PM
marshallb
Road Warrior
Received 173 Likes on 158 Posts

T are you of the opinion that speakers should always be bandpassed? I don't want to put words in your mouth but it seems implied by your post. Perosonally I've always let papaer cone midrange/midbass spekaers roll off naturally, of course I've not heavily invested in processing power in the past. I had one car with an alpine pxa-h701. I'm a car audio guy so most of my questions and confusion may be rooted in that.

Old 10-21-2018, 04:42 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by marshallb
T are you of the opinion that speakers should always be bandpassed? I don't want to put words in your mouth but it seems implied by your post. Perosonally I've always let papaer cone midrange/midbass spekaers roll off naturally, of course I've not heavily invested in processing power in the past. I had one car with an alpine pxa-h701. I'm a car audio guy so most of my questions and confusion may be rooted in that.
I think this is a run what ya brung thing. If u have the capability to band pass then run with it. I tend to roll off the woofs a bit lower than specs. IMHO some speakers will have a good natural roll off while others will turn to shix if u let them run. Like r bud Danny that recently installed the MLK 1650.3 knowing he was not gonna DSP his system, set the HP at 90 and let them biotches run wild as it's a damn solid low maintenance speaker. Most PAs are not plug and play like that. They need a defined sandbox and r usually installed to fill specific roles in multifaceted systems.

T

Old 10-21-2018, 04:43 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by InthewindMN
Great topic that isn’t discussed enough. Let’s add slope into the equation.
Add away brother!!!! What slopes u using on 6.5s?

T

Old 10-21-2018, 04:50 PM
InthewindMN
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 238 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Tailwind
Add away brother!!!! What slopes u using on 6.5s?

T
That’s the question I have. What is best?
Not sure if it’s right but I tend to use a higher slope when pushing the lows closer to specs. It seems to give a sharp, crisp punch as opposed to a soggy boom. I suppose it’s more of a preference thing.

Old 10-21-2018, 04:59 PM
marshallb
Road Warrior
Received 173 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Tailwind
I think this is a run what ya brung thing. If u have the capability to band pass then run with it. I tend to roll off the woofs a bit lower than specs. IMHO some speakers will have a good natural roll off while others will turn to shix if u let them run. Like r bud Danny that recently installed the MLK 1650.3 knowing he was not gonna DSP his system, set the HP at 90 and let them biotches run wild as it's a damn solid low maintenance speaker. Most PAs are not plug and play like that. They need a defined sandbox and r usually installed to fill specific roles in multifaceted systems.

T
Am I understanding correctly that in the case of the MLK Danny did not use the outbound crossover which would have made the mid in a band pass filter? Normally for me anything other than paper cone will not roll off naturally they have weird cone break up.

Old 10-21-2018, 05:08 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by marshallb
Am I understanding correctly that in the case of the MLK Danny did not use the outbound crossover which would have made the mid in a band pass filter? Normally for me anything other than paper cone will not roll off naturally they have weird cone break up.
He installed everything that came in the box including the crossovers. No DSP.

T

Old 10-21-2018, 05:23 PM
Tailwind
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by InthewindMN
That’s the question I have. What is best?
Not sure if it’s right but I tend to use a higher slope when pushing the lows closer to specs. It seems to give a sharp, crisp punch as opposed to a soggy boom. I suppose it’s more of a preference thing.
On the ARC DSP w 6.5s I'm usually 12 hp and 6 lp getting a bit more natural exit and some overlap, but I roll off a bit early.
There r some general rules of thumb for this based on a bunch of circumstances including speaker size, thus whether right or wrong I'm guessing that personal preference seems to be the norm.

T

Quick Reply: Tuning Continued